Promotion next season

1 hour ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

Think Moore will fine tune the team, get the players in he needs and we'll absolutely boss this season. 

With Sunderland, Wigan and Rotherham out of the picture, being replaced by a struggling Derby side, a plummeting Barnsley and a yo-yo Peterborough side. You could argue that the league will be weaker this coming season, too. Not to mention MK Dons will likely lose their star man. 

Definitely weaker OT posters love the negative.  God bless ya 

16 minutes ago, TheGreatNebber said:

If you look at the teams in the division next year I think there are half the teams that will have some sort of genuine aspiration at promotion based on form towards the end of last season, recent history or 'size' of the club. Along with ourselves there will be MK Dons, Wycombe, Oxford and Plymouth who will consider themselves to have been unlucky this season; Derby, Barnsley and Peterborough looking to bounce back at the first time of asking; Ipswich, Portsmouth and Bolton who had spells of good form last season and will hope to improve; plus Charlton.

On paper I think that looks tougher than this season. 

I'm not convinced. I think MK, Wycombe, Oxford and Plymouth will struggle to do as well as last season. They all overachieved.

Of the relegated teams Barnsley only won 6 games all season and Peterborough weren't much better. I don't think either are stronger than the teams that have gone up. Derby are a wildcard but it's far from certain that their issues are behind them.

Personally I'd be most concerned about Ipswich, Portsmouth and Bolton improving. But even then I wouldn't say there's a huge amount to fear there.

Obviously 2 top will be tough, it always is. But I don't see any reason to think it will be harder than last year.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I'm not convinced. I think MK, Wycombe, Oxford and Plymouth will struggle to do as well as last season. They all overachieved.

Of the relegated teams Barnsley only won 6 games all season and Peterborough weren't much better. I don't think either are stronger than the teams that have gone up. Derby are a wildcard but it's far from certain that their issues are behind them.

Personally I'd be most concerned about Ipswich, Portsmouth and Bolton improving. But even then I wouldn't say there's a huge amount to fear there.

Obviously 2 top will be tough, it always is. But I don't see any reason to think it will be harder than last year.

Hopefully you are right and if we can get recruitment sorted I don't think there is going to be any reason to fear anyone except ourselves.  

Those first 4 teams mentioned certainly risk losing their personnel and dropping away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pulcinella said:

Clicked on The Star's clickbait of odds for promotion next season.

We're second favourite, below Ipswich! Why do Ipswich get over-inflated odds every year?

*Derby, Barnsley, Bolton, Portsmouth, MK Dons, Oxford below us in that order.

Barnsley...they are a shambles...does an extra toe give them advantage.

• Haha 4

It's all about the recruitment, get that right and go from there plus we need to have a plan a and b when things aren't going right. Learn from last season. Then hopefully it's automatic,  not the lottery of the playoffs. Uto

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

I'd turn the milk sour, I would.

I've learned supporting this club that it's best to expect the worst.

And anyway, we like a good moan on this site.

...and it's a good job when you've got the likes of me putting a dampener on things.

lol

You’d be perfect for the kids party, the little sods get on my nerves 😄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Can add Wycombe and Peterborough to that list as well. I think it’s going to be even more competitive than this season was

Maybe. But you can pretty much guarantee that some of the outside contenders in 2021 / 22 will have peaked or will lose momentum and some of the relegated teams will have problems that can't be solved overnight. Strong contenders like MK Dons may lose key players or even a manager. Not everyone is going to remain on an upward trajectory. We need to make sure that we're one of the teams that do.

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

10 points from the first 12 not good enough for you?  High standards…

Exactly. We hit the ground running but then bad team selections and tactics took over.

27 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Maybe. But you can pretty much guarantee that some of the outside contenders in 2021 / 22 will have peaked or will lose momentum and some of the relegated teams will have problems that can't be solved overnight. Strong contenders like MK Dons may lose key players or even a manager. Not everyone is going to remain on an upward trajectory. We need to make sure that we're one of the teams that do.

Obviously it’s impossible to tell at this stage but there are quite a few big clubs who you’d imagine will be aiming for promotion as well as a few smaller teams like Wycombe and Peterborough who are always tricky customers at this level.

Fingers crossed for good recruitment this summer then a strong start, middle, and end to next season!

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Teams already tried to stifle us last season, though.

It's not as if the likes of Cheltenham, Morecambe and Crewe rocked up to Hillsborough looking to play free-flowing, expansive football, is it? They all looked to keep it tight and force us into a battle.

Since we sorted our defence in the January window, not many teams were successful at it, so I'm not sure how you conclude that Moore "has proven himself incapable of finding a way through when that happens"?

697817589_Screenshot2022-05-30at14_26_48.thumb.png.c4980afe1da2084160a00a26b5bc1dab.png

Some of those teams stifled/sh*thoused, but some didn't though.

I'm not saying that any of them made it easy, but some made life more difficult for us than others.

Sunderland at Hillsborough in the semi was a bit different, to be fair, because they've a good team and a manager who's better than this level.

But what I meant was how teams at this level will approach games against us next season relative to last.

I'd expect many more to do a Lincoln, in the same way that teams changed their approach to us in Carlos' second season.

I remember Monk coming here with Leeds, choosing a big midfield like a Springbok pack to choke Baz Bannan, and doubling up down the flanks.

They triumphed 0-2.

The Pale One was the first to emply that tactic, and I remember his saying that he'd picked a team specially for us.

Although I was one of the fans who hounded him out, I concede that he was a good tactician.

Cue Neil.

lol

Who the f*** knows?

We haven't even had a transfer window yet. For all we know, we could end up spending about £5 million (which would be mental and poor decision but you never know) and end up with a team infinitely above the division level 

Alternatively, if we sold our key men and made some poor decisions transfer-wise, ala Kamberi, Sow and Brown (rather than Byers, Storey, Gregory), we would end up with a team lucky to finish top half.

And this goes for any other team that finished in the top half last year.

Let's wait and see.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, striker said:

I'm confident of promotion, based on the second half of last season, with the caveat that it's dependent on what we can do in terms of recruitment. 

BPF, Hutch, Dean, Storey, Hunt, NML, Luongo, Berahino.

basically from the team second half of the season Bannan, Byers, Johnson, Palmer, Gregory the rest are no longer here or confirmed to be staying.

fans get a week or 2 to buy season tickets, but players get 2 months to commit to contracts. 

7 hours ago, Sham67 said:

10 points from the first 12 not good enough for you?  High standards…

If we don't get this many points from first 4 games next season some people will be ruling out automatic promotion. lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, graz gp said:

It's all about the recruitment, get that right and go from there plus we need to have a plan a and b when things aren't going right. Learn from last season. Then hopefully it's automatic,  not the lottery of the playoffs. Uto

It’s not all about recruitment...it’s about having a top manager..and in my opinion we haven’t got one

• Like 3
  • Haha 1