The Future of Hillsborough Stadium

3 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

I'm guessing renovation will work out cheaper

I'm really not sure. 

The South Stand is fine. Probably needs modernising a bit but is fine. The North is my favourite stand in football but would need a total rethink and extension of the concourse areas.

If people are serious about renovation then you'd have to pull the Leppings Lane and Kop down. The kop is literally built on a mound of mud. It would need a completely new structure. As would the Lepp, which of course should arguably have happened decades ago. And at the end of it, you've still got a stadium that's a flood risk, that the police seem to struggle to police properly, that isn't particularly great for parking etc and with little room for any additional facilities or development around it. 

I love Hillsborough and would be devastated if the decision is ever made to leave, but if you take emotion out of it, I think it becomes quite easy to justify a move. Ultimately some of the biggest clubs in the country have left stadiums as historic and traditional, and as loved by their fans, as Hillsborough is to us. And if you're DC with no prior connection to the club, with access to numbers and consultations that moving would be cheaper and more commercially viable.. 

• Like 6

I’d rather we did the same as Liverpool and renovate the existing ground. Replicating their on-pitch exploits would be cool too 😎

Their stadium is similar to ours in that it’s in the middle of housing estates, a main road runs behind the Kop and there’s a reyt big park nearby. Parking is equally as difficult. They don’t have a river though and it’s about all we’ve got that they haven’t. 

Well, much better accents obvs. 

1 hour ago, TheCityIsOurs said:

Seen a discussion on Twitter about wether Hillsborough will be our home in the future and if people would be happy to relocate or not. A lot of people saying we should move because we’re too prone to flooding next to the don, which is just ridiculous imo, another point is obviously the history that has been over our heads for the last 30+ Years that still haunts us. Personally I think that the west stand should’ve been knocked down years ago aswell with that corner that is a wasteland now and we should’ve rebuilt a new stand connecting up to the north. That current west stand is the only thing that’s wrong with Hillsborough, it’s a mess and it’s unsafe for the most part, for the rest of the ground there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it and it’s one of the best grounds in the country, just needs a small touch up.

opinions?

West needs knocking down, needs fully developing with proper concourses and posts taking out. North needs properly enclosed concourses. Food vendors need a poo load of improvement. 

1 minute ago, Sensible Soccer said:

Not entirely sure that is right personally. It’s front and centre on the news most months and will continue to be so. Not the best commercial engine for us

Rangers seem to have got over the Ibrox disaster.

I don’t agree it’s ‘front and centre’ on the news most months. I’ve told you ten million times to stop exaggerating 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Probably because most people don’t spend their time stressing over a 33 year old tragedy.

It's not about "stressing" over it.

I've just typed "Hillsborough" into both Google and Microsoft Bing. First results, Hillsborough Disaster on both. Go to Images, and it's nearly a full page of wreathes, memorials and images of people being pulled over walls and fencing at our ground. 

You can have your opinion about how "fair" the coverage of that disaster is compared to others and some of the current narrative about the disaster itself (I can tell you now I have my opinions about that too, which I'll keep private on here) - but you can't avoid how our stadium is perceived in the wider world. Whilever we play at Hillsborough, our club is linked and tainted by the disaster as far as the public is concerned. Can you imagine how much some of this stuff would be magnified should we ever make it back to PL and re-enter the spotlight? The first time we play Liverpool again in the league or a cup after the change of narrative over the last few years? 

Plus, this is just one reason why we should be contemplating a move. There's a list of reasons why moving from Hillsborough should be considered and the disaster is only one of them. It might even be quite far down. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, sheffield_dave said:

It's not about "stressing" over it.

I've just typed "Hillsborough" into both Google and Microsoft Bing. First results, Hillsborough Disaster on both. Go to Images, and it's nearly a full page of wreathes, memorials and images of people being pulled over walls and fencing at our ground. 

You can have your opinion about how "fair" the coverage of that disaster is compared to others and some of the current narrative about the disaster itself (I can tell you now I have my opinions about that too, which I'll keep private on here) - but you can't avoid how our stadium is perceived in the wider world. Whilever we play at Hillsborough, our club is linked and tainted by the disaster as far as the public is concerned. Can you imagine how much some of this stuff would be magnified should we ever make it back to PL and re-enter the spotlight? The first time we play Liverpool again in the league or a cup after the change of narrative over the last few years? 

Plus, this is just one reason why we should be contemplating a move. There's a list of reasons why moving from Hillsborough should be considered and the disaster is only one of them. It might even be quite far down. 

We were in the top division for 11 years after the disaster. Played Liverpool at home every season with none of thisbollox.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

Rangers seem to have got over the Ibrox disaster.

I don’t agree it’s ‘front and centre’ on the news most months. I’ve told you ten million times to stop exaggerating

if our stadium was as good as theirs then yes I’d be up for staying but it isn’t and even if you bring it up to scratch it’s still got access issues, is a flood risk and still will be talked about for the wrong reasons.

just my opinion is all

1 minute ago, Sensible Soccer said:

if our stadium was as good as theirs then yes I’d be up for staying but it isn’t and even if you bring it up to scratch it’s still got access issues, is a flood risk and still will be talked about for the wrong reasons.

just my opinion is all

I’d love someone to tell where this mythical stadium that doesn’t have ‘access issues’ is.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Devonstrix said:

I’d rather we did the same as Liverpool and renovate the existing ground. Replicating their on-pitch exploits would be cool too 😎

Their stadium is similar to ours in that it’s in the middle of housing estates, a main road runs behind the Kop and there’s a reyt big park nearby. Parking is equally as difficult. They don’t have a river though and it’s about all we’ve got that they haven’t. 

Well, much better accents obvs. 

I think the issue is, to have a modern day type stadium with concourses, facilities, accessiblilty,  parking etc. the current footprint is not large enough.

• Like 1

Guest mrbluesky
45 minutes ago, mogbad said:

DC said he'd seen the plans and didn't like them. We're still waiting for his better alternative.

DC said he dislikes a lot about the ground, also where it's situated, think it was in the last meeting with fans, could point to why there is a lack of investment? 

1 minute ago, Ray Von shabba said:

I think the issue is, to have a modern day type stadium with concourses, facilities, accessiblilty,  parking etc. the current footprint is not large enough.

I suppose it depends on whether it’s cheaper to expand the footprint and develop the current site or purchase a new site and construct a new stadium.

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

I suppose it depends on whether it’s cheaper to expand the footprint and develop the current site or purchase a new site and construct a new stadium.

There's not really much room to expand the footprint though.