Sacking and not backing Pulis

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, 0114 said:

You’re gonna get shredded for that opinion but I completely agree. 

Had he been backed in January I’m sure we would have stayed up. It wouldn’t have been pretty but we would have. He clearly didn’t see eye to eye with the chairmen and seems being under an embargo didn’t help. 

I think the reputation he gets is harsh, his football isn’t pretty but the bloke knows what he’s doing.

I also think we was just starting to see the good signs before he left. We had played well away Swansea, Norwich & Blackburn while also having some spirited performances at home against Coventry & Reading. 

I always say you can dislike how he plays the game but you can’t call him a bad manager. 

It was awful to watch, we were so defensive. And he wasn’t using Rhodes and we had no other striker.

That said I think survival was there for the taking.. we had 28 points from 28 games even after the deduction, then Shaw cost us the Birmingham game and from then on we never recovered despite other teams trying to get themselves relegated.

If Pulis had stayed we’d have got more than 42 points I think and might have stayed up. But it’s all a bit irrelevant because I don’t think Chansiri sacked him because of 10 games of poor results. It’s more that Pulis got here, realised we were a basket case and that he didn’t want to do it.. and then angled to be sacked to ensure he got paid up rather than having to resign. He basically made his own position untenable and having him in charge all season wasn’t an option 

43 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

10 games isn’t enough for any manager.

He was also managing when players weren’t being paid. 

And there was still half a season to play after his sacking. Still got relegated.

Neil Thompson - never managed a Championship club in his life, not managed a senior team at any level for goodness knows how long, was like a breath of fresh air after Pulis.

He didn't want to be here and nobody wanted him to be here at that stage. 

Can't see a queue of clubs lining up to take him on before or since that shocking stint with us. His time has gone. 

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Biggest mistake we’ve made.

Wouldn’t have been pretty. But fecking hell - give him 6 months and we would be able to see games out and we wouldn’t have been a soft touch.

He would have sorted out this weak mentality, not a problem. He may well have taken us down but he’s the type of character who wouldn’t have let this poo continue.

Moore should get the time to try and sort it out. But Pulis would have sorted it quicker. 

WHAT??????????????????????????   

9 minutes ago, Tom22709 said:

OP you do post some knee jerk shyte. It’s bad enough our clubs great history is now blemished with that mans name on our records, let’s not give that overpaid waster anymore attention on here

That man has had a very successful career in football management. Far more successful than Sheffield Wednesday has been in the last 20 years.

• Like 1

Having decided to appoint Pulis, he should have been backed in the January Window. The Chairman IMO didn’t want or was unable to shell out the coin that would’ve been required and that call amongst a variety of decisions/reasons cost us our championship status?

21 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Neil Thompson - never managed a Championship club in his life, not managed a senior team at any level for goodness knows how long, was like a breath of fresh air after Pulis.

He didn't want to be here and nobody wanted him to be here at that stage. 

Can't see a queue of clubs lining up to take him on before or since that shocking stint with us. His time has gone. 

Neil Thompson had a couple of good games and then struggled massively.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

That man has had a very successful career in football management. Far more successful than Sheffield Wednesday has been in the last 20 years.

Well the only success he had at our club was picking up a fat pay cheque and f****g off when he felt like it. Deserves zero respect from me, you or any other person connected with this football club

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom22709 said:

Well the only success he had at our club was picking up a fat pay cheque and f****g off when he felt like it. Deserves zero respect from me, you or any other person connected with this football club

lol

This is so wrong. The only person to blame for any issues last season was the chairman. 

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Pulis would have been a cracking manager for Wednesday 15 years ago but his time has come and gone.

I don't think players in 2021 would have accepted his man management methods.

Well Boro players managed ok only a couple of years back. Stewart Downing said on a podcast recently that Pulis was a good manager in his last Boro stint.

13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Neil Thompson had a couple of good games and then struggled massively.

Yet still outperformed Pulis who was on the managerial scrapheap when we turned to him and is back on it again now.  

Hiring him in the first place was the biggest "mistake" we've made.

You're in a relegation battle and you go and get shot shy Tony in charge who plays for 0-1s. We would have been better off getting Alan Irvine or Stuart Gray back.

Shouldn't have got rid of Garry Monk if we're going to go down this route. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Pulis would have stopped this rot of not holding on to a lead.

Fact. He has a track record of it. 

Not sure how we’d know that, did we ever even have the lead under his p..s poor management 

Edited by Ian