Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

1 minute ago, Utah Owl said:

They are a US based organisation and will probably try to take it through the US courts, I think they have overplayed their hand.

They will have engaged the best solicitors for the job in all the countries concerned. Everything will have been pre planned.

MS are a worldwide company and very cash rich.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Really admire the sentiment of this - but the problem is as long as fans in North America and Asia pay TV subscriptions there'll be enough money to sustain this league.

Even if fans managed to arrange total boycotts of attending say Liverpool's Super League home games, the first thing they'd do is move the games to Boston, Hong Kong, wherever they get a sell-out crowd.

But as has been proven during the pandemic. The fans create the atmosphere which makes games watchable.

Plastic fans who don't know any songs and don't have any hostility towards the away club/fans through decades of tribalism and history just won't be the same. It won't even be close.

It will be like watching a pre season friendly or whatever that they play during the summer in far flung corners of the world.

It will be poo and it won't last. Foreigners like watching the premier league because of the atmosphere and the crowds. It makes it what it is.

The super league will feel fake and fabricated because that's what it is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

He tweeted it two years ago mate.

And got ridiculed. 

Now everyone is up in arms about something he warned will happen further down the line.

Hypocrisy in this country is bloody brilliant. 

Find something everyone dislikes.

Criticise it.

Easy this politics, isn't it?

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Genuine Question:

Had we been promoted under Carlos, would we have been invited into the Super League?

Lol

6 minutes ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

Sorry pal I don’t follow surely the EFL will stay as competitive as it is now with promotion and relegation with more young talent available while the retiring superstars go to the Super league circus. 
Apologies if I’ve misinterpreted your meaning 

Sorry, mate, my bad....

When I said "EFL", I meant European Football League

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

I don't think its a genuine question 😀 but even if it was and we would end up as one of the "big six" I would still find this disgusting. I would actually be more disgusted. I actually feel for the proper fans of the "big six"

It's nice to see the big six fans up in arms about it. They can see it's all about stealing the game away from the true match going fans. 

1 minute ago, Dronfield Blue said:

They will have engaged the best solicitors for the job in all the countries concerned. Everything will have been pre planned.

MS are a worldwide company and very cash rich.

Even so, they cannot force FIFA to backtrack on a clear breach of long established rules.

Also, there is the possibility that the remaining clubs might in future decide to boycott any involvement with the 12 clubs of the ESL. The courts could not prevent that either.

If the 12 can form their own league, then the remaining clubs can choose never to platy them again and form their own leagues/competitions which specifically exclude them (exactly as the 12 have done to the remaining football world).

Genuinely don't see any legal argument whatsoever that can force the 12 to be allowed to remain in the FIFA/UEFA controlled competitions or leagues. Compensation maybe, but being forced to allow them to play?

I’m not particularly bothered TBH. As I said in an earlier post this has been on the cards for years.

As I see it if we let the big 6 breakaway and do their own thing then potentially we can restructure the English league pyramid and arguably make it more competitive, entertaining and therefore more interesting.

Apart from Leicester and Blackburn in the premier league years and We’re talking the best part of 30 years, the champions have come from Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea. Liverpool obviously won it for the first time last year. So only Tottenham of the breakaway 6 haven’t won the premier league title.

What that tells you is the premier league is uncompetitive. At most in a season you have three clubs challenging for the title. Most of the clubs in the country can get nowhere near the elite and never will do. And in all honesty it’s the same across Europe. The bigger clubs breakaway then I think their respective leagues become more competitive also?

I respect the traditionalists view but I’ll be honest I think this needs to happen and if it does I think the future will be brighter for English football than most think?

1 minute ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Good point.

We are only thinking European fans. The US, Canada, Japan, China, Russia ......and on and on.

It is looking like FIFA and UEFA have been stitched up like a kipper.

It’s all about the none traditional football markets, this is about getting on every TV across Asia 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

I see.  So in effect, they are trying to ensure that they can make more profit for themselves and their club, ensuring that year on year they can pay higher transfer fees and wages than the rest of the 14 clubs in the hope that this secures them SL titles.  

As they are in effect a closed shop with regards to the SL, do they even care where they finish in the PL?  I can’t see players on a million a week busting a gut to beat Burnley when they’re already guaranteed to be in the SL next season and they’ve got a fixture against Barcelona coming up with some juicy performance related bonuses in the offing.  It devalues the PL.

The alternative is to kick them out and you still have a ‘devalued’ PL.

Its hard to see how the PL survives this.

They will have enough money to hoover up even more players than they do already and have squads big enough to put separate teams out capable of winning both the Super League and the Premier League should they be allowed to do so. 

Just now, Utah Owl said:

Even so, they cannot force FIFA to backtrack on a clear breach of long established rules.

Also, there is the possibility that the remaining clubs might in future decide to boycott any involvement with the 12 clubs of the ESL. The courts could not prevent that either.

If the 12 can form their own league, then the remaining clubs can choose never to platy them again and form their own leagues/competitions which specifically exclude them (exactly as the 12 have done to the remaining football world).

Genuinely don't see any legal argument whatsoever that can force the 12 to be allowed to remain in the FIFA/UEFA controlled competitions or leagues. Compensation maybe, but being forced to allow them to play?

I agree, but you are forgetting, without the 'big 6', the PL is not that attractive to TV audiences.

The ESL have been under hand with what they have done, but it has been planned like a military operation. They have all the answers ready before the questions are asked.

I'll await the opinion of said legal experts and see how it goes.

A sad time for football. It's like the PL takeover again, but on a far larger scale.

• Like 2