He played right back when he joined us and did at other teams too, but some are suggesting he isn’t good enough on the ball to be in a back three? If anything we have put him into a central position (since monk?) he might have done so early in his career but became a full back capable of carrying the ball up the pitch. 

When we played Man City in the cup he was heading everything like Michael Hector and had a great spell from then on. But he’s had injuries under Pulis and again this season. It’s in our interests to stick with him.

He’s missed a lot of football and is as rusty as hell. No surprise there.

We won’t see the best of him this season I suspect but at his best he’s a top end championship player and could play the overlapping centre back type role that Wilder used at SUFC.

He needs a top defensive coach to develop his game though as he’s like a bull in a china shop at times and tries to win balls that aren’t there to be won - then gives away silly fouls. He needs to add more composure to his game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Iorfa is one of the most over rated players in recent times. He will struggle to make the bench when Palmer is back and even more so when Gibson is back. 

Iorfa ability on the ball is scary(bad) for a professional player. He isn’t great in the air and there is only so far raw pace can get you. 

Saturday horror show from Iorfa could be a blessing in disguise because it really highlight how much better Storey is. Least Darren knows. Also fair play to Moore with the sub there! 

Tend to agree with this - quite limited and pace has helped disguise defensive weaknesses.  For a big lad I don’t rate him in the air and personally he wouldn’t start again this season unless injuries dictate.

His game is just littered with flaws, awareness, positioning, ability both in the air and on the floor, touch of a rhino at times, and just like Borner, a ball watcher, reaction times are just way too slow, good CBs anticipate threat and react before it happens and deal with it, but Dom does it the other way around

As an opposing striker youd watch a few snips of him and youd want to play as close to him as possible, especially in the box at set pieces

14 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

I remember when people used to suggest playing him in midfield. 

He’s a solid CB but needs a run of games. 

I was one of them, but that was when our midfield was like a soggy brandy snap and we had no bite there.

I wouldn't change our current midfield.

I'd also put Storey, Gibson and possibly even Dunkley( for his aerial prowess) ahead of him at the moment.

He needs game time. It's almost like he needs a pre season he looks that rusty.

If he wasn't athletic and strong he'd not be a footballer at league 1/champ level. He's good at recovery tackles but that's because it's probably his distribution/first touch that's put him in a position to have to recover in the first place, and he is very reliant on his pace and athletic physique to get him out of a lot. His distribution is woeful, at RCB when the out ball is usually to Hunt, he doesn't trust himself to play the ball in tight areas down the line. He always has to come inside and play safe. Out of our pool of centre backs i'd say he's possibly 5th/6th choice. Wouldn't be playing if Storey and Gibson were fit, and rightly so

46 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

He might read this forum so slagging him off won't help.....he looks rusty...lacking in confidence....needs a run of games & a boost...............he was shybo on Saturday though

Lol he’s a fool if he does. 

11 hours ago, the mighty wednesday said:

As those three are all on loan and probably won't be here next season there is every chance he will be more than a squad player next season when he's fully recovered and got back to peak fitness.

If I'm honest, I'm hoping we'll get to keep a couple of them. Harley Dean is apparently out of favour at Birmingham, so unless they send him somewhere else he may still be available.

My personal opinion is, whilst playing in the championship the majority of his time was spent defending as other sides had the ball. In our current side this season it’s the opposite we are trying to break sides down and I don’t think Iorfa is that comfortable with the ball at his feet. And spent less time doing the things we used to notice. Last ditch tackles, 1 on 1s etc etc. 

• Like 1

Iorfa was poor on Saturday. His attributes are actually better than any other centre back on our books. I do think he’s a more talented player than Storey or Dean but he looks extremely nervy on the ball at the moment. Needs time not the crowd groaning at him if he makes a mistake.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be in my best 11 (at the moment)

Feel he was poor earlier in the season, even before his injury.

There's obviously a player in there because we've all seen it. Maybe just needs some confidence. 

Two things about Dom: He’s actually had a very serious injury and must be a tad protective of himself in a full blooded match situation…I think we’d all find it difficult knowing that one wrong move could end a career.

Secondly, his pace is of real value when he’s in a back four with two centre backs, ie he would be the covering player while someone like Dunkley or Dean attacks the ball. A bit like the role Des Walker used to have. I’m not sure he fits into a back three.

42 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

If I'm honest, I'm hoping we'll get to keep a couple of them. Harley Dean is apparently out of favour at Birmingham, so unless they send him somewhere else he may still be available.

I'd make signing Dean on a permanent deal a priority for the close season, regardless of what division we're in.

Birmingham don't want him, and if we could pick up such a solid, experienced centre back for a small fee, or better yet free, then I'd jump at the chance.

He's only 30 too, so he's got a few good years left in him yet.

• Like 1

He needs simplified coaching.

When he has the ball players need to come towards him for a simple pass, not back away.

Iorfa tried to make passes which were not on. So they got intercepted.

He is a player who is lacking confidence and match sharpness, he needs time and a bit of help from other players.

He's a decent CB, has pace in abundance and has saved many many goals by last ditch tackles over the years (not always caused by his bad passing or first touch).

We need to be patient and realistic, he will be fine but he needs to keep it VERY simple. If there isn't a pass on,  just smash it into the channels. 

Simple simple football Dom. 

I think it’s better to judge him once he’s had a proper run in the team.

lots of players look rusty after an injury. If he plays 20 games and looks poor, that’s one thing.

I don’t think fans should read too much into individual performances until players have been given a fair run in the team 

2 hours ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

Iorfa was poor on Saturday. His attributes are actually better than any other centre back on our books. I do think he’s a more talented player than Storey or Dean but he looks extremely nervy on the ball at the moment. Needs time not the crowd groaning at him if he makes a mistake.

Agree mostly, though on Saturday I'd say that the crowd were pretty tolerant considering how he was playing. Whether that continues is another question. 

What he really needs is a good pre season and be fully ready for next term. On current form he is a liability that we cant afford with 6 massive games remaining.