Should football fans be allowed to drink in grounds like cricket?

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

No you get the authorities to do their job properly so law abided people can enjoy the freedoms and rights they already have

I do 100 % agree with you that we cannot punish all football fans for the actions of a minority, but I have to disagree that it's the job of the authorities to deal with the situation.

It's nearly impossible to control big crowds (especially the drunken and/or violent) ones. 

IMO we all have to make sure that it's not acceptable to be too drunk. People will automatically reduce their alcohol consumtion to a level, which is accepted by the society and their peer group.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Did you miss all the incidents last season?

You can't compare those incidents to the 70th and 80th, can you?

I do agree that since the pandemic the people are really acting up badly, but I hope that will calm down again. 

That's not a football problem IMO, but a general problem of the society, which even emphasizes my point.

The more you regulate people  (e.g. lockdown, drinking rules, etc), the more they will revolt.

1 minute ago, GermanBird said:

I do 100 % agree with you that we cannot punish all football fans for the actions of a minority, but I have to disagree that it's the job of the authorities to deal with the situation.

It's nearly impossible to control big crowds (especially the drunken and/or violent) ones. 

IMO we all have to make sure that it's not acceptable to be too drunk. People will automatically reduce their alcohol consumtion to a level, which is accepted by the society and their peer group.

It is acceptable to be drunk, its unacceptable to be drunk and causing trouble (how do you define drunk).   The authorities have all the laws in place to arrest an individual instead they use a blanket tactic and ban anyone from doing something which is perfectly acceptable in other areas.

19 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

It is acceptable to be drunk, its unacceptable to be drunk and causing trouble (how do you define drunk).   The authorities have all the laws in place to arrest an individual instead they use a blanket tactic and ban anyone from doing something which is perfectly acceptable in other areas.

And how do you think football would have gone if the police hadn't used blanket tactics?

You're complaining about the wrong people here

The poilce only implement these things because people can't be trusted to behave like humans

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

And how do you think football would have gone if the police hadn't used blanket tactics?

You're complaining about the wrong people here

The poilce only implement these things because people can't be trusted to behave like humans

So lets punish all black men because some cause trouble.  We don't do that we arrest the individual!  And it would be discriminatory. 

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Everyone should be free to do as they wish until they break the law then they should face the consequences of their actions. 

We tried that previously

The old school hooligans forced football/the polices hand

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I love a pint as much as the next guy. But even with the number of pitch invasions we’ve had in just had, to add booze into the equation definitely not a good idea. Can you even imagine how often people will be getting off their seats to go for a pi55 and another pint? Stands would be mayhem!

On 04/06/2022 at 11:05, marshy said:

Yep, definitely seen Guinness at the 6 nations. Even the fans mingle. Am

I regularly attend Premiership Rugby games and love the fact that you can have a beer in your seat and have home and away fans sat next to each other having banter with each other without a hint of trouble. There is zero segregation, no need for it, everyone mixed in together.  Most Rugby grounds now sell beer in 2 pint jugs so that you don't have to queue up so much.

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why didn't they last time then before the police had to introduce the current way of policing football?

I don't say that people do not cause trouble.

It's just WRONG to treat all football fans as potential criminals!!

Football is not the issue. The games are just the place, where you can identify problems you have in society.

Treat all people decently, give everybody a chance for a bright future and you won't have problems. 

Drinking before the game, during the break and after the game does not reduce the amount of alcohol and problems anyway!

If I would drink  (which I usually don't), i would love to do that DURING the game and not before or after! I can't do that because you believe that I might get drunk and cause trouble???  Or because you believe that I would waste my expensive beer and throw it around?   Don't make rules for the majority based on a issue you have with a minority!!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

can you name any laws where it's not based on issues with minorities?

Drink-driving laws - before they were put in place the majority of people did drive after drinking

Littering 

Parking, Speeding  

How can you justify that 

- drinking is allowed

- drinking at sports events is allowed

- there is even a social pressure to drink in certain situations

- but it is forbidden to drink while you are on the stand watching football (other sport on the same stand would be ok); but drinking on the concourse is allowed

This rule does not solve a problem - it creates problems!