Next 2 Months

2 hours ago, RockieOwl said:

Before last night and even before the run of 4 without a win I have always been looking at October as a key month. 3 home games and the 3 away games against Wimbledon, Cambridge and Charlton.

But now with the Sunderland game being rearranged for November, 4 of our 5 home games will be at Hillsborough so 7 out of the next 11 games are at Hillsborough

image.png.b6ad0e15601753085cae883013ca4ede.png

Is it unrealistic to expect 8 or 9 wins out of these? If we are to go for the top 2 surely thats what we need to do. All of a sudden last night's win is getting me all giddy and excited again!

There isn't a team in this league that we can't beat home or away so we could put the whole fixture list up.

There are though plenty that will beat us if we don't battle and scrap and 'earn the right to play'. We haven't done that consistently yet but I am hoping that Moore has learned from the Plymouth and Shrewsbury games and makes us a nasty bunch of b'stards - horrible to play against but with quality to score goals.

We also haven't shown that we can be resilient when things and goals go against us. we can't score first every game and so until we do sort this out we will always be a mid table side.

So in answer to your question, it isn't unrealistic that we could win 8 or 9 but given what we have seen so far we aren't at that level yet. 

5 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

I certainly won't underestimate Oxford, Bolton, MK Dons and Wycombe - all of these can score goals, something we're not doing in abundance right now. 

Our defence is keeping us in it, we've not conceded many - but we really need things to click in the final third and start punishing sides when we're on top at home. 

You raise some valid points.  

I agree we should not be underestimating any of the opposition, that is where our problems have arisen this season, us thinking we can just turn up, stroll about for 90 minutes and pick up the win.  

Every game in this division will be a scrap.  Also add in incompetent and sub standard refereeing into the mix and games can be turned on its head in an instant.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

We’ve played 3 homes and 6 aways.

Weve a game in hand on most.

We are 2 points off 5th & 6th.

We’ve not been great, but we are in very good shape.

I think we’ll get better and stronger as the season goes on. Trick is to stay in contention until Christmas then in the second half of the season, our strength in depth should count as quite a few squads in the league should start to feel the pace?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fpowl said:

If we play like that 

high intensity working hard we will win a lot more than we lose 

as a team that was as hard fought game as we are going to see this year 

two teams having a right go 

most teams would completely collapse under that intensity 

I’m sure it will of taken it out of the lads as they covered some serious ground but for me that’s the standard now 

I can take dropping points if we’ve made them work for it Plymouth beat us comfortably by turning up and playing at high intensity 

we would have easily beat Shrewsbury and Ipswich if we played like that 

superb efforts by the lot if them I can certainly get behind a team that plays like that 

I much rather win ugly with heart like that than win from a wonder goal out of nowhere like when we had reach 

more of the same please 

We could have beaten Shrewsbury if bannan could hit home the penalty and the linesman not made an horrendous mistake 

Ipswich simple Farrell peacock cost us a win 

• Like 1

Forget too 2. It’s unrealistic given where we are as a club. First we need consistent selection, performance and results. We are still some way off that. 
Better to focus on too 10 come the New Year when hopefully we can push in and have a good go at the playoffs. 
3 wins, 4 draws and 3 losses would be a good return from the 10 matches highlighted by the OP. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Honestly think we can get 25 points from next 11 games and be on 40 after 20 games.

7 out of the 11 are at home  and the 4 away games are all winnable

Quick reminder we've just lost to Plymouth, Morecambe - and drawn to Shrewsbury and Ipswich. 

• Thanks 2

On 29/09/2021 at 08:34, RockieOwl said:

Before last night and even before the run of 4 without a win I have always been looking at October as a key month. 3 home games and the 3 away games against Wimbledon, Cambridge and Charlton.

But now with the Sunderland game being rearranged for November, 4 of our 5 home games will be at Hillsborough so 7 out of the next 11 games are at Hillsborough

image.png.b6ad0e15601753085cae883013ca4ede.png

Is it unrealistic to expect 8 or 9 wins out of these? If we are to go for the top 2 surely thats what we need to do. All of a sudden last night's win is getting me all giddy and excited again!

Yes it's unrealistic. 6 wins would be a great return imo. We are still a long way from the finished article and results and performances will be inconsistent for a while yet.

Said around the start of the season with so many new players in and so many short of pre season if we could stay in touch with the autos would be good as we theoretically get better as the season goes on and players get fitter, gel into more of a team and the gaffer learns his most effective 11.

On 29/09/2021 at 14:21, Ronio said:

You raise some valid points.  

I agree we should not be underestimating any of the opposition, that is where our problems have arisen this season, us thinking we can just turn up, stroll about for 90 minutes and pick up the win.  

Every game in this division will be a scrap.  Also add in incompetent and sub standard refereeing into the mix and games can be turned on its head in an instant.  

That is a very good point. The referees have been very poor. But most of the bad decisions seem to favour the home team. Saying that they have also been inconsistent. Don't be to surprised that a ludicrous decision is made and decides the result. Even if we do go on a good run. I can't see us winning games by more than the odd goal or possibley two. Making refs decisions having more influence on the results. 

The biggest disappointment of the season so far has been the referees for me. 

• Like 1