On 05/04/2022 at 00:08, hirstys_achilles said:

After the pretty serious injuries he's had its not surprising he not back to his best. 

In no way is iorfa a bad player. He is a very good quality defender. What must be on the back of his mind is getting injured again. 

If i was DM i would be tempted to say to iorfa forget about this season. He needs a month or so on strength excersizes and fitness training. He will be itching to get back by then and have much more confidence in his own body to not get injured again. 

We have a terrific player in iorfa. With some clever management we can get him back to being a good asset for the club. 

Even at the beginning of the season he was only just returning from a big achilles injury. Its easy to forget what he was like before that. 

He is a premier standard player but lacking fitness and confidence. 

I sure DM will get him back to his best and better in the near future. Injuries permitting. 

Never been a premier league standard defender nowhere near good enough on the ball

10 hours ago, Dan2209 said:

Never been a premier league standard defender nowhere near good enough on the ball

Quite a few defenders in Premier not that good on the ball. They balance the team with players around them who are better. Iorfa is not that bad anyway. He been poor since returning. But when he was playing regularly in championship he was in a poor team but wasn't noticeably worse playing out than anyone else. 

The guy has real potential and is a great asset we need to keep. The doubters will be proved wrong if he can get a decent run without injury 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Quite a few defenders in Premier not that good on the ball. They balance the team with players around them who are better. Iorfa is not that bad anyway. He been poor since returning. But when he was playing regularly in championship he was in a poor team but wasn't noticeably worse playing out than anyone else. 

The guy has real potential and is a great asset we need to keep. The doubters will be proved wrong if he can get a decent run without injury 

But we were playing a completely different game. 

All 3 defenders are expected to control, move forward and pick a pass out whilst overlapping up the pitch and be confident in possession. 

Iorfa was a typical defender in the Championship, which suited his attributes. Storey is doing everything asked of him and it works so much better. 

Watching Iorfa at the moment is like bambi on ice in possession. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

He has talent but injury has set his development back.

Just needs game time to get back on track 

It's unfortunate that he's returned at such a key time. Hopefully we'll have a couple of games where our playoff place isn't at risk and we can chuck him 90 minutes with no pressure on the team.

Wouldn't be upset to see us move him on in the summer. 

Hardly fit and when he is, it takes him a while to get up to speed. 

I was really impressed when he first arrived and was excited as it looked like we had got our hands on a real prospect. Shame it hasn't worked. 

• Like 2

He’s missed the best part of two season and looks way off the pace. He needs games, and plenty of them, to get up to speed in my opinion. I imagine u23 football isn’t great for getting match sharpness because it’s way less intense that League One football. Bring back reserves 😀!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwinowl said:

Surely not ? Playing a wing back CB instead ? 
That’s mad. 

Johnson?

No way Iorfa could have played left hand sided centre half. He gets in a tangle on his favoured side.

I think the thinking behind having Johnson there was that we were likely to see a lot of the ball and not have a load of defending to do, so he could drive forward and over lap NML to provide more attacking threat. I can definitley see the logic in picking him last night over Iorfa. Even if we had picked a 'proper' centre half there, then I think Dunkley would have been the better option with Storey right CB and palmer left CB

He’s the one player the media forgot to specifically ask for an update on. Presume he’d have been on the bench if fit so I guess he’s not recovered from the ‘knock’ he sustained in training last week.

Even if he gets fit in the next week or so though, his lack of minutes and form might put him behind Storey, Dean, Hutchinson, Palmer, Dunkley and Gibson in the pecking order 

Edited by paulrs

8 hours ago, paulrs said:

He’s the one player the media forgot to specifically ask for an update on. Presume he’d have been on the bench if fit so I guess he’s not recovered from the ‘knock’ he sustained in training last week.

Even if he gets fit in the next week or so though, his lack of minutes and form might put him behind Storey, Dean, Hutchinson, Palmer, Dunkley and Gibson in the pecking order 

thats because nobody is bothered regards him now. he is shot as a player massively injury prone and aint been good at all this season when he has played , hope we dont have yet another season next season paying him for doing nothing.  i expect he will leave ,there are always clubs prepared to gamble. i mean hudds gave rhodes a 3 year deal after doing nothing for 6 years ,

1 hour ago, morganowl said:

thats because nobody is bothered regards him now. he is shot as a player massively injury prone and aint been good at all this season when he has played , hope we dont have yet another season next season paying him for doing nothing.  i expect he will leave ,there are always clubs prepared to gamble. i mean hudds gave rhodes a 3 year deal after doing nothing for 6 years ,

Not a fan then?

He is well behind in the pecking order now and I suspect the feeling is that he needs more match time to get back into contention. He is not going to get that time this season unless we have several injuries. Everyone else is playing more than up to the required standard so there is no need to risk it with him.

He didn't look great before his injury but nobody looked great at the start of the season. He has been more than unlucky and he can't be written off until he has had a proper crack at getting match fit. It would also be foolhardy to say transfer list him as we already need to replace or sign Dean and Storey permanently for next season before we start to view players of Iorfa's ability as anywhere near dispensable.