Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

So you would be happy to beat the likes of Peterborough, Bradford and Doncaster, season after season?  You want to see your club play at the highest level as possible.

The highest level possible doesn't include these clubs any more though.

So who cares about them?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGaffer said:

Apologies I should have said former player.

Yeah, so nobody actually in the game making money from a big 6 club has said this yet.

Do you think the likes of Werner signed for Chelsea because they thought Frank Lampard was the best manager to advance their careers?

8 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I'm playing devils advocate here based on almost zero knowledge of cricket, but is there a stronger case for individual cricketers being entitled to follow the money moreso than in football? As an example, would playing in India vs county be the difference between being a full time cricketer who can retire based on their sporting career, or still needing to work after their cricket career ends?

Nobody involved in this ESL needs more money. Some of the might argue they need more money to pay the wages to the players they want to attract, but that's a symptom of a problem they've backed themselves into. Kevin De Bruyne does not need £400k per week and Manchester City do not need to break away from the rest of the game to afford to pay it. 

Good point.

Yes there is a case for cricketers to follow the money (and they do, as with the IPL... I used Jonny Baiirstow as the example) and squads have always accommodated losing players to the the England squad anyway. The case of the IPL is a compromise for player and club and, so far, it works well.

Top players could easily be playing 12 month seasons so approved absences are accepted and part and parcel of the game.

And your other point about cricketers' wages... I don't have any figures but I would guess that De Bruyne is on at least 10x what England Captain Joe Root earns.

Cricket clubs, whilst still businesses, are owned by the members who quite often have their feet on the ground and are able to reel in any "misadventures" at the AGM!

1 minute ago, vulva said:

All about who blinks first. If the Premier stand by their guns and ban clubs and players from domestic competitions etc, this will die a quick death. 

Not sure it will.

Legally there is still nothing to prevent the 12 going ahead with a completely breakaway version of the game. The question is will the sponsors and punters wear it?

1 minute ago, scram said:

TBH i might be on my own here but i'm really glad a hand grenade has been chucked into the abomination that has been the governance of football at all levels for many years

It has needed a shake up, FIFA is a corrupt organisation all about increasing personal wealth of its members. The FA have bee useless since I can remember 

But is this the answer

2 minutes ago, scram said:

TBH i might be on my own here but i'm really glad a hand grenade has been chucked into the abomination that has been the governance of football at all levels for many years

It could lead to a shake up that will make football competition better but as Vulva says....

1 minute ago, vulva said:

All about who blinks first. If the Premier stand by their guns and ban clubs and players from domestic competitions etc, this will die a quick death. 

It depends who blinks first. Will the PL stick to their guns and kick them out or will they succumb to the fact that their own money making organisation need these clubs to maximise profit and so bow down & find a compromise that ultimately leads to these clubs getting even stronger.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yeah, so nobody actually in the game making money from a big 6 club has said this yet.

Do you think the likes of Werner signed for Chelsea because they thought Frank Lampard was the best manager to advance their careers?

What's your obsession with Werner at Chelsea? Probably not no. I do think though given that option and not playing for his country or choosing another team and playing for his country he'd pick the latter

Ultimately money (as always) will be the deciding factor.

Integrity, history and the rules of the how the game and it's competitions are run and by whom, are merely minor bit players in all this.

Just now, TheGaffer said:

What's your obsession with Werner at Chelsea? Probably not no. I do think though given that option and not playing for his country or choosing another team and playing for his country he'd pick the latter

You previously mentioned that him and Havertz may well choose to run down their contracts and play for an organisation outside the Super League. I very much doubt it as their decision will be financially based, as it was to move to Chelsea in the first place. 

13 hours ago, Sticky Micky said:

The players will be quids in, they won't care 

Majority of players couldnt care less about playing for their country 

I think a lot of them care about professional pride. They wont like not being able to be properly compared to other players on the international level: look at how much international goals mean to Christiano Ronaldo.