The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

If I was rich enough (and foolish enough) to buy Wednesday, moving stadiums would be way down the list. I’d like to think I’d spend some money on the concourses and on the pitch. A stadium move would be something I’d be planning once we’d been in the Prem for two or three years and looked like we could as a minimum at least yo-yo up and down so could guarantee a good revenue stream for the foreseeable. 

The stadium has problems but it doesn’t IMO hold us back from being a lower end Prem club. It’s plenty big enough which is the main thing you need a stadium to be. As terrible as the Hillsborough Disaster was it was 33 years ago. And the stand that it happened in has been stood there all that time and we have even hosted Liverpool multiple times since then. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

Liverpool had bought a lot of houses and left them empty near 10 years blighting the area.

On the road where the main stand was they owned every house bar  2 ,which were then comp purchased I believe

Exactly this - Anfield was a dump and the club have revitalised the area totally with redevelopment and revitalisation with green spaces and all the other stuff that accompanies uplift

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, prowl said:

Another alternative would be to sell naming rights to some commercial concern. We get money and lose the Hillsborough disaster connection all in one move.

The Tesla Stadium might bring in a few bob or the Amazon Stadium maybe. 

Best option  (if we feel the need to re-name the stadium)

11 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

I’m pretty sure there’s lots of land around the stadium.  How do you think Liverpool expanded?

Just look up Hilsborough Stadium on Google Maps and then look on the satellite view. You can see exactly how much land there is (or isn’t) around the stadium. 

Just now, CircleSeven said:

Just look up Hilsborough Stadium on Google Maps and then look on the satellite view. You can see exactly how much land there is (or isn’t) around the stadium. 

The WC plans built a brand new increased capacity Lep Lane end and then better utilised the current space we have. I totally agree that the Kop needs totally re-doing to give the home fans the facilities they deserve

1 hour ago, TheCityIsOurs said:

Seen a discussion on Twitter about wether Hillsborough will be our home in the future and if people would be happy to relocate or not. A lot of people saying we should move because we’re too prone to flooding next to the don, which is just ridiculous imo, another point is obviously the history that has been over our heads for the last 30+ Years that still haunts us. Personally I think that the west stand should’ve been knocked down years ago aswell with that corner that is a wasteland now and we should’ve rebuilt a new stand connecting up to the north. That current west stand is the only thing that’s wrong with Hillsborough, it’s a mess and it’s unsafe for the most part, for the rest of the ground there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it and it’s one of the best grounds in the country, just needs a small touch up.

opinions?

You think it’s ridiculous to move beside it’s prone to flooding?

the cost of. When it floods will be ridiculous not to mention all the disruption plus you mention it’s only flooded twice in the last 15 years with diminishing flood plains and greater rainfall increasing every year  this will only get worse and is more likely to over double in the next 15 years 

On the west stand it clearly is safe otherwise it would be condemned, closed or be forced to make the improvements before letting fans in or around it 

I completely get your part about it being part of our heritage but like many old stadiums which have outgrown it’s time it’s old, Costa a fortune to run, and doesn’t deliver anywhere near enough revenue as it should to assist the football club 

look at all the other large iconic stadiums and teams at the highest level that made the change recently 

arsenal

Spurs 

Wembley

Everton moving 

a stadium is now part of driving revenue for clubs it needs to be busy 6/ 7 days a week and hillsborough isn’t it has relatively poor facilities in terms of its conference and banquet facilities the rooms are dated and theirs hotels in Sheffield that can hold larger events 

there’s poor accommodation around it and poor transport links also it’s heavily residential 

Look at Sheffield. As a city one of the leading city’s in sport it also in central to the country and as a city doesn’t have great large conference and banquet facilities and not too many places that can hold exhibitions 

what Sheffield needs is a large purpose built state of the art conference, banquet, events and exhibition  facility every city has them Sheffield doesn’t with don valley closing we lost a great community sporting facility too and I think if we could tap into those as complex to host our home days Sheffield Wednesday would not only secure a large financial revenue for the future but bring huge amounts of business into the Sheffield area and the city of sport can grow in more building Sheffield wednesdays reputation with it 

our club nearly went extinct before mandaric bailed us out and as much as I like our stadium for all that it’s our home and history it now holds the club back and costs it’s money instead of making us money and taking us forward 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest DoesJackHunt
26 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

We were in the top division for 11 years after the disaster. Played Liverpool at home every season with none of thisbollox.

When did you last hear something on the T.V. about Wednesday being in the Premiership?

When did you last hear something on the T.V. about the Hillsborough disaster? (literally another programme about it 3 weeks ago)

The Premiership badge left us a long time ago, the disaster badge is ours for eternity while we stay at Hillsborough.

The stadium's crap anyway by today's standards and we don't even own it anymore. Time to go!

2 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

The WC plans built a brand new increased capacity Lep Lane end and then better utilised the current space we have. I totally agree that the Kop needs totally re-doing to give the home fans the facilities they deserve

The world cup plans were a lash up, the west stand remained in place 

Guest DoesJackHunt
5 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

Really don't think our stadium is massively 'tainted' by that one tragic event. The powers that be were happy enough for us to host Euro 96 matches. 

Only with a significant upgrade to the west stand 

1 minute ago, DoesJackHunt said:

When did you last hear something on the T.V. about Wednesday being in the Premiership?

When did you last hear something on the T.V. about the Hillsborough disaster? (literally another programme about it 3 weeks ago)

The Premiership badge left us a long time ago, the disaster badge is ours for eternity while we stay at Hillsborough.

The stadium's crap anyway by today's standards and we don't even own it anymore. Time to go!

can we stop calling it the premiership. It’s the premier league. 

premiership is rugby union 

• Like 3

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 minute ago, ANDY said:

can we stop calling it the premiership. It’s the premier league. 

premiership is rugby union 

Sorry Andy, The Premier league 

I think there are two options 

1.  Develop the stadium so it has a ' wrap around ' look, no open corners.  To be honest it wouldn't be an issue if we lost some our capacity if the stadium became more functional and modernised.

2.  Build a new stadium in a more accessible area with better commercial opportunities. It's the modern way.  If Arsenal and Spurs can give up Highbury and White Hart Lane, and West Ham can give up Upton Park,  then we can give up Hillsborough. Even Everton are going to move from Goodison. Let's not think we are too special to do this. 

1 minute ago, DoesJackHunt said:

I don't think that's correct 

https://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/forums/topic/109793-do-we-have-a-problem-with-sheffield-wednesday-fans-and-their-club/

An old thread but the ire of the scousers is directed at the club hierarchy at the time. 

I'm not going into the disaster as it will get pulled but those who lived near the ground and used to drink in the pubs near the grounds know that only half a story got told in the subsequent 'new evidence'. 

• Like 3