The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

3 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

I suppose it depends on whether it’s cheaper to expand the footprint and develop the current site or purchase a new site and construct a new stadium.

How do you expand the footprint ?

There's literally no land around the stadium, bordered by water and roads etc.

Edited by Ray Von shabba

1 minute ago, Ray Von shabba said:

How do you expand the footprint ?

There's literally no land around the stadium, bordered by water and roads etc.

I’m pretty sure there’s lots of land around the stadium.  How do you think Liverpool expanded?

Just now, Sham67 said:

There really is.

The 2018 world cup plans expanded the capacity (they are out of date as has already been pointed out). These also had the provision built in for capacity expansion to 50k.

So in short you are totally spot on and this constant s h i t e that keeps getting spouted about tainting etc especially from our own fans just needs to stop.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

I’m pretty sure there’s lots of land around the stadium.  How do you think Liverpool expanded?

Difference between Hillsborough (the area) and Anfield (the area) is that Anfield had literally hundreds of empty houses that LFC bought and then knocked down to expand the current ground.

I believe that the Anfield Road end (away end) is next and that there are a few houses that wouldn't sell to allow for this expansion and renovation

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just start calling the stadium Owlerton then?

Another alternative would be to sell naming rights to some commercial concern. We get money and lose the Hillsborough disaster connection all in one move.

The Tesla Stadium might bring in a few bob or the Amazon Stadium maybe. Knowing our commercial abilities it might end up as the Sausage Cottage Stadium. We'd never live it down.lol

• Like 1

No reason to destroy a historic place just for the sake of it.

- Re-name the stadium, if you struggle with the name  (I don't)

- Built flood barriers - we surely will need them with the climate crisis

- Upgrade whatever necessary, but leave some historical bits and some character

• Like 2

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

The 2018 world cup plans expanded the capacity (they are out of date as has already been pointed out). These also had the provision built in for capacity expansion to 50k.

So in short you are totally spot on and this constant s h i t e that keeps getting spouted about tainting etc especially from our own fans just needs to stop.

I’ve never understood the self flagellation.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

Difference between Hillsborough (the area) and Anfield (the area) is that Anfield had literally hundreds of empty houses that LFC bought and then knocked down to expand the current ground.

I believe that the Anfield Road end (away end) is next and that there are a few houses that wouldn't sell to allow for this expansion and renovation

It's already underway,they are putting up the steel and lift towers now

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

Where they empty before Liverpool bought them?

1 minute ago, adelphi1867 said:

IF we were to build a new stadium, it would lead to new Income streams from shopping outlets, cineplex, etc.

Just a thought.

You can built shopping outlets, etc. whereever you want. No need to destroy a wonderful stadium for that purpose!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1