European Football 2021-22

9 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Pep’s time at City is up for some serious evaluation.

There’s been some failings. 

The more I think about these two matches against Real, they’ve basically f00ked it up… but will still be called the best team in the world by many. 

City play liquid football, but for some reason RM and Liverpool in Europe just are different animals. 

I know what is meant too about the Liverpool and City teams. In a one off game I always feel Liverpool have the edge over City for some reason.. 

I hate the scouse, but Klopp has now also got a serious squad, not just 13 or 14 players and I fear they are going to dominate the next 2 or 3 years 

4 hours ago, owls maniac said:

English finals tend to be pants, so I’m not unhappy about this. 

I agree.

City's bench doesn't  have depth, grealish  hasn't performed  and Stirling  needs to be moved on.

Russian Warship.... Go fxxk yourselves.

On 13/04/2022 at 09:19, WorrallOwl17 said:

Just something about games in the Bernebeu that sparks magic moments. Whether it's for Madrid or against Madrid, there is always magical moments in this ground at the knockout stages of the champions league. Literally drama every year when Madrid make it deep in this competition and it's usually the Bernebeu game that sparks it. Gutting that Liverpool will have had Benfica and Villareal to get to the final. Spozzy gets

And again! Every round it's been chaos in the leg in Madrid. PSG, Chelsea, Man City. This team don't even accept defeat do they. Reckon Ancelotti won't start the same team in the final though, Valverde as the third forward doesn't work, and it looks like the Modric/Kroos age is slowly coming to an end. The boy Rodrygo has to start up top with Benzema and Vini, and that Camavinga has to start with Casemiro and one of Kroos/Modric, probably Modric. 

And even though KDB wasn't his usual self last night, i did say at the time that the sub was very premature, Pep hooked him, Jesus and Mahrez off way too soon, i know hindsight is a wonderful thing but going with Rodri, Gundogan and Fernandinho with quite a while left did seem way too early. Was shocked to see KDB been the first to be brought off. Just hope Madrid turn up in the final and remember it won't be at the Bernebeu in the final! 

4 hours ago, Señor Sam said:

I agree.

City's bench doesn't  have depth, grealish  hasn't performed  and Stirling  needs to be moved on.

Soneone needs to have a word with Stirling about how he runs. It's not natural.

10 hours ago, Alb1owl said:

Ref’s a bit bent isn’t he 😂

Casemiro definitely has some naughty pictures of the ref somewhere doesn't he. Should have got two yellows in first half and comes off in the second off with none hahaha. Either he's got some ******** pics of the ref stored somewhere or the ref was just poo scared of the nutter. 

10 hours ago, SiJ said:

They've completely lost it tonight...though Real have done this now three times against supposedly better teams. 

Grealish has been a disaster since he came on. 

Grealish is biggest waste of money ever. 

52 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Jesus and Mahrez off way too soon

Obviously things didn't work out for them, but they were 2 goals clear at the time and Jesus went off with 12 minutes + injury time to go, Mahrez with 5 minutes + injury time to go. They really should have been able to hold out. City were playing pretty well until Real got their first too.

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

I reckon this will mean city go out and break the bank for Haaland.

They needed someone like him last night instead of grealish.

Agreed I said at the time they should have signed a proper centre forward like Haaland and not Grealish.  They already had players in the position like Mahrez, Bernardo silva, Sterling, Foden etc but only Jesus as a striker.

At the time I thought Grealish did well in normal time and his misses were unlucky. 10 mins later and they were catastrophic. He did ok though and although overpriced I think he’ll do well at City eventually (a bit like Mahrez has done).

RM seem to play in little spurts and find something when they need it most and have the quality to pull it off. The pass from Modric and finish from Rodrygo against Chelsea was just brilliant and they looked in all sorts of trouble against City in both legs but somehow stayed in the tie. Seem to have their name on it this year.

I hate both Real Madrid and Liverpool. If only there was a way for both teams to lose.

City done goofed but then they always seem to go down the toilet in Europe. I have no idea wtf they were doing buying Grealish.

Edited by FightLikeAGirl
  • Like 1

not seen any european ties for years since it went to BT but caught the last 15 minutes and extra time and it wasnt something i'd want to experience again ........time wasting , players throwing themselves to the floor and and all those substitutions that meant there was very little actual playing time in the second period .....the commentator made it sound like we were  watching one of the greatest  games  ever .

• Like 1

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I really don't understand why so much stock is put into winning the European cups. 

By that, I mean winning the European Cup is the be all and end all - a season is a disaster if you don't win it. 

Obviously, it is the most prestigious competition you can win in domestic football but still. 

If it was a different manager and a different club, then I don't think we would be getting this narrative about failure. 

At the end of the day, the Champs League is a knockout competition and there is always the chance (like last night) where things suddenly go awry. 

More than a few instances where a so-so team or a team has lucked their way to victory in the thing - Porto in 2003, Liverpool in 2005, Chelsea in 2012. 

A few years back Pep won the domestic treble, which was once described by Fergie as impossible...though Liverpool may well do it this season. Still - to label the man a fraud and/or failure is ridiculous imo. 

Edited by SiJ

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I really don't understand why so much stock is put into winning the European cups. 

By that, I mean winning the European Cup is the be all and end all - a season is a disaster if you don't win it. 

Obviously, it is the most prestigious competition you can win in domestic football but still.*

If it was a different manager and a different club, then I don't think we would be getting this narrative about failure. 

At the end of the day, the Champs League is a knockout competition and there is always the chance (like last night) where things suddenly go awry. 

More than a few instances where a so-so team or a team has lucked their way to victory in the thing - Porto in 2003, Liverpool in 2005, Chelsea in 2012. 

A few years back Pep won the domestic treble, which was once described by Fergie as impossible...though Liverpool may well do it this season. Still - to label the man a fraud and/or failure is ridiculous imo. 

Should have said club, not domestic*

I think clubs like Man City and PSG feel they have to win it because of the massive amounts of spending they have undertaken in recent years

I can also understand the question marks over PG too, he dropped a massive b*****k with his team selection in the final last year and his subs last night cost City the game in the end

Also to say he’s a supposed managerial genius he’s not landed the top prize since he left what was probably the best football team of all time in Barcelona 2008