Who feels like me ??

48 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The atmosphere this season has been horrific. First time I’d say the fans aren’t helping the club at all.

The first sign of trouble everyone jumped on Moore and the team. 

Very strange reaction in my opinion. Yes we are poo , but did people not see the train wreck of last season? Bit more patience and realism required.

Like after that Plymouth game? 

The problem I have more than anything is we are horrible to watch. I dread matches now and am watching out of duty laced with hope. I’m sure I’m part of the problem when I’m games as I’m so nervous and expect things to go wrong same as more than half the crowd. I celebrate goals half heartedly because I know we will probably throw a lead away. 

I could actually hear myself groaning for the whole first half on Saturday!

But should we change the manager? I’m not certain. I think Moore has it in him to make the positive changes and to get us playing a more conventional style of football. But I honestly don’t have any clue if he will. The good news is small changes could make a big difference and we are still in the mix. A couple of good results would make a big difference. 

I have the offer from a friend to go and watch Cheltenham in the home end this weekend. Normally I’d jump at it. I’m 50:50 right now. Same as I am about Moore…

Here we go AGAIN..... don't change things keep the same crap!

If we had got rid of monk when covid hit we wouldn't be in this mess... 

It's not changing that is wrongits who picks the manager and picking the wrong one again and again!!!!

Ask yourself this question....

Of ALL OUR MANAGERS EXEPT BRUCE..... WHO ELSE WOULD QANT THEM AS THEIR MANAGER.... NOBODY!!!! (Except Doncaster supporters who would be now turning on Moore if he was still there)

46 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Yep, the same Charlton that are 3rd bottom out of four positions. They did well to get a win against Sunderland, but so did we against Bolton.

Thompson and Bullen have proven that they can step in for a game or two but then performances become very average very quickly. If we pay off another manager to just coast for a couple of months again my head will explode.

But at least Charlton have decided to act when it's obvious it's not working.

I know a caretaker such as Thompson is not for the long term but I think it would get us going in the right direction again for now. 

They would start by playing players in their best positions and not coming up with bizarre formations.

Last season under Monk/Pulis we won 3 of the first 19 games.

Thompson steadied the ship with 6 wins in 13.

Then we faltered again under Moore with 3 wins in 14.

7 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

If Moore fails, it means SWFC has failed (again). 

Saying another manager should go if he doesn’t sort himself out is another difficult situation to be in. 

All the Jos bashing, the Monk bashing and now the Moore bashing feels like a vicious circle I don’t want to be part of…. yet at the same time it’s not good enough. 

We’re stuck in a rut of getting rid of managers that aren’t good enough, who can’t live up to expectations and then we go round again. 

We need to get someone to help the manager if we aren't going to sack him.

This team should be getting better results but we look clueless unlike the first few games.

5 hours ago, 0114 said:

I  think we need to hire someone who has been there, done it & got the T shirt. Someone with L1 experience and most importantly promotion on the CV. 

Any suggestions? Does such a person exist. If he's already done it then he will be in a better place than Sheffield Wednesday. 

Somebody needs to unearth an unknown gem that hits the floor running and gets us promoted. 

Fantasy land I'm afraid. 

5 hours ago, BIG D said:

Last year we had a poor bunch of players with no will to win.

This lot are different, I feel we have a decent squad but by God they need some proper tactical coaching. A proper manager would have us flying.

Exactly.  We play well for 15 minutes every game, trouble is the game lasts 90 !  I don't know what they do in training because every game follows the same pattern.

Give Dele, Dennis and Corbeanu freedom to drive forward, stop saying Wimbledon etc are wonderful teams, and stop letting BB take every thing!  Just those 3 things would transform fans view of the team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How would you have us set up, our best team?  What tactics would you use? 

Not that old chestnut? am i the manager of SWFC?......but to humour you,i wouldnt play it out from the back,i wouldnt play people out of position,i would mix things up & look to others to vary set pieces,wouldnt play a winger as CB or RB when i have players on the bench more suited to that position,& would play 2 up front.....and look to get quick balls down the channels and crosses into the box at every opportunity.

Get 2,or 3 goals up the front end? allows you to soak up the odd GK or defensive error  so even if we still leak at the back,we can still win games rather than try to see out a game with a 1-0 lead..

Do i advocate 442? maybe,personally I would like Gregory & Windass up front,with Patterson playing behind them...

BB a good player would i pick him? depends because ultimately they have invested massively in him & are going to want to use a systym that suits him,but does it suit the team of players who we have?

You tell me?

Thats what i would do,now what would you advocate?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, parajack said:

Not that old chestnut? am i the manager of SWFC?......but to humour you,i wouldnt play it out from the back,i wouldnt play people out of position,i would mix things up & look to others to vary set pieces,wouldnt play a winger as CB or RB when i have players on the bench more suited to that position,& would play 2 up front.....and look to get quick balls down the channels and crosses into the box at every opportunity.

Get 2,or 3 goals up the front end? allows you to soak up the odd GK or defensive error  so even if we still leak at the back,we can still win games rather than try to see out a game with a 1-0 lead..

Do i advocate 442? maybe,personally I would like Gregory & Windass up front,with Patterson playing behind them...

BB a good player would i pick him? depends because ultimately they have invested massively in him & are going to want to use a systym that suits him,but does it suit the team of players who we have?

You tell me?

Thats what i would do,now what would you advocate?

No idea just like everyone else, we all make it up, just say the opposite of what the present incumbent says then say the exact opposite when a new manager arrives.  I just go for the beer. 🍺 Hic

Having said that ... 🙂

I wouldn't drop Bannan but we need to find a replacement for Gregory it all falls down around him.   We need Windass back and another forward with pace.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

But at least Charlton have decided to act when it's obvious it's not working.

I know a caretaker such as Thompson is not for the long term but I think it would get us going in the right direction again for now. 

They would start by playing players in their best positions and not coming up with bizarre formations.

Last season under Monk/Pulis we won 3 of the first 19 games.

Thompson steadied the ship with 6 wins in 13.

Then we faltered again under Moore with 3 wins in 14.

I can see the argument, I think what I'm trying to get at but not doing very well with is that it could be even worse.

Moore has us stuttering, but we are still 9th, still above teams like Ipswich and Portsmouth.

We haven't played well at all, but it feels like this season is on a knife edge. If we sack Moore then we need to have a plan of action imo, because if it has a negative effect and we lose 3 in a row instead of picking up points we could easily see ourselves dragged towards the bottom. If we do have a plan and put feelers out to say Paul Warne or Ryan Lowe (examples) and they would be up for it, then we could find ourselves better off.

I don't think we're at the position just yet like Charlton, where you sack the manager no matter if you have somebody lined up or not. But if we could get somebody in like the two mentioned above then I certainly wouldn't be against it.

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Well in my fifty years of watching us we’ve had three exceptional managers Jack Wilco and big Ron. A couple of good ones tricky trev and sturrock, a few average ones, who flattered to deceive some absolute garbage and jos and monk. 

Don’t think we have ever been good at picking managers. 

A couple of things. One. Both JC and RA took time to achieve success. The latter, of course, even led us to relegation. A freak relegation, but relegation nonetheless. Two. All of the permanent managers DC's employed have had a managerial CV when they joined us that was at least as impressive as HW's was when he joined us, and around half have had managerial CVs at least as impressive as JC's was. Perhaps our problem is that we're not good at choosing the right manager at the right time, both in terms of the manager's own career and in terms of development from the club's point of view?

2 minutes ago, Sova said:

A couple of things. One. Both JC and RA took time to achieve success. The latter, of course, even led us to relegation. A freak relegation, but relegation nonetheless. Two. All of the permanent managers DC's employed have had a managerial CV when they joined us that was at least as impressive as HW's was when he joined us, and around half have had managerial CVs at least as impressive as JC's was. Perhaps our problem is that we're not good at choosing the right manager at the right time, both in terms of the manager's own career and in terms of development from the club's point of view?

Excellent points, how would you solve your last point, that's the intriguing bit?

I think we're close to make or break for Moore, although that time already seems like it's come with the fans.

I don't know if Moore's hand was forced losing Andre Green, who is now doing very well elsewhere, but it's a shame losing players with potential. We're still waiting for it to click now, so nobody can really bash Green, who's found his form elsewhere.

I still think it'll click for us at some point. Moore has to be feeling it. The most he's ever been backed as a football manager. 

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The atmosphere this season has been horrific. First time I’d say the fans aren’t helping the club at all.

The first sign of trouble everyone jumped on Moore and the team. 

Very strange reaction in my opinion. Yes we are poo , but did people not see the train wreck of last season? Bit more patience and realism required.

Maybe they've all just had a drink, eh?

:ph34r:

I do want DM to succeed and put a stop to the manager merry go round that’s gone on since DCs takeover.

I think he’s a genuinely decent, nice guy but that has its downfalls at times. His constant over praising and showing far too much respect to opposition teams has got to stop. 

Obviously consistency is key to success and the constant changing of formations, tactics and starting eleven for every match will never give us the chance to get anywhere near close to gaining some consistency.

I like many was happy with the recruiting of new players for this season given that we couldn’t spend money on transfers and DM showed good aptitude in the free , out of contract and loan markets. I understand that it takes time for a new team to get used to things and to gel and I was prepared to allow a little more time due to the amount of players we brought in. However we are now nearly in November and by now we should be able to predict our starting eleven and generally the formation as part of our ‘identity’. There has been very little signs that this is anywhere close to being achieved. 

It’s a given that the majority of football fans do not have a background playing professional football and don’t hold coaching badges. But even the most inexperienced of managers/coaches should be able to see that our current tactics aren’t working. Things need to go back to basics and stop over complicating what is in essence a simple game. Stop changing things every game and pick a formation that suits the group we have, try just going to a 442 and using the strength in depth of attacking minded   players. Just play to their strengths, our centre backs are not the most technically gifted players and scrapping playing out from the back has to stop to reduce putting us under unnecessary pressure.

I hope things can be turned around and very quickly, if not I’m not sure how we will fair.

• Like 1

Just wanting and needing a manager to do well isn't enough when any fool can see that unfortunately, Darren Moore is an irredeemably terrible tactician.

At the start of the season he was rightly getting massive backing despite us not playing great. Mainly due to good recruitment on Darrens part.

A lot of fans wouldn't be so ready to get rid now if there had been a few games where everything clicked or there was a consistant approach.But its been shocking every week.

He has tinkered relentlessly with formations tactics players and partnerships while the performances have stank the place out. Loads of players have been driven out of form by this.

lts not going to get better.

9 hours ago, sibon said:

Also, not booing would be a good idea. Johnson was booed before he’d kicked a ball on Saturday. The whole team were booed halfway through the first half. It really doesn’t help.

A positive and supportive atmosphere might help. Even if the players seem unsure which way they are kicking.

Especially considering the stage certain players are at in their careers (I didn't include Dele Bashiru in this at the time, either)...