Should football fans be allowed to drink in grounds like cricket?

So just checked back in on this post 

very split in opinion for different reasons 

I’m going to refer to my earlier suggestion in this thread 

would everybody be ok with a drinking section in the stands or a drinking stand 

those that don’t like it can sit well away and enjoy watching the football as the currently Do 

those that want to drink in the stands can sit in this area 

obviously it would have to go through trial stages first a bit like some of the away days we went on this year where we had the option of seated or standing ( pointless I know because our lot never sit on tour )

but the point being not all areas need to be drinking so those worried about the threat of drunk misconduct or beer being thrown can safely avoid it 

I think controlled areas can be well monitored and scaled up overtime strict rules and punishment for those breaking the rules from fines bans and police action

people watch football and are driven and experience games in different ways and everyone should be able to watch football how they want as long as they do it safely and not offend anyone or cause upsetting my opinion

Personally I don’t drink at home matches but I wouldn’t begrudge those that want to and if it got to a point where it annoyed me or offended I’d like the option to sit elsewhere away from it.

20 hours ago, ruscol85 said:

I’d say no, unfortunately.

I say unfortunately, because the vast amount would behave just as well with a beer in their hand as they do already.

It would be the already unruly minority (without beer in the stands) that would just become even worse. 

Shame, because there’s nothing better than watching sport with a pint, IMO. 

“Shame, because there’s nothing better than watching sport with a pint, IMO. “

banging a reyt rude woman ? 

Football fans a a different breed and on certain levels a very thick and uneducated one. For that reason drinking will never be allowed in seats at football grounds. 

Watched rugby all my life and seen fans mixed and enjoying a beer. Never have I seen incidents in stadia like I have witnessed in football matches and that’s without beer being served in seats.

Yes the crowds can be a bit raucous in the cricket but it’s generally a slow moving game without high intensity incidents on the field which is why they stay in the stands. Fans would be on the pitch constantly in football matches If beer could be drink throughout. There’s no way someone could try and argue they wouldn’t. It might only be the odd one but it would be enough to ruin football matches.

It’s a recipe for disaster unfortunately! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beast of Boulogne said:

“Shame, because there’s nothing better than watching sport with a pint, IMO. “

banging a reyt rude woman ? 

I made my choice. She does make a lovely sandwich mind

You would need very good segregation between drinking and non drinking areas, so families could still go and enjoy the match. 

If you just had a general rule, it would be carnage . English football fans just cannot behave well enough with alcohol for that to work.

As someone has previously said,if you can't go 2 x 45 mins without a beer, or even 1 x 35 mins & 1 x 45 mins if you're a beat the HT Queue merchant, then you have a serious problem.  

A football match only lasts 90 mins, if you really need a drink in that time you should seek professional help.

******** Heads at T20 games is one of the reasons I stopped gong to them and Wednesday away games.

At Test Matches at Headingley they do have a non alcohol section and another section 'Party Zone' at the End of the Western Terrace where fancy dress is allowed and the ******** heads know to go there. Its a system that's always worked well when I have been.

11 hours ago, fpowl said:

So just checked back in on this post 

very split in opinion for different reasons 

those that don’t like it can sit well away and enjoy watching the football as the currently Do 

obviously it would have to go through trial stages first a bit like some of the away days we went on this year where we had the option of seated or standing ( pointless I know because our lot never sit on tour )

but the point being not all areas need to be drinking so those worried about the threat of drunk misconduct or beer being thrown can safely avoid it 

I think controlled areas can be well monitored and scaled up overtime strict rules and punishment for those breaking the rules from fines bans and police action

people watch football and are driven and experience games in different ways and everyone should be able to watch football how they want as long as they do it safely and not offend anyone or cause upsetting my opinion

Personally I don’t drink at home matches but I wouldn’t begrudge those that want to and if it got to a point where it annoyed me or offended I’d like the option to sit elsewhere away from it.

I think this is a good idea but it’d be a nightmare to “police”; so, it’d never happen. 

I think the best way to do this at Hillsborough would be to allow drinking in seats in all stands apart from the family section of the Grandstand. If trouble significantly increases after the implementation of this new “freedom” then revert back to no drinking on the stands 

• Like 1

A lot of the issues seem to be the challenge of mixing the drinkers with the non drinkers. I quite like the segregation idea. You could also make that a designated fighting area too. No stewards or police. Just a last man standing ‘Battle Royal’ zone.

Trouble is I think watching the drunken fighting zone might be more popular than the football! 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I think this is a good idea but it’d be a nightmare to “police”; so, it’d never happen. 

I think the best way to do this at Hillsborough would be to allow drinking in seats in all stands apart from the family section of the Grandstand. If trouble significantly increases after the implementation of this new “freedom” then revert back to no drinking on the stands 

Why would it be a nightmare to police? You just have stewards on the entrances 

in terms of monitoring behaviour a few extra cameras in the selected areas with someone monitoring them will easily and quickly identify any breaking of the rules or potential brewing and this can be communicated to the officials in the area 

it’s pretty easy to control and monitor if you have the systems in place.

a football ground is not the only place where people raise questions about drinking and controlling drinking and behaviours 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Why would it be a nightmare to police? You just have stewards on the entrances 

in terms of monitoring behaviour a few extra cameras in the selected areas with someone monitoring them will easily and quickly identify any breaking of the rules or potential brewing and this can be communicated to the officials in the area 

it’s pretty easy to control and monitor if you have the systems in place. 

Have you actually ever really been to a football match in a football stadium?

Owlstalk Shop

The point is its discrimination.  The law should either be you can either drink at sporting stadia or you can't, not picking and choosing because your incapable of policing the event.

Many race grounds report trouble due to alcohol but that's a game strongly supported by the establishment same with rugby and cricket but it tends to be called high spirits or lads letting off steam when they get a little raucous.

There is also the ridiculous law saying that fans can't drink on coaches and the coach companies have to follow a designated route to their destination.  We are being punished before any law has even been broken.   No one should be telling anyone where they can travel, what time they get there etc.  We have freedom of movement in this country and unless you break the law you should be able to go about your business unmolested.    Throw the book at people if they commit a crime but don't make a criminal out of someone who only wants to do what someone is already doing legally.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, fpowl said:

I love that idea!

21 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The point is its discrimination.  The law should either be you can either drink at sporting stadia or you can't, not picking and choosing because your incapable of policing the event.

Many race grounds report trouble due to alcohol but that's a game strongly supported by the establishment same with rugby and cricket but it tends to be called high spirits or lads letting off steam when they get a little raucous.

There is also the ridiculous law saying that fans can't drink on coaches and the coach companies have to follow a designated route to their destination.  We are being punished before any law has even been broken.   No one should be telling anyone where they can travel, what time they get there etc.  We have freedom of movement in this country and unless you break the law you should be able to go about your business unmolested.    Throw the book at people if they commit a crime but don't make a criminal out of someone who only wants to do what someone is already doing legally.

You should be taking this up with the football 'hooligans' of the 70's and 80's mate - they caused this situation. Nobody else did.

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You should be taking this up with the football 'hooligans' of the 70's and 80's mate - they caused this situation. Nobody else did.

But thousands of none hooligans are being punished as well.  You are punishing people who haven't broken the law.   

Nobody can go out after 10pm because that's when burglars operate.  

• Like 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

But we have moved on, haven't we?

People tend to behave better, if you give them some responsibility and don't treat them like idiots. 

Stop treating all football fans like hooligans!!  We are not!