Promotion next season

Clicked on The Star's clickbait of odds for promotion next season.

We're second favourite, below Ipswich! Why do Ipswich get over-inflated odds every year?

*Derby, Barnsley, Bolton, Portsmouth, MK Dons, Oxford below us in that order.

2 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

We're second favourite, below Ipswich! Why do Ipswich get over-inflated odds every year?

More people bet on them?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Swfcsi said:

Don't matter what the odds are if we don't start well and if we  start like last season the top two is a no no 

10 points from the first 12 not good enough for you?  High standards…

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

Can add Wycombe and Peterborough to that list as well. I think it’s going to be even more competitive than this season was

• Like 2

Think Moore will fine tune the team, get the players in he needs and we'll absolutely boss this season. 

With Sunderland, Wigan and Rotherham out of the picture, being replaced by a struggling Derby side, a plummeting Barnsley and a yo-yo Peterborough side. You could argue that the league will be weaker this coming season, too. Not to mention MK Dons will likely lose their star man. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

Think Moore will fine tune the team, get the players in he needs and we'll absolutely boss this season. 

With Sunderland, Wigan and Rotherham out of the picture, being replaced by a struggling Derby side, a plummeting Barnsley and a yo-yo Peterborough side. You could argue that the league will be weaker this coming season, too. Not to mention MK Dons will likely lose their star man. 

Derby aren’t struggling they finished 17th on 55 points if it wasn’t for the points deductions plus they’ve got new owners and will strengthen. 

Peterborough are always competitive at this level. Same for Barnsley really and they were top 6 in the championship only a year ago.

Rotherham and Wigan were very mediocre for automatically promoted teams and only finished above us and Sunderland because we had the wrong managers in (until Sunderland appointed Neil)

2 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Derby aren’t struggling they finished 17th on 55 points if it wasn’t for the points deductions plus they’ve got new owners and will strengthen. 

Peterborough are always competitive at this level. Same for Barnsley really and they were top 6 in the championship only a year ago.

Rotherham and Wigan were very mediocre for automatically promoted teams and only finished above us and Sunderland because we had the wrong managers in (until Sunderland appointed Neil)

I wouldn’t call 90 points and above, average.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sham67 said:

If a team got 90 points and above in an amateur league would that automatically make them a good team? Of course it wouldn’t.

It was a weak league with the whole of the bottom half struggling financially with the after effects of covid. That’s why the top half sides had more points than usual. 

Rotherham and Wigan were nothing special 

9 minutes ago, striker said:

I'm confident of promotion, based on the second half of last season, with the caveat that it's dependent on what we can do in terms of recruitment. 

we need 4 starters, a lot comes to the price of josh, if we can pick up 1/2 defenders, 1 cm, 1 fw we are live

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

Big club, big budget. Same reason we are fancied really. 

19 minutes ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

I hope you're right, but I doubt it.

Next season won't be like the last one. 

We've now played the vast majority of the teams in this division both home and away, and every manager will have seen the play-off semis, so they know how to play us.

It was the same in Carlos' second season, when we weren't allowed to play with the freedom we had in his first.

Barring the top teams, who'll think they can beat us playing an open game, the rest of the teams in the division will stifle us.

Moore has proven himself incapable of finding a way through when that happens, so expect a frustrating season and our still being at this level 12 months hence.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

Another annual Promotion next year thread, nothing new here😃

Let's live in hope...... Again!!! 

9 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

We've now played the vast majority of the teams in this division both home and away, and every manager will have seen the play-off semis, so they know how to play us.

It was the same in Carlos' second season, when we weren't allowed to play with the freedom we had in his first.

Barring the top teams, who'll think they can beat us playing an open game, the rest of the teams in the division will stifle us.

Moore has proven himself incapable of finding a way through when that happens, so expect a frustrating season and our still being at this level 12 months hence.

Fantastic summat to look forward too then,

by the way do you do kids party’s? You sound a reyt laugh lol 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Yes we were fantastic. To get over 90 points is a great achievement and puts us on par with the likes of Liverpool and Man City who also got over 90 points.

If you look at the teams in the division next year I think there are half the teams that will have some sort of genuine aspiration at promotion based on form towards the end of last season, recent history or 'size' of the club. Along with ourselves there will be MK Dons, Wycombe, Oxford and Plymouth who will consider themselves to have been unlucky this season; Derby, Barnsley and Peterborough looking to bounce back at the first time of asking; Ipswich, Portsmouth and Bolton who had spells of good form last season and will hope to improve; plus Charlton.

On paper I think that looks tougher than this season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Five Archers said:

Fantastic summat to look forward too then,

by the way do you do kids party’s? You sound a reyt laugh lol 

I'd turn the milk sour, I would.

I've learned supporting this club that it's best to expect the worst.

And anyway, we like a good moan on this site.

...and it's a good job when you've got the likes of me putting a dampener on things.

lol

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Teams already tried to stifle us last season, though.

It's not as if the likes of Cheltenham, Morecambe and Crewe rocked up to Hillsborough looking to play free-flowing, expansive football, is it? They all looked to keep it tight and force us into a battle.

Since we sorted our defence in the January window, not many teams were successful at it, so I'm not sure how you conclude that Moore "has proven himself incapable of finding a way through when that happens"?

697817589_Screenshot2022-05-30at14_26_48.thumb.png.c4980afe1da2084160a00a26b5bc1dab.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 hour ago, Swfcsi said:

Don't matter what the odds are if we don't start well and if we  start like last season the top two is a no no 

100% this, got to start well and continue like that. Top 2 has to be the aim this season.