Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

I’m not particularly bothered TBH. As I said in an earlier post this has been on the cards for years.

As I see it if we let the big 6 breakaway and do their own thing then potentially we can restructure the English league pyramid and arguably make it more competitive, entertaining and therefore more interesting.

Apart from Leicester and Blackburn in the premier league years and We’re talking the best part of 30 years, the champions have come from Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea. Liverpool obviously won it for the first time last year. So only Tottenham of the breakaway 6 haven’t won the premier league title.

What that tells you is the premier league is uncompetitive. At most in a season you have three clubs challenging for the title. Most of the clubs in the country can get nowhere near the elite and never will do. And in all honesty it’s the same across Europe. The bigger clubs breakaway then I think their respective leagues become more competitive also?

I respect the traditionalists view but I’ll be honest I think this needs to happen and if it does I think the future will be brighter for English football than most think?

Man City and Chelsea were sh!thouse for many a year and Spurs  haven’t won anything for years 

Just now, Dronfield Blue said:

I agree, but you are forgetting, without the 'big 6', the PL is not that attractive to TV audiences.

The ESL have been under hand with what they have done, but it has been planned like a military operation. They have all the answers ready before the questions are asked.

I'll await the opinion of said legal experts and see how it goes.

A sad time for football. It's like the PL takeover again, but on a far larger scale.

The games with the top teams battling it out are usually boring games; it’s the Newcastle vs Liverpool games, Southampton beating Man Utd because of their grey kit, these are the EPL games that are remembered. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

I’m not particularly bothered TBH. As I said in an earlier post this has been on the cards for years.

As I see it if we let the big 6 breakaway and do their own thing then potentially we can restructure the English league pyramid and arguably make it more competitive, entertaining and therefore more interesting.

Apart from Leicester and Blackburn in the premier league years and We’re talking the best part of 30 years, the champions have come from Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea. Liverpool obviously won it for the first time last year. So only Tottenham of the breakaway 6 haven’t won the premier league title.

What that tells you is the premier league is uncompetitive. At most in a season you have three clubs challenging for the title. Most of the clubs in the country can get nowhere near the elite and never will do. And in all honesty it’s the same across Europe. The bigger clubs breakaway then I think their respective leagues become more competitive also?

I respect the traditionalists view but I’ll be honest I think this needs to happen and if it does I think the future will be brighter for English football than most think?

Bang on as usual Jim. The English authorities are absolutely powerless to stop this, and should use it as the catalyst to reform English football. Just make sure the greedy ******** aren’t allowed back when it goes ******** up and turns into a touring world circus of football.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, TheGaffer said:

ESL

Like I have said throughout the players will be key but the fact that the UEFA president is calling for immediate bans on the players is a big big call

You might be right, but, if I had a free bet, I wouldn't know which one to back to win.

Probably ESL. (Hope I'm wrong)

12 minutes ago, trev said:

But as has been proven during the pandemic. The fans create the atmosphere which makes games watchable.

Plastic fans who don't know any songs and don't have any hostility towards the away club/fans through decades of tribalism and history just won't be the same. It won't even be close.

It will be like watching a pre season friendly or whatever that they play during the summer in far flung corners of the world.

It will be poo and it won't last. Foreigners like watching the premier league because of the atmosphere and the crowds. It makes it what it is.

The super league will feel fake and fabricated because that's what it is.

That atmosphere is for the fans like us who enjoy watching our teams in person, we are the ones that really notice it when it isn't apparent. The clubs will find a way of more effectively piping atmosphere into the TV screens to make it seem more realistic if the plastic fans that fill the seats don't do a good enough job.

I doubt the fans watching on TV in far flung places around the globe care as much about the atmosphere as we do.

13 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Sounds like worst of both worlds happens then if PL bottle it and allow them to do it, to retain brand. UCL the sacrifice.

Other than the closed shop though with 10 games guaranteed there isn’t much difference to the new proposal.

The closed shop is pretty significant - finish halfway down the league (as Arsenal now are becoming accustomed to funnily enough) but don't worry as you will always be in the European elite so will always be able to attract the best players.

That and the huge wads of money that JP Morgan are throwing at these clubs. 

Leicester win the Premier League or Sampdoria win Serie A and these big clubs decide whether to let them into their party.

Joke.

9 minutes ago, Jim said:

But the bigger picture is the loss of revenue for other clubs because no one wants to pay for sky sports to watch Burnley v Fulham and with the football pyramid it also means clubs further down the league doesn't get much help ...if you think they don't get any help now wait till this happens.

I don't mind the PL as it is you have the big six who are always going to be in the mix with the outside chance of someone like Leicester or even West Ham as we have seen this year.

Its a disaster for football. 

Seems to me the whole plan seems to be to get better viewing figures globally, whilst ditching the grassroots connections.

I'm sure it will be possible for them to increases revenues as US franchises do very, very well re basketball and American football and to be honest soccer has more worldwide appeal than either. It has the feel of Judas taking the thirty pieces of silver, and football being betrayed for the sake of the selfish few. If they want to go, let them and let them play each other to death but under no circumstances ought they be involved with the rest of the football world. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That atmosphere is for the fans like us who enjoy watching our teams in person, we are the ones that really notice it when it isn't apparent. The clubs will find a way of more effectively piping atmosphere into the TV screens to make it seem more realistic if the plastic fans that fill the seats don't do a good enough job.

I doubt the fans watching on TV in far flung places around the globe care as much about the atmosphere as we do.

But the passion of the fans when goals are scored is what makes football different to every other sport.

Without that passion  it's soulless and sterile. 

I guess we will see.

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Let them make their little club

With no international football for their players and only 12 teams taking part, their project would very, very quickly end up being a busted flush.

Another 3 have already agreed to come on board according to the press.

That's 15.

You would think that Morgan Stanley a huge banking empire would have spotted the problem with the maths here?

13 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Even so, they cannot force FIFA to backtrack on a clear breach of long established rules.

Also, there is the possibility that the remaining clubs might in future decide to boycott any involvement with the 12 clubs of the ESL. The courts could not prevent that either.

If the 12 can form their own league, then the remaining clubs can choose never to platy them again and form their own leagues/competitions which specifically exclude them (exactly as the 12 have done to the remaining football world).

Genuinely don't see any legal argument whatsoever that can force the 12 to be allowed to remain in the FIFA/UEFA controlled competitions or leagues. Compensation maybe, but being forced to allow them to play?

The U.S. DOJ has been targeting FIFA for years - not just over fraud and corruption - but on antitrust issues too.

Nothing would attract an antitrust law suit quicker than FIFA banning an ESL player from a World Cup. 

Legally, my money is firmly on the ESL here. 

• Like 2

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

14 minutes ago, Jim said:

As I've said previously, I feel for the true traditional fans of these clubs that don't want this but have no voice at all.

The highlighted bit is possibly the best thing that could happen from this but how likely is it to happen? How likely when push comes to shove are the money making Premier League likely to wave goodbye to their biggest money makers? Great if it was to happen (at the due expense of the traditional fans of the big clubs as above) but I can't see it.