European Football 2021-22

After watching last night, and watching a few old firms this season, it made me think how both would fare in the prem? Having a look at the EPL as it stands, i'd put them around the Southampton/Everton mark? Anything from 14th down really. Everyone from Villa and above would beat them both wouldn't they? Convincingly i'd say. To say both glasgow teams are at the top of their game at the moment, one in a europa final and scottish cup final and another just won the league and playing good football under Ange, i think they'd both hover above the relegation zone in the prem? 

16 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

After watching last night, and watching a few old firms this season, it made me think how both would fare in the prem? Having a look at the EPL as it stands, i'd put them around the Southampton/Everton mark? Anything from 14th down really. Everyone from Villa and above would beat them both wouldn't they? Convincingly i'd say. To say both glasgow teams are at the top of their game at the moment, one in a europa final and scottish cup final and another just won the league and playing good football under Ange, i think they'd both hover above the relegation zone in the prem? 

The Scottish Premiership is a mish-mash of abilities and size of club ranging from Prem to League 2/National League in my opinion. We’re a small country so it’s not surprising.

I think it’s hard to compare Rangers and Celtic fairly because their budgets aren’t in the same league as the Prem teams. They really overachieved and punched above their weight in Europe on that run. 

Norwich will make more money than both of them this year, even though the Glasgow pair dwarf the likes of Norwich as clubs. But despite the financial mismatch the pair of them are still undoubtedly better than some of the lower end Prem teams on the pitch. On a level financial playing field they’d be mid table Prem at the very least IMO. Current squads I agree they’d be one of the Prem’s stragglers.

Even my team Hearts, the 3rd biggest Scottish club, are bigger than most English Championship teams too. We had really strict Covid laws this season (a restricted crowd of 5000 against Celtic which would have been a sellout) and even despite that our average attendance this season is better than half of the English Championship teams.

We’ve got a better setup than most of those Championship teams off the pitch too. A modern stadium, we’ve got the best training ground in Scotland (the national team use often it), we’ve got a strong academy which is going to make us several millions again from Hickey’s upcoming sale, and a good team on the pitch too which will play group stage European football next season. I think Hearts could and should compete in the English Championship. The rest in their current state would be in the leagues below.

10 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

The Scottish Premiership is a mish-mash of abilities and size of club ranging from Prem to League 2/National League in my opinion. We’re a small country so it’s not surprising.

I think it’s hard to compare Rangers and Celtic fairly because their budgets aren’t in the same league as the Prem teams. They really overachieved and punched above their weight in Europe on that run. 

Norwich will make more money than both of them this year, even though the Glasgow pair dwarf the likes of Norwich as clubs. But despite the financial mismatch the pair of them are still undoubtedly better than some of the lower end Prem teams on the pitch. On a level financial playing field they’d be mid table Prem at the very least IMO. Current squads I agree they’d be one of the Prem’s stragglers.

Even my team Hearts, the 3rd biggest Scottish club, are bigger than most English Championship teams too. We had really strict Covid laws this season (a restricted crowd of 5000 against Celtic which would have been a sellout) and even despite that our average attendance this season is better than half of the English Championship teams.

We’ve got a better setup than most of those Championship teams off the pitch too. A modern stadium, we’ve got the best training ground in Scotland (the national team use often it), we’ve got a strong academy which is going to make us several millions again from Hickey’s upcoming sale, and a good team on the pitch too which will play group stage European football next season. I think Hearts could and should compete in the English Championship. The rest in their current state would be in the leagues below.

good insight that mate, cheers! yeah there's no doubting the size of the clubs, they'd be in the top half of the table easily in terms of club size, can tell that from the numbers who have gone abroad to watch them this season. To be fair to Rangers, a few of their players would get decent prem moves. Kent, Bassey, Goldson and Tav could get a move to a Brighton, Palace, Villa, Southampton sort of side 

• Thanks 1

If Celtic and Rangers did move to the PL (hopefully not) then they’d be ripe for huge investment which could see them challenging for European spots. It’d be an interesting experiment, but I’m opposed to it happening purely because I find both clubs and their fans utterly tedious

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

good insight that mate, cheers! yeah there's no doubting the size of the clubs, they'd be in the top half of the table easily in terms of club size, can tell that from the numbers who have gone abroad to watch them this season. To be fair to Rangers, a few of their players would get decent prem moves. Kent, Bassey, Goldson and Tav could get a move to a Brighton, Palace, Villa, Southampton sort of side 

I think Kamara at Rangers could easily play in the Prem too. Then there’s the injured bunch Helander, Hagi, Morelos etc. 

Thing with the Old Firm is, irrespective of the supposed quality, the pressure to play for either of those sides is huge. 

For all intents and purposes, you are expected to win pretty much every week. 

Have listened to a few interviews from ex-Old firm players who went to ply their trade in the Championship. Generally speaking, felt that the standard wasn't all that and they found it odd not playing for clubs without the level of expectation and pressure. 

• Like 1

I was happy for Roma to win, hope Abraham stays there as it is obviously a good for him.

I also like Jose as he is an interesting character and he doesn't annoy me the same way that Klopp does. Not sure why, as I am sure he is a massive bellend. I just find him interesting.

The competition has been better than I expected had a few biggish clubs competing in it. When it was first announced I was expecting the competition to be the likes HJK Helsinki or Slovan Bratislava competing for the trophy. The format for all 3 competitions is good right now just a shame their changing it in a few years time to suit the greedy mega clubs.