Sacking and not backing Pulis

Hiring Pulis was probably a mistake, but sacking him (and all the stuff in between) was a bigger one. 

Pulis came in expecting the chairman to invest in key positions in an attempt to survive. Anyone with half a brain would, especially with an owner lamenting how much he already invested. But the following transfer window show Chansiri had no intention of investing in our survival. 

Around this time Chansiri had also failed to pay the players. But let's blame Pulis for that. 

Pulis is a proven manager who isn't a softy. The fact people didn't like him suggested to me that he's exactly what we may have needed.

The hiring and firing of Pulis was a bizarre episode, but anyone who thinks Pulis is worse than what we ended up with probably needs to give their head a shake. 

Ultimately we went down anyway, so it's a laughable discussion at best.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Biggest mistake we’ve made.

Wouldn’t have been pretty. But fecking hell - give him 6 months and we would be able to see games out and we wouldn’t have been a soft touch.

He would have sorted out this weak mentality, not a problem. He may well have taken us down but he’s the type of character who wouldn’t have let this poo continue.

Moore should get the time to try and sort it out. But Pulis would have sorted it quicker. 

After reading your comments, I'm left stunned.

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Biggest mistake we’ve made.

Wouldn’t have been pretty. But fecking hell - give him 6 months and we would be able to see games out and we wouldn’t have been a soft touch.

He would have sorted out this weak mentality, not a problem. He may well have taken us down but he’s the type of character who wouldn’t have let this poo continue.

Moore should get the time to try and sort it out. But Pulis would have sorted it quicker. 

He actually resigned but Chansiri sacked him to stop him from talking.

Pulis did not want to be working at this club once he saw how it was being run, this is why we have Moore in now, a gamble and it isn't paying off, God knows what's next.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Owls2k said:

He gave up on the job, not the players. 

He'd have been the right appointment under a different owner. 

I agree he gave up on the job but he definitely gave up on the players too because in virtually every interview he banged on about getting to the transfer window and bringing in new players. He did nothing to improve what he already had and was a major let down. I thought he'd make an immediate improvement but we were worse. Poor from a man with his experience.

18 hours ago, SiJ said:

The chairman is still in Thailand.

He backed his manager in the summer with 14 new signings. 

That manager is wasting most of those signings by playing this ridiculous 3-5-2 system.

The chairman is culpable for many things, but the ineptness of Moore isn't one.

Tell me again who appointed Moore .

17 hours ago, katie melua said:

Hiring him in the first place was the biggest "mistake" we've made.

You're in a relegation battle and you go and get shot shy Tony in charge who plays for 0-1s. We would have been better off getting Alan Irvine or Stuart Gray back.

Shouldn't have got rid of Garry Monk if we're going to go down this route. 

He shouldn’t have appointed Monk in the first place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bulldog said:

The same Manager who told DC he would ring in sick if he didn't sack him??

He clearly wanted out once he realised exactly what working with Chansiri entails.

Still, it was reported by Nancy Frostick in The Athletic that, "despite Chansiri’s claims that Pulis would not agree to leave on mutually-agreed terms rather than being sacked, The Athletic understands that Pulis had agreed to such a deal that meant he would relinquish his severance fee. A breakdown in dealings with club officials rendered such an agreement impossible as Chansiri opted instead to sack his manager."

20 hours ago, sage owl said:

He shouldn’t have appointed Monk in the first place.

I wouldn't disagree with that but shows what sort of market for managers we will be in again if we sack Moore.

I wouldn't be upset if Moore went but would only be another uninspiring name from the non Premier League merry go round we would end up getting.

On 24/10/2021 at 01:07, TomtheOwl95 said:

Right, lets indulge in this other dimension in which we keep Pulis on and we go down with him.

Do you really think he would have stuck around to try and get us back up?

This is either a total wind up, attention seeking or you've lost the plot Sally.

If we backed Pulis in January with a striker and a left back, I don’t think we get relegated. In fact if we backed any manager in January with those two players - we stay up. 

In the right environment Pulis would have stayed here and would have stopped us leaking soft goals and throwing away points through lack of concentration and individual mistakes.

A Tony Pulis side does not have a weak underbelly.

That is the point of the thread. Not rocket science folks. Give Pulis the tools and environment to succeed I think we are still in the Championship. AND this shocking record we currently have which sees us dropping points consistently would be banished. 

Hate on that all you will. But it’s the truth.

We need an old school, no nonsense, disciplinarian to come in and get these players organised. Moore doesn’t strike me as that character. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

In the right environment Pulis would have stayed here and would have stopped us leaking soft goals and throwing away points through lack of concentration and individual mistakes.

That is the point of the thread. Not rocket science folks. Give Pulis the tools and environment to succeed I think we are still in the Championship. AND this shocking record we currently have which sees us dropping points consistently would be banished. 

We need an old school, no nonsense, disciplinarian to come in and get these players organised. Moore doesn’t strike me as that character. 

Think the days of Pulis, Megson, Big Mick Macathy for better or worse have gone.
Less and less players would have responded to his man management methods.
Only really Warnock left of the old school managers and he seems to have adapted his approach a bit.

8 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think the days of Pulis, Megson, Big Mick Macathy for better or worse have gone.
Less and less players would have responded to his man management methods.
Only really Warnock left of the old school managers and he seems to have adapted his approach a bit.

I do disagree. In terms of what the club needed I think he would have stopped the rot and laid the foundations for a new manager to come in and take us to the next level. Pulis was never a long term solution, a short term gap to stop the losing mentality and the inability to hold a lead. He would have sorted this out with the right tools, no doubt. 

Problem last season is, the vast majority of the squad were out of contract AND not getting paid on time. So it would have been even harder for Pulis to get players to respond to his methods. That’s why I say in the right environment, he is the type of manager we need. 

Essentially we’ve sacked Pulis. Brought in Moore, who is trying to implement a style of play without addressing the ‘culture’ and mentality ingrained in the club where we leak soft goals and make mistakes. 

We need to stop the rot first. That for me, comes from an experienced old head, old school manager who makes us organised and tough to beat.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

If only there was sombody like that..aå wednesday man..who lives a few miles from the ground..oh well..😫

9 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Problem last season is, the vast majority of the squad were out of contract AND not getting paid on time. So it would have been even harder for Pulis to get players to respond to

Thomson did ok...in fact if pulis had pissed off a few games earlier we would have stayed up.