Should football fans be allowed to drink in grounds like cricket?

I’d say no, unfortunately.

I say unfortunately, because the vast amount would behave just as well with a beer in their hand as they do already.

It would be the already unruly minority (without beer in the stands) that would just become even worse. 

Shame, because there’s nothing better than watching sport with a pint, IMO. 

1 hour ago, wakefieldowl said:

There is a big drinking culture at cricket, especially international games.

The difference is that cricket is played and supported with a different attitude.

There is no cheating, feigning injury, trying to con the umpire. It is played with respect and with great attitude from intetnational to village cricket level.

You have to be a lot braver and tougher to play cricket. Most wimpy cheating footballers would be terrified playing cricket

Not sure how a player diving makes someone get hammered / smashed and be a tugger 

• Like 1

If you look at how football fans celebrate a goal compared to how cricket fans celebrate a 6 or wicket 

It’s easy to see how control would be lost 

then look at the controversy in football poor decision makings the emotions and tensions in stands compared to cricket it’s not a great idea to full that full of beer.

what I would say is it’s been a long time from the 70s / 80s

why not start of trialing it at grounds in small section of a supervised section of selected home grounds 

keep raising the bar 

if you started this year by next year you could have one stand completely to open to drinking 

I doubt it would ever get to the stage where away fans can drink in the stand and I think you would always need a section for a non drinking stand for those that probably won’t want to be caked in beer. For some it’s kind of part of the celebration

in Hillsborough maybe start off with selected gangways in the north stand ( cop end ) away from the way fans to trial drinking in stands I’m sure these seats will become popular then role it out to the cop and the north 

southstand non drinking in stands except corporate areas 

maybe the corporate areas is a good place to start the I’m stand drinking 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OneManBand said:

No, because football fans are idiots and they'll chuck it all over the people around them.

💯..my last expierence of boozin all thru the game was Czech Republic v England in 2019..there was about 40 of us on the their end...as soon as they scored they got drenched in booze garymegsonwas stood wi some bàlby owls as it happens

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The point is its discrimination when one group are allowed to do something and another group aren't.

If we said the white people could not drink (after all they cause more trouble when drunk) the place would quite rightly go nuts.  

Where else do we stop one group of people from doing something whilst letting others do something?

I can't off hand think of one, though I'm sure I will be shot down

If someone breaks the law then they should be punished for it, if that's at the cricket, rugby, or indeed football.

Mines a pint of Stones.  Cheers

Absolute drivel

• Love 1

I could be trusted to drink a beer and watch a game without doing anything stupid. I've done it in the past. Trouble is, some other people who like football can't be trusted to do it so I am tarred with the same brush. Nowhere else in society would this be accepted or allowed. 

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I give you ball tampering, claiming catches which weren't, fixing games, ... loads of examples after one minute of googling.

Eye, Steve Smith and the others springed to mind. Lost his captaincy over it. Only appeared contrite because he was caught and the others.

6 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Where is the drivel in his post? He's absolutely right, I am punished because some people who I don't know, but who share my interest in football, can't behave properly. 

The fact that football fans have apparently been grouped together to be discriminated against then compared to discrimination against people of a certain colour. 

Pretty simple really.

Going by your logic i believe that I should be able to walk around the town centre waving a gun and a machete around. Just because some people I don’t know share my interests in guns and machetes can’t behave doesn’t mean I should be punished for it.

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

We've already established that you bring nothing to debates from other threads, so we can set aside your "argument". 

Thank you, for your contribution. 

Says the poster who was adamant that everyone had received their refunds

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Says the poster who was adamant that everyone had received their refunds

And who also believes that being discriminated against as a “football fan” is the same as being discriminated against for being a certain colour.

• Like 1

Most people who go to the cricket also go to football . Strange how the atmosphere is different. I think in general football just means more to more people. Where as cricket is a day out ont lash and it's a bonus if your team wins