Sacking Garry Monk cost us our Championship status

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There I said it. And I was Monk’s biggest critic. 

I’m not saying we would be comfortable but we wouldn’t be this cut adrift I’m sure of it. We backed him in the summer with a number of signings and we let him bring in his own backroom staff. Then as soon as a few bad results happened - we hit the panic button and sacked him.

Reality is this squad is not very good. The chairman has put us in two situations during the past two transfer windows. An embargo which meant we were scrapping around for free transfers under Bruce. And a points deduction which means nobody of any quality wanted to join the inevitable slog for survival. The result? An absolute mess of a squad which is simply not up to it. 

Monk was probably our best chance of surviving it purely based on the fact we recruited for his formation and he had a whole pre season to work with the players. This season we needed stability. Instead we’ve had four different managers and the players look completely confused and bereft of any confidence at this stage.

The chairman has absolutely destroyed us this season with the points deduction, chopping and changing managers and not paying the players on time. A perfect storm for an absolute shambles of a season.

It was appointing him that cost us. 

He won something like 3 games in his last 30 in charge... do you think he was just about to hit a good spell? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, vulva said:

Pulis isn’t daft. He took one look, realised he’d been sold a pup, and engineered a way out. You can’t blame him tbf. 

Many refuse to believe it because of the whole "boyhood club" crap they were sold, but I'm pretty certain this is what happened with Bruce as well.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Manwë said:

Short termism has cost us everything.

Having four managers in a single season is what other clubs do, and that we laugh at for the madness and instability of it.

We've become that club.

Seasons not over yet mate #fiveup :Chansiri:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, vulva said:

Appointing Monk cost us our Championship status. The squad he put together was ridiculously unbalanced.  

Given how the club conducted its transfers before Monk arrived, and after Monk was sacked, it's difficult to single him out as the culprit for our ridiculously unbalanced squad.

• Like 5

Sacking Tony Pulis has cost us our championship status. He had a tough start but it’s not how you start it’s where you finished and if anybody we have appointed this season could have sorted out this mess it was him by a country mile,

Edited by TrueOwl
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Points are won or lost on the pitch. 

Bruce had stopped the rot quite quickly. Monk then ruined the squad. Froze out senior players. Refused to play youth or academy sourced players. He released players who commanded relatively small wages and attempted replaceming them with higher earners with less ability. 

Everyone knew that goal scoring was going to be our biggest problem. Yet monk did nothing to fix this. Letting atdhe go at this stage was criminal. 

Monk is an awful manager. He was given ample time and opportunity to at least have the team show some signs of a base or foundation to the squad. The longer he spent with us the more disjointed and unbalanced we became. 

Yeah the freezing out of senior players really cost us big time. Thankfully they are back now and we are doing miles better.

Also the only youth or academy players which are actually worth anything are Shaw and Urhoghide. It was Monk who brought them both into the first team and gave them their first start. 

8 hours ago, GMOwl72 said:

You don’t have to spend a fortune to get decent players or put a decent team together. Look at Barnsley. You just need to know why you are doing!

We are very good at finding very average players and paying them a kings ransom!

Barnsley didn't have a 12 point deduction or a chairman who doesn't pay his players on time.

Bad gas travels fast in a small town.

25 minutes ago, TrueOwl said:

Sacking Tony Pulis has cost us our championship status. He had a tough start but it’s not how you start it’s where you finished and if anybody we have appointed this season could have sorted out this mess it was him by a country mile,

The players hated him and were never going to work for him. He wasn't going to be backed in the transfer window so he'd have never had the chance to sort it out

Guest whowantstoberich
9 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There I said it. And I was Monk’s biggest critic. 

I’m not saying we would be comfortable but we wouldn’t be this cut adrift I’m sure of it. We backed him in the summer with a number of signings and we let him bring in his own backroom staff. Then as soon as a few bad results happened - we hit the panic button and sacked him.

Reality is this squad is not very good. The chairman has put us in two situations during the past two transfer windows. An embargo which meant we were scrapping around for free transfers under Bruce. And a points deduction which means nobody of any quality wanted to join the inevitable slog for survival. The result? An absolute mess of a squad which is simply not up to it. 

Monk was probably our best chance of surviving it purely based on the fact we recruited for his formation and he had a whole pre season to work with the players. This season we needed stability. Instead we’ve had four different managers and the players look completely confused and bereft of any confidence at this stage.

The chairman has absolutely destroyed us this season with the points deduction, chopping and changing managers and not paying the players on time. A perfect storm for an absolute shambles of a season.

NO

Hiring Monk, cost us our championship status

They have been a mixed bag of managers that’s for sure, but if you replace good players, with inferior ones, poo will happen. Maybe that should be, replace average players, with inferior players, but the point remains the same. When that is compounded by failing to replace key parts of the jigsaw, the result is an unbalanced mess. Make no mistake, recruitment is what has cost us, not average managers

5 hours ago, NIOwl said:

It was appointing him that cost us. 

He won something like 3 games in his last 30 in charge... do you think he was just about to hit a good spell? 

We won 3 out of his last 10 games in charge so the 20 games before that must have been terrible.

Without a doubt, and I mean 100%, we'd be in a better position today under Monk than we currently are.   

How much is debatable, but I think several points ahead and with a much better chance of staying up than we have right now.

Not only that, we'd be several £M up (or less down) because of the sheer cost of the Monk staff hiring and sacking a few weeks later (probably), Pulis sacking compensation (probably), and the cost of Moore hiring compensation (probably).   I'm 50/50 as to whether Moore will be sacked/walk by the start of next season, to whatever cost.  Of course, during this, there's been next to nothing for recruitment on the field.

It's clear to anyone that the recruitment process at SWFC is an absolute shambles, signing players who haven't been without a club for months and immediately injured, and we also know that from Chansiri's own mouth that he has a recruitment team who recommends players to Chansiri.   Monk may or may not have had the final say, but the decision about who appears to be made not by the manager.

So, despite all that, Monk got us 1.1ppg  (IIRC) despite Chansiri.  We'll look back at his period of complete interference from above while under a transfer embargo (but able to sign utter poo ), a points deduction and turmoil with a more reasoned thought one day.  

The disaster wasn't Monk, the disaster was Pulis, but the ultimate disaster is Chansiri.  

• Like 1

Monk had a good squad for the second half of last season, and only Hull collected fewer points.

His recruitment was absolutely shocking so how on earth you think he would have done better  with a weaker squad coupled with a points deduction is beyond reason. Shocking manager.

• Like 1