Sacking Garry Monk cost us our Championship status

23 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I think that for most Chairmen in the EFL the 5-0 surrender at Brentford away last season would have been and should have been Monk's last day in charge.

It was truly truly pitiful.

And it would have been Dawsons last game as first choice keeper in a Championship side.

It’s all hindsight. 

This owner has made blunder after blunder. The list is monumental. 

All we actually truly really know is there is a VERY realistic chance we may cease to exist as a club if Chansiri remains here. We’re at the desperation stage now of needing a new owner. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A lot of issues with this post.

Monk wanted to keep both Fletcher and Fox. Two important players. We offered them deals on reduced wages - that is outside of Monk’s remit so he shouldn’t be blamed for that.

At the time I think everyone agreed it was time for FF to move on. Don’t think he was putting the work in anymore. 

Nuhiu I don’t think wanted to stay. He was keen to move abroad. 

Lee and Winnall I would have 100% offered new deals too for sure. They were mistakes.

As for replacing the above players. Monks hands were tied from the off. He was trying to convince players to join on a -12 point deduction. Not an easy sell. Plus you can only sign within the budget you have! It’s quite clear we have no money to spend so we were trying to do a complete overhaul of the squad on the cheap. Both of these things not Monk’s fault!

Plus Monk identifies positions that he needs and the recruitment team offer suggestions. It’s quite clear our recruitment team are awful and without little money to spend - he was on to a downer straight away.

I am pretty sure Fletcher ended up signing for Stoke on less money than he was with us. 

For a guy that had been saying for 18 months how much he loved the fans, the club etc seems a strange one that the manager wanted to build the team around him and he could get gone quick enough.  Fessi got slagged off for not playing the last games but neither did fletcher or fox.

Monk may have had his hands tied financially but he brought in midfielder after midfielder and called them attackers and surprise surprise we scored no goals, he paid £1m for Windass and Patinson we could have got a striker for less. He has also wasted the best part of £2m on Brown, Flint and Marriott all players that have barely played. The problem is very clear to see we have not score enough goals. When we concede a goal we have no one to score a goal., 

This problem lies with two men the bloke paying the team and the bloke finding the players to be in it. For me Monk should have tried harder to get strikers in, why no premiership youth loans, other teams use that market we instead pay silly wages for unfit, older players then don't actually play them when they are fit.

Yes DC is the ultimate to blame but Monk did something to that squad we may never find out, to be a team in 3rd pushing for the play off the be the then fighting to stay in the league 23 games later and many of those under performing players are still here helping the club ultimately get relegated. Then come the summer they will leave, leaving other to sort the mess they created.

Had monk still be in the same mess we are currently in but the chairman would have saved a few quid on all the extra coaches he has had to pay off.

What does anyone expect when Fox , F F ,Fletcher ,Hooper , Joao ,Lee , Nuhiu etc all left , Hutch and Westwood not played , Iofa , Odubajo , Luongo ,Dunkley all injured and all replaced by players of much lesser quality . Theres only one way to go and its not up whoever is in charge .

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I am pretty sure Fletcher ended up signing for Stoke on less money than he was with us. 

For a guy that had been saying for 18 months how much he loved the fans, the club etc seems a strange one that the manager wanted to build the team around him and he could get gone quick enough.  Fessi got slagged off for not playing the last games but neither did fletcher or fox.

Monk may have had his hands tied financially but he brought in midfielder after midfielder and called them attackers and surprise surprise we scored no goals, he paid £1m for Windass and Patinson we could have got a striker for less. He has also wasted the best part of £2m on Brown, Flint and Marriott all players that have barely played. The problem is very clear to see we have not score enough goals. When we concede a goal we have no one to score a goal., 

This problem lies with two men the bloke paying the team and the bloke finding the players to be in it. For me Monk should have tried harder to get strikers in, why no premiership youth loans, other teams use that market we instead pay silly wages for unfit, older players then don't actually play them when they are fit.

Yes DC is the ultimate to blame but Monk did something to that squad we may never find out, to be a team in 3rd pushing for the play off the be the then fighting to stay in the league 23 games later and many of those under performing players are still here helping the club ultimately get relegated. Then come the summer they will leave, leaving other to sort the mess they created.

Had monk still be in the same mess we are currently in but the chairman would have saved a few quid on all the extra coaches he has had to pay off.

Monk wanted to keep both Fletcher and Fox. You can’t blame him for that or the terms we offered them. Completely out his hands.

3rd at Christmas and then the first leak of players wages not being paid on time comes out. We plummet down the league. Cynic in me suggests this is no coincidence? 

On the striker issue - you really think Paterson, Marriott and Kachunga were Monk’s first choice? More a case of - ‘look we can afford these three and they’re willing to come. Take them or leave them’. This is what Pulis alluded too when he was in charge. And it’s also what Carlos went on record as saying when he was manager.

Recruitment is too blame and I’m very skeptical of the influence the manager actually has in that side of things. Remember Hutchinson and Green joined in January when we didn’t even have a bloody manager! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Marro said:

I think we would have gone down with Monk.  

Perhaps getting rid of Stuart Gray is in hindsight Chansiri’s biggest mistake?

Monks record in 2020 was horrendous, he had to go. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Agreed. I think we should have sacked him last season. 

But we recruited for his formation and let him bring in his own coaching team - only to sack him a few months later.

I think looking back now at how everything that’s gone on... it was probably worth just sticking with him rather than going through three different managers and paying them off. Where has that got us? 

good point as always

On 18/03/2021 at 15:04, 83owl said:

We won 3 out of his last 10 games in charge so the 20 games before that must have been terrible.

They were.  Counting only league games, he won 6 games in his last 30 in charge.