The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

54 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer said:

if our stadium was as good as theirs then yes I’d be up for staying but it isn’t and even if you bring it up to scratch it’s still got access issues, is a flood risk and still will be talked about for the wrong reasons.

just my opinion is all

Exactly. I much as I love Hillsborough and always will, barring the South stand, let's face it the rest of the ground is poor.

This would be a great opportunity to build a multi purpose stadium. State of the art pitch, which restricts injuries and stands with coverings that allow light in to aid the grass.

Put a roof on it and this allows you to host concerts and other events all year round. Also this would ensure game's aren't called off.

Incorporate solar panels or solar glass to reduce the running costs and a better heating system.

Build a multi storey car park nextdoor and charge a fair price for parking. More income for the club.

Perhaps I've watched to many episodes of Grand Designs, but this is what I would do if I had the money to do so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

So my point was how do you incorporate Cinemas, Shopping malls etc. that people are talking about, within the current foot print that can't change. You need access, car parking etc. to facilitate this.

Shopping malls? You simply aren't going to get planning permission for shopping malls and who is going to want a shopping mall in a football ground.

Conferencing and the like is the way forward use for weddings and other such like events.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

I'm really not sure. 

The South Stand is fine. Probably needs modernising a bit but is fine. The North is my favourite stand in football but would need a total rethink and extension of the concourse areas.

If people are serious about renovation then you'd have to pull the Leppings Lane and Kop down. The kop is literally built on a mound of mud. It would need a completely new structure. As would the Lepp, which of course should arguably have happened decades ago. And at the end of it, you've still got a stadium that's a flood risk, that the police seem to struggle to police properly, that isn't particularly great for parking etc and with little room for any additional facilities or development around it. 

I love Hillsborough and would be devastated if the decision is ever made to leave, but if you take emotion out of it, I think it becomes quite easy to justify a move. Ultimately some of the biggest clubs in the country have left stadiums as historic and traditional, and as loved by their fans, as Hillsborough is to us. And if you're DC with no prior connection to the club, with access to numbers and consultations that moving would be cheaper and more commercially viable.. 

Fully agree. I see the arguments for both. But for me, if we are to move forward we certainly need to be looking at a new stadium.

6 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

Very similar to how Anfield has expanded to by going up and out 

Its very similar to hillsborough as in housing down 2 sides a park down the other and one main road out, yet im sure there are very few scousers asking to move from there 

image.png.390fb68280e6529269da9662f921229b.png

Agree however the difference was that nearly all of the houses around Anfield were empty and the area was a s h i t e hole. But I fully agree that we don't need to move

I know the upper Derwent reservoirs have been full to the brim before the heavy rain on Friday when 3inch more fell

I guess the ones in the Sheff catchment might have been the same,I wonder if the reservoirs should be ulitised more in flood prevention by keeping say 10% empty as a buffer,maybe this is being done.

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

Perhaps we need a ground that’s used 5 days a week by one of the local universities?

That would mean a 4G pitch and those aren't allowed in the FL.

The whole redevelopment piece with the training ground have to be intrinsically linked to take account of potential expanded usage cases.

I agree that we need to maximise commercial revenue and need to be forward thinking in how we do it

1 minute ago, mildatheart67 said:

I know the upper Derwent reservoirs have been full to the brim before the heavy rain on Friday when 3inch more fell

I guess the ones in the Sheff catchment might have been the same,I wonder if the reservoirs should be ulitised more in flood prevention by keeping say 10% empty as a buffer,maybe this is being done.

I don't think they are designed in that way - they hold x amount and then overflow when that is exceeded. I don't think they have the 'smart' technology to ensure a level before x is maintained. I know from my trips to Canada that they have sluice gates on reservoirs in the rockies to allow for this

Guest DoesJackHunt
24 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

The stigma - give over there is none. Ibrox doesn't have a stigma does it? It's linked to the whole murky SYP, FA and other shenanigans I'm afraid not the ground itself

ok - but the stadiums rubbish anyway, stigma or no stigma. 

3 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

That would mean a 4G pitch and those aren't allowed in the FL.

The whole redevelopment piece with the training ground have to be intrinsically linked to take account of potential expanded usage cases.

I agree that we need to maximise commercial revenue and need to be forward thinking in how we do it

I mean the stadium facilities not the pitch.  I was also being sarcastic, because Hillsborough has been used for to host students 5 days a week for years.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I don't think they are designed in that way - they hold x amount and then overflow when that is exceeded. I don't think they have the 'smart' technology to ensure a level before x is maintained. I know from my trips to Canada that they have sluice gates on reservoirs in the rockies to allow for this

I think the can regulate the outflow  but the slipways operate at capacity.

As winters are getting better maybe the existing storage regime has/needs altering

• Like 1

Just now, Burnsie said:

How would they use it?! The 2 unis are massive and if they needed something, they would have built it already

See above.  I know I live local to the stadium, but I’m amazed how little people know what happens there day to day.

• Like 1