Should football fans be allowed to drink in grounds like cricket?

33 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

No. Have you been to an England or Yorkshire match at Headingley . It’s carnage

Wonder what it is that differentiates the two, because in terms of how drunk people are the cricket is right up there and beyond with most at a football game! 

Is it the lack of tribalism in cricket and other sports and it’s presence in football? Is it cultural from how we all grow up to ‘hate’ certain clubs etc? Certainly more aggression in general in football, both playing and supporting. 

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

One act of notable violence at a cricket game in a decade which I don’t even recall being big enough to get media attention

Only one I can remember was Afghanistan v Pakistan in 2019 at the World Cup.

If we’re going to go down a list of football violence examples dating back across a decade, I’m going to need a few weeks to finish writing about it! 😂 

I’m not making comparisons mate I’m using  just one of many examples of violence in cricket stadiums I’ve seen over the years which contradicts your statement……….

“Problem is at the cricket you don’t find fans throwing stuff at players, storming the pitch/attacking players, fighting with each other”

The point is its discrimination when one group are allowed to do something and another group aren't.

If we said the white people could not drink (after all they cause more trouble when drunk) the place would quite rightly go nuts.  

Where else do we stop one group of people from doing something whilst letting others do something?

I can't off hand think of one, though I'm sure I will be shot down

If someone breaks the law then they should be punished for it, if that's at the cricket, rugby, or indeed football.

Mines a pint of Stones.  Cheers

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, debram said:

No, I think rugby has an open drinks policy too and they don't cause bother either, just too many hooligans in football sadly.

Mixed fans as well. I've spent many a game sat amongst the opposition fans and the worst thing that's ever happened was some off-key singing. That's after a skinfull before and during the game. 

Different mentality altogether.

• Like 1

I’ve been at cricket matches where fans have just got annoying due to being drunk; and they usually get kicked out without fuss.  In fact, the other spectators usually cheer and give them sh!t in the way out. 

But isn’t it all down to mentality and how you behave generally in society; nothing to do with drink. At cricket you can be there for 8 hours, not 2 halves of 45min

There is a big drinking culture at cricket, especially international games.

The difference is that cricket is played and supported with a different attitude.

There is no cheating, feigning injury, trying to con the umpire. It is played with respect and with great attitude from intetnational to village cricket level.

You have to be a lot braver and tougher to play cricket. Most wimpy cheating footballers would be terrified playing cricket

7 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

There is a big drinking culture at cricket, especially international games.

The difference is that cricket is played and supported with a different attitude.

There is no cheating, feigning injury, trying to con the umpire. It is played with respect and with great attitude from intetnational to village cricket level.

You have to be a lot braver and tougher to play cricket. Most wimpy cheating footballers would be terrified playing cricket

What rubbish many footballers/cricketers are pretty much all rounders and can wield both a bat and a ball with some skill.  More discrimination against the footballing fraternity, the evidence is mounting.

10 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

What rubbish many footballers/cricketers are pretty much all rounders and can wield both a bat and a ball with some skill.  More discrimination against the footballing fraternity, the evidence is mounting.

Footballers cheat and act like wimps.............no one, not even you, can argue against that.

Cricket is better than football and played with bravery and honesty. Id hate footballs cheating, acting, diving and aggressive behaviour of fans to creep into  cricket. I will happily discriminate to keep that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wakefieldowl said:

Footballers cheat and act like wimps.............no one, not even you, can argue against that.

Cricket is better than football and played with bravery and honesty. Id hate footballs cheating, acting, diving and aggressive behaviour of fans to creep into  cricket. I will happily discriminate to keep that

I give you ball tampering, claiming catches which weren't, fixing games, ... loads of examples after one minute of googling.

10 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

You sound like you hate football and football fans..why do you bother with it? Stick to cricket and rugby if you want a borin day out

1 hour ago, debram said:

No, I think rugby has an open drinks policy too and they don't cause bother either, just too many hooligans in football sadly.

Yep, definitely seen Guinness at the 6 nations. Even the fans mingle. Am

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I give you ball tampering, claiming catches which weren't, fixing games, ... loads of examples after one minute of googling.

Well done.........youve managed to find about the only examples. These were treated with utter horror and culprits banned for years.

Footballs attitude is its all part of the game. Cheating at football is off the scale and is accepted

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

Well done.........youve managed to find about the only examples. These were treated with utter horror and culprits banned for years.

Footballs attitude is its all part of the game. Cheating at football is off the scale and is accepted

I never made the claim that footballers weren't cheats, you made the claim that cricketers were honest when its demonstrable that they aren't.