Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It could lead to a shake up that will make football competition better but as Vulva says....

It depends who blinks first. Will the PL stick to their guns and kick them out or will they succumb to the fact that their own money making organisation need these clubs to maximise profit and so bow down & find a compromise that ultimately leads to these clubs getting even stronger.

The PL will be crapping themselves - as will UEFA

Without the biggest clubs their products are hideously devalued

I think the early signs are that the backers of the ESL mean business - previously threats alone from UEFA etc have been enough to ward off any challenge

It will be brilliant to see how it pans out if that threat is seriously challenged

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You previously mentioned that him and Havertz may well choose to run down their contracts and play for an organisation outside the Super League. I very much doubt it as their decision will be financially based, as it was to move to Chelsea in the first place. 

But its not just financial is it. If they can't play for their countries. That's the key bit of the argument. Miss that out and of course its purely financial 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

My bet is clubs will win.

Not sure tbh. If the clubs win then that renders all of the governing bodies effectively powerless and defunct and it's merely a matter of time before the next money driven challenge comes along.

If the governing bodies want to retain any form of control then they have to act immediately and decisively. For them it's a matter of survival.

15 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

What makes you say that?

The 12 have broken all the rules of the game, so FIFA etc. have every right to kick them out. It isn't an actionable court matter (or at least it shouldn't be).

The 12 aren't being banned from having a league and selling their product, just being banned from any FIFA sanctioned competition.

To be honest, everything is actionable as long as you have lawyers ready to take it to court and clients willing to pay the fees

16 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Cricket is a great example.

The Indian Premier League attracts the best players who can earn huge sums of money if selected. This impacts other competitions (e.g. Jonny Bairstow is playing in India at the moment whilst the County Championship is underway in England and Wales) but it only takes out six weeks of the year, including some of the England/Wales close season.

On the other hand, the new "franchised" cricket edition, The Hundred, is looking ever more like a huge disaster. Last time I looked, you could pick up a ticket for a fiver. The "serious" cricket fan is openly hostile to The Hundred which is a gerrymandered, plastic competition which holds zero attraction for the avid follower. I took this "Disney Does Cricket" subject up with the administrators and, basically, it's not about current fans and members at all. They are aiming for new markets, and stuff the current fans, which is why The Hundred will be subsidised to the hilt until it succeeds.

I have literally yet to meet a cricket lover who is looking forward to The Hundred. They argue that they already have the abridged version (T20), one day, county and test cricket; they do not want another form of the sport, especially one which ignores current fans and members and misses an opportunity to extend the sport from the grassroots up. Even the clubs are distancing themselves from The Hundred by admitting that their own involvement is basically renting the grounds to the franchise.

The expectation from some quarters is that it will lose money and mercifully wither on the vine within a few short years.

I expect that the proposed European football league might suffer the same fate once the pyramid falls beneath it and franchise football is shown up for what it is; just a moneyspinning adventure that cruelly exploits the fans' love of the game. Football is all about the badge, the brand, tribalism. That is the only valuable asset and the club owners are temporary. Clubs will still be here long after the current owners have perished. This is a blatant effort to use the goodwill of the product built by the fans to steal the very game from the same custodians of the game.

Excellent post fella. 
Don’t forget cricket went down this road with Kerry Packer in the 70’s. If the football authorities stay as strong as the cricket ones did by rejecting the clubs from their domestic leagues and banning their players from international football it will soon expose this for the greedy circus it actually is.
It won’t stop the money in the short term but it will eventually become a retirement home like the MLS. 
F@@k em, yes for the first couple of seasons the Premiership will be worse off but the working class ethos and history of football is far bigger than anything these will ever build.  UTO 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

The game is now run by billionaires who now already prevent other billionaires from getting any kind of foothold. Whether that’s blocking takeovers deemed a threat or placing spending restrictions on lower leagues. Unless the turkeys vote for Xmas and knock that on the head I don’t think anything will change.

Ideally a full review and reset would include these top clubs but that won’t happen. So I’d rather lose them than the wider pyramid be continually manipulated to suit 6-12 clubs. 

• Like 2

Do I understand it correctly then that these splitters do not intend to participate in the Champions or Europa Leagues next season (should they finish in a place that qualifies),  and that the Super League is their proposed replacement for the Champions League?

1 minute ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

Excellent post fella. 
Don’t forget cricket went down this road with Kerry Packer in the 70’s. If the football authorities stay as strong as the cricket ones did by rejecting the clubs from their domestic leagues and banning their players from international football it will soon expose this for the greedy circus it actually is.
It won’t stop the money in the short term but it will eventually become a retirement home like the MLS. 
F@@k em, yes for the first couple of seasons the Premiership will be worse off but the working class ethos and history of football is far bigger than anything these will ever build.  UTO 

Bingo

4 minutes ago, TheGaffer said:

But its not just financial is it. If they can't play for their countries. That's the key bit of the argument. Miss that out and of course its purely financial 

That's what the rules state but we will see if FIFA and UEFA have the power and balls to push that through. Both are money making organisations, will they be able to stand up to this, and if they don't will they reach a compromise that likely favours the big cubs and makes them even more powerful anyway. 

1 minute ago, Big Malc said:

To be honest, everything is actionable as long as you have lawyers ready to take it to court and clients willing to pay the fees

True, but winnable? 

I very much doubt it because those are the rules under which you compete and now 12 clubs want to go against all those rules to enrich themselves at the expense of others.

As I said earlier there is nothing to stop the 12 going completely breakaway with the ESL, but to then demand that FIFA etc. change all their rules to be allowed back into other competitions, I just can't see the courts even wanting to get involved let alone giving the ESL what they want.

To do so would create total anarchy within not just Football but all sports.

Just now, Utah Owl said:

True, but winnable? 

I very much doubt it because those are the rules under which you compete and now 12 clubs want to go against all those rules to enrich themselves at the expense of others.

As I said earlier there is nothing to stop the 12 going completely breakaway with the ESL, but to then demand that FIFA etc. change all their rules to be allowed back into other competitions, I just can't see the courts even wanting to get involved let alone giving the ESL what they want.

To do so would create total anarchy within not just Football but all sports.

A lawyer doesn’t care if it’s winnable, they care that their fee will be paid.  They exist literally to speak professionally on someone else’s behalf, even if that person is an idiot.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

Excellent post fella. 

Excellent Post.

7 minutes ago, scram said:

The PL will be crapping themselves - as will UEFA

Without the biggest clubs their products are hideously devalued

I think the early signs are that the backers of the ESL mean business - previously threats alone from UEFA etc have been enough to ward off any challenge

It will be brilliant to see how it pans out if that threat is seriously challenged

That's the issue. Domestic football in England could improve without the big 6 from a competitive, level playing field perspective. It may lose elite players at the top level but the all round competition could beneift.

The PL have never been set up with competitive value at the heart of their existence though, yes they consider it but it is not their primary objective, they want to maximise profit and losing out on the big 6 will hurt income and profit. 

Is it likely that they will now revert to doing what is good for the game as a whole and following through on rules which would see these clubs thrown out? 

3 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

Do I understand it correctly then that these splitters do not intend to participate in the Champions or Europa Leagues next season (should they finish in a place that qualifies),  and that the Super League is their proposed replacement for the Champions League?

Yep you got it, feck em, the rest of the 86 should refuse to play them!