Are we being harsh on Stockdale?

I haven't seen the goals again since the match, but at the time I didn't think any of the goals were his fault.   Just terrible defending.  I thought he was poor at Wigan, but that was just a pre-season friendly.

He's a good goalie.  And experienced.  And he knows how to waste time.  When Wcombe played at Hillsboro late last season, he spent most of the last half hour pretending to have cramp.   Unsporting but effective.    Let's get behind him.  He got in League one team of the season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I haven't seen the goals again since the match, but at the time I didn't think any of the goals were his fault.   Just terrible defending.  I thought he was poor at Wigan, but that was just a pre-season friendly.

He's a good goalie.  And experienced.  And he knows how to waste time.  When Wcombe played at Hillsboro late last season, he spent most of the last half hour pretending to have cramp.   Unsporting but effective.    Let's get behind him.  He got in League one team of the season.

Seems you can't edit. 

Just watched the goals again and Stockdale would have expected his defenders to clear all those crosses.   Have we still no-one who can head a ball away?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Judging the Manager not the players, common theme is DM and his inability to sort the defence, whichever players he picks.

Wake me up when you can see this...or are you busy Happy Clapping DM' tactical masterclasses.

So you can past judgement on players after one game.!! 

Fair dos, you must be one of the worlds top football scouts.

I wont debate DM because you passed judgement on him ages ago. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

Has it though?

We've conceded 23 goals in our last 23 games. (And scored 46).

This is from the point our wingback system really started to bed in, by February, a month after the covid outbreak.

I'm sure we could tighten up a little bit by focusing on defence, maybe get that down from 1.0 goals conceded per game to maybe 0.9 (Rotherham were best last year at 0.71, Wigan & MK Dons tied for second at 0.96). But at the expense of scoring more goals.

But teams are always going to concede some goals. I honestly think it would be easier to swap out Iorfa than to change the whole system and start again.

Don’t go using facts on here mate, the FIFA managers know better lol

Would be interesting to compare the goals scored per game over the same period, does tightening up at the back cost them at the other end. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kirksandallowl said:

Dunno not a keeper or keeper coach, but you’ve kind of proved my point.  Did Stockdale do anything different to any number of modern day keepers? That’s why I’m thinking we’re are maybe being a bit harsh. 

I wasnt looking to disprove it in any way, just interested in other views because you can guarantee that had Dawson not come for a cross on the edge of the 6 yard box then there'd be some on here in meltdown

• Like 1

The same people saying he should have come for those crosses are the same ones who would be slagging him off if he came for the crosses and missed them lol 

It does make me laugh though that we sign an experienced GK and a bunch of experienced CBs and end up looking a complete chaotic mess at the back. Very Wednesday that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The same people saying he should have come for those crosses are the same ones who would be slagging him off if he came for the crosses and missed them lol 

It does make me laugh though that we sign an experienced GK and a bunch of experienced CBs and end up looking a complete chaotic mess at the back. Very Wednesday that. 

Not sure that fear of making a hash of it is a good reason not to attempt to though.

For me he arguably should have come for at least one. That said I don't think he had a mare but he wasnt great and we all know that Dawson would have been annihilated on here by many for a similar performance 

4 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Not sure that fear of making a hash of it is a good reason not to attempt to though.

For me he arguably should have come for at least one. That said I don't think he had a mare but he wasnt great and we all know that Dawson would have been annihilated on here by many for a similar performance 

Like Stockdale has you mean?

41 minutes ago, BIG D said:

No keeper in their right mind would have come for the 3rd

Shilton, Grobbelar, Schmeichel, Hodge to name but 4 off the top of my head would have.

but then again they always say a decent keeper has to be a bit daft

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'd like Stockdale to be immediately put on a very serious fitness regime 

I don’t agree with this.

he is a fit footballer - he has been this shape for a long time and been a good goalkeeper.  

These comments wind me up as much as the ones that say Alex hunt needs to eat 55 steaks a day , snort steroids and live in a plant pot to be any good at football. 

• Like 1

Just now, mcmigo said:

I don’t agree with this.

he is a fit footballer - he has been this shape for a long time and been a good goalkeeper.  

These comments wind me up as much as the ones that say Alex hunt needs to eat 55 steaks a day , snort steroids and live in a plant pot to be any good at football. 

Yes but on this occasion I'm correct

I was correct when I said the same about Pressman too

Owlstalk Shop

15 minutes ago, Ian said:

Shilton, Grobbelar, Schmeichel, Hodge to name but 4 off the top of my head would have.

but then again they always say a decent keeper has to be a bit daft

Yeah would have been one of Grobbelars many dropped b0ll0cks.