The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

7 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Its only tainted in some of our own fans heads I'm afraid

I'm almost certain the disaster has led to us having a much heavier scrutinised health and safety policy from SAG. We certainly haven't even been considered to install safe standing seats like so many clubs have. These issues do hang onto us as a club. With so little improvements to the stands over the decades it still has an association

1 hour ago, FoxOwl12 said:

Just pointing out what could be done. I agree, different , better plans could be drawn up now.

Wouldn’t be enough 

still prone to flooding which gets more do everyyear

energy efficiency will be shocking 

still residential s struggle to do concerts 

events facilities still poor 

transport links still poor 

needs to be able to bid for business that Sheffield can’t offer or host like 

Manchester central 

Excel centre 

NEC

Sheffield as one of the so called 5 largest cities in the UK is so far behind in terms of facilities and a stadium can and should be able to offer that. I’d go as far as to say they would probably get sone sort of funding to support it 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

I'm almost certain the disaster has led to us having a much heavier scrutinised health and safety policy from SAG. We certainly haven't even been considered to install safe standing seats like so many clubs have. These issues do hang onto us as a club. With so little improvements to the stands over the decades it still has an association

You're probably right with increased H&S scrutiny but you have also given a solution - invest in the stadium and modernise

2 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Wouldn’t be enough 

still prone to flooding which gets more do everyyear

energy efficiency will be shocking 

still residential s struggle to do concerts 

events facilities still poor 

transport links still poor 

needs to be able to bid for business that Sheffield can’t offer or host like 

Manchester central 

Excel centre 

NEC

Sheffield as one of the so called 5 largest cities in the UK is so far behind in terms of facilities and a stadium can and should be able to offer that. I’d go as far as to say they would probably get sone sort of funding to support it 

Exactly this.

Just now, Ray Von shabba said:

Again, where would you put them.

Bordered by main roads, houses and water.

The land that would have been identified has now been bought (across on Penistone Road) but you can build conferencing facilities into new structures it's easily achievable. I'm not an architect but lets face it the WC 2018 plans had community hubs and the like built in and now we are 20 years down the line with design principles so I would think it's more than achievable.

• Like 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
5 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

https://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/forums/topic/109793-do-we-have-a-problem-with-sheffield-wednesday-fans-and-their-club/

An old thread but the ire of the scousers is directed at the club hierarchy at the time. 

I'm not going into the disaster as it will get pulled but those who lived near the ground and used to drink in the pubs near the grounds know that only half a story got told in the subsequent 'new evidence'. 

The general stigma of playing at a ground where a massive disaster happened though, I'm not talking about what the Liverpool fans think about us, I've never thought or heard that there was an issue in that regard. 

8 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Its s brand new structure and nothing remotely like the current eye sore

image.png.d1ec0037de365a3c5810d217ca7b0dc2.png

I am neigh on certain ,that central deck is the existing west stand.

In fact as you look at the rendering it makes no sense the rake of the new infill on the left does not match the existing  seating.

I remember at the time we were so thankful anything was going to be done since the ground has been in standstill ( decline) since the grandstand was added for euro 96

Just now, DoesJackHunt said:

The general stigma of playing at a ground where a massive disaster happened though, I'm not talking about what the Liverpool fans think about us, I've never thought or heard that there was an issue in that regard. 

The stigma - give over there is none. Ibrox doesn't have a stigma does it? It's linked to the whole murky SYP, FA and other shenanigans I'm afraid not the ground itself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first question to be answered were we to move to a purpose -built stadium would be WHERE?

It would be impossible to build it anywhere within the Sheffield boundaries, since the first reason for rebuilding would be flooding! 

The areas around central Sheffield, certainly in the nearby areas are all within the flood-plain. Sheffield station is frequently flooded, even more so than Hillsborough, and the land most likely , around Meadowhall was flooded yesterday. Incidentally, Hillsborough was NOT, though nearly so. It would need to be within easy transport links, and Commercial links, and away from propety and Business links.

Most of the credible locations are now Business or retail parks 

The logistical problem would need to be solved first and foremost. The next most important aspect would be the location of the potential support .Many clubs rely on a local fan base .Wednesday's fan base is spread far and wide with supporters regularly travelling from poits as far afield as such diverse places as Hoyland, Mexborough, Rotherham, Creswell, and Buxton , to name only the places I have lived in or know of. It would be interesting  for the club to publish the locations of supporters to any given home match.I think people would be surprised at the percentages of Sheffield people to non-Sheffielders aamongst the home fans.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mildatheart67 said:

I am neigh on certain ,that central deck is the existing west stand.

In fact as you look at the rendering it makes no sense the rake of the new infill on the left does not match the existing  seating.

I remember at the time we were so thankful anything was going to be done since the ground has been in standstill ( decline) since the grandstand was added for euro 96

So now we are splitting hairs! It's a fit for purpose football stand with a 2020s update would be ideal and fit in the current footprint of the ground

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DoesJackHunt said:

To be fair the reason the disaster remained in the news for so long is the cover up by South Yorkshire Police and the lengthy fight for justice. The stigma attached to the actual stadium is very small IMO. The stigma sits with the mismanagement and terrible decision making that lead to it and the endless court battles after it.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, FoxOwl12 said:

Think this was for the world cup if we got it. Planning permission approved. 

This would be the way to go !

Redevelop NOT Relocate.

For now, where we currently are i do think demolishing the west stand and the corner and police box should be done asap then build a new purpose built stand across there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

The land that would have been identified has now been bought (across on Penistone Road) but you can build conferencing facilities into new structures it's easily achievable. I'm not an architect but lets face it the WC 2018 plans had community hubs and the like built in and now we are 20 years down the line with design principles so I would think it's more than achievable.

So my point was how do you incorporate Cinemas, Shopping malls etc. that people are talking about, within the current foot print that can't change. You need access, car parking etc. to facilitate this.

It’s 2022

Engineers can do amazing things with buildings ( planning permission accepted)

It needs some forward thinking/ thinking out of the box so to speak and the will to do it

For me Hillsborough is quite simply home and with investment it could be a jewel again

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Siggi's Jonnson said:

If you look at Fulham's new stand, the footprint of it is very tight and they have managed to expand out towards the river behind the stand. Something like that could be done at Hillsborough. 

Very similar to how Anfield has expanded to by going up and out 

Its very similar to hillsborough as in housing down 2 sides a park down the other and one main road out, yet im sure there are very few scousers asking to move from there 

image.png.390fb68280e6529269da9662f921229b.png

2 hours ago, TheCityIsOurs said:

People acting like it’s flood every other week, it’s flood twice in the last 15 years or whatever it is, to move away from such a historic ground because of that is ridiculous yes.

Genuine question : I know the ground has flooded twice in the last 15 years but how many times has it flooded before 2007?

If there was no history of flooding before then it would lead me to think that it is highly likely to do so in future. Water levels are rising and flood defences are super expensive. They also just lead to problems further downstream.

Getting insurance must also be getting more expensive and harder to come by.

I love Hillsborough but the issues are stacking up against it. Sentiment never paid a bill.