Should football fans be allowed to drink in grounds like cricket?

12 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Exactly.  The "getting drunk" culture is totally out of hand now.  Why can't people enjoy a drink or two without  trouble. 

Add on top of that the amounts of sniffing going on recently too. 

Im sure it was never as prominent as it is now. 

Nope, unfortunately a lot of football fans are thick as pig poo, that includes ours. So when they aren't scrapping amongst themselves they'll be throwing their beer around when we score. Keep em on concourse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I was at this yesterday. He ended up getting stretched out after knocking 7 pints in, iin about 4 overs.

Loads of drunken fools there with it being a bank holiday but all in good jest.

Not a good idea at football with travelling away fans and the tribal mentality involved

• Like 1

It’s all about mentality. InGermany you’re allowed to drink in the stands. In fact, you look a bit odd if you haven’t got a beer. Plus it’s decent beer too. In Dortmund you get a plastic cup with a handle on it. 
For some reason you don’t seem to have idiots throwing it everywhere and getting hammered. I’m sure they exist, but the whole European attitude to alcohol is different to ours. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Problem is at the cricket you don’t find fans throwing stuff at players, storming the pitch/attacking players, fighting with each other, probably not as many drugs taken etc etc.. 

Imagine how many beers would be thrown. 

So it’s not going to happen is it

A lot of fans would behave perfectly fine. But compared to other sports football seems to have that percentile that never will. 

Some of the worst violence I’ve ever witnessed in a sports ground was at a Headingly ODI between England & Pakistan about 10 years ago!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

I was at this yesterday. He ended up getting stretched out after knocking 7 pints in, iin about 4 overs.

Loads of drunken fools there with it being a bank holiday but all in good jest.

Not a good idea at football with travelling away fans and the tribal mentality involved

Did he get stretchered off for landing on his head or drowning his body… tbf could be both?

It’d be great to have a drink in the stands but you just know it’d be asking for trouble especially on away days. 

5 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

Some of the worst violence I’ve ever witnessed in a sports ground was at a Headingly ODI between England & Pakistan about 10 years ago!

One act of notable violence at a cricket game in a decade which I don’t even recall being big enough to get media attention

Only one I can remember was Afghanistan v Pakistan in 2019 at the World Cup.

If we’re going to go down a list of football violence examples dating back across a decade, I’m going to need a few weeks to finish writing about it! 😂