Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

Just now, owlinexile said:

If someone said to you that you could take back football for the fans and all it would cost was the existence in the football pyramid of six clubs that you don't support, and the ability to maybe one day watch some 'big stars' that you wouldn't recognise if they walked past you in the street anyway, you would bite their hand off.

It's poo for the fans of those clubs.  Help should definitely be offered if they want to set up new phoenix clubs.

Now if only the football authorities in weren't so bloody timid.

I want all the present clubs to play in leagues where promotion and relegation is fought over.  I don't think it's much to ask for, and it has around 100 years of success. 

This is not the clubs per se it's all about very rich billionaires who have demonstrated that they have no interest in the long term future of the game.   If they can get ten years out of it they will walk away even richer.  Probably leaving the game in complete disarray. 

2 minutes ago, DVDA said:

I don't have anything constructive to say, except: f*** Man U, f*** City, f*** Liverpool, f*** Atletico, f*** Madrid,  f*** Milan, f*** Inter, and especially f*** Arsenal and Spurs.

Addendum: massive spiky pineapples up the bum for the Glazers. May their gilded halls fall in on their heads and give them a ruddy headache.

Don't do yourself down. That's the most constructive post in the thread

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Yes, in effect destroying the Champions League.

I see.  So in effect, they are trying to ensure that they can make more profit for themselves and their club, ensuring that year on year they can pay higher transfer fees and wages than the rest of the 14 clubs in the hope that this secures them SL titles.  

As they are in effect a closed shop with regards to the SL, do they even care where they finish in the PL?  I can’t see players on a million a week busting a gut to beat Burnley when they’re already guaranteed to be in the SL next season and they’ve got a fixture against Barcelona coming up with some juicy performance related bonuses in the offing.  It devalues the PL.

The alternative is to kick them out and you still have a ‘devalued’ PL.

Its hard to see how the PL survives this.

• Like 4

In many respects it would be hilarious if any court actions are brought in the US (given the number of US owners presumably a distinct possibility). Imagine the US courts trying to determine how the largest global sport (which they don't even take seriously) should be run!

Hopefully the rest of the planet collectively tells them to do one.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

You make an excellent point about the players.

With no fear of failure, places in EFL squads could well become filled with old has-beens rather than filled with ambitious players determined to prove a point. Suddenly, do we get an ever decreasing shop window for young emerging talent?

The EFL itself could well become its own retirement home!

Sorry pal I don’t follow surely the EFL will stay as competitive as it is now with promotion and relegation with more young talent available while the retiring superstars go to the Super league circus. 
Apologies if I’ve misinterpreted your meaning 

7 minutes ago, Billque said:

Not sure if this idea as been muted earlier, but here goes anyway. Obviously this new league is all about more money for the big clubs. So , where does all this money come from indirectly ? Yes, the fans !!  by paying more for the privelege to watch the new E.S.L. games on TV through all the different outlets, advertising at the grounds, which we also pay for indirectly through dearer products, advertising during games etc. ALL revenue needed to pay these BIG clubs will come from US THE TRUE FANS OF FOOTBALL. Well i tell you what, why don,t we all just boycott all these clubs right now. Don,t buy any merchandise involving these clubs. Cancel all your subscriptions to Sky TV etc. Do anything to stop these money grabbing parasites from destroying OUR Football structure, ie 4 divisions with promotion and relegation, because the lack of funds filtering down from the Big clubs will surely mean the end of football as we know it now.

What % of global revenue do you reckon British fans contribute towards?

A boycott would be a lovely sentiment, but a few tens of thousands of Spanish and British fans refusing to watch a game will barely make a dent in the balance sheet when a global audience is tuning in to watch Barca vs Man city on Amazon

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

I would think that Morgan Stanley's legal team have been all over the contractual issues long before this was announced.

They must feel they have a good chance of winning.

They are a US based organisation and will probably try to take it through the US courts, I think they have overplayed their hand.

Just now, parkfieldowl14 said:

Exactly Right. Give it a few more years,Then it will be the ESL that will be dead.Only to be replaced with a ' World Super League ' .

It's like something out of WWE.

Sacked off the European cup for a new shiny trophy.

4 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Genuine Question:

Had we been promoted under Carlos, would we have been invited into the Super League?

I don't think its a genuine question 😀 but even if it was and we would end up as one of the "big six" I would still find this disgusting. I would actually be more disgusted. I actually feel for the proper fans of the "big six"

• Haha 1

Just now, Big Malc said:

I see.  So in effect, they are trying to ensure that they can make more profit for themselves and their club, ensuring that year on year they can pay higher transfer fees and wages than the rest of the 14 clubs in the hope that this secures them SL titles.  

As they are in effect a closed shop with regards to the SL, do they even care where they finish in the PL?  I can’t see players on a million a week busting a gut to beat Burnley when they’re already guaranteed to be in the SL next season and they’ve got a fixture against Barcelona coming up with some juicy performance related bonuses in the offing.  It devalues the PL.

I agree

I would imagine if Man U for example couldn't win the Prem with say 7 games to go, then it would be a second string team they put out for the rest of the season, or a much depleted side from their strongest 11.

A bit like City on Saturday, perhaps Pep knew something?

3 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

There was a leak earlier were an 'insider' said they owners don't care about the PL if they don't play in the competition, they secretly don't want their players playing for their country in fear of injuries.

They also said the good of the game is ' secondary concern '

4 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Really admire the sentiment of this - but the problem is as long as fans in North America and Asia pay TV subscriptions there'll be enough money to sustain this league.

Even if fans managed to arrange total boycotts of attending say Liverpool's Super League home games, the first thing they'd do is move the games to Boston, Hong Kong, wherever they get a sell-out crowd.

I think they'll do that anyway whether the fans boycott or not

Just now, Dronfield Blue said:

I would think that Morgan Stanley's legal team have been all over the contractual issues long before this was announced.

They must feel they have a good chance of winning.

Meticulously planned caught everyone on the hop, especially with everyone having one eye on Covid.  They will have planned everything down to the last detail, legalities, contracts, fans concerns. 

We have all been stitched up they must be laughing all the way to the bank again.  

Billionaires poo em. 

• Like 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

He tweeted it two years ago mate.

And got ridiculed. 

Now everyone is up in arms about something he warned will happen further down the line.

Hypocrisy in this country is bloody brilliant. 

I was more noting that he was talking about money men owning football clubs, Ashley, in Newcastle; no love lost there.