Sacking Garry Monk cost us our Championship status

13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There I said it. And I was Monk’s biggest critic. 

I’m not saying we would be comfortable but we wouldn’t be this cut adrift I’m sure of it. We backed him in the summer with a number of signings and we let him bring in his own backroom staff. Then as soon as a few bad results happened - we hit the panic button and sacked him.

Reality is this squad is not very good. The chairman has put us in two situations during the past two transfer windows. An embargo which meant we were scrapping around for free transfers under Bruce. And a points deduction which means nobody of any quality wanted to join the inevitable slog for survival. The result? An absolute mess of a squad which is simply not up to it. 

Monk was probably our best chance of surviving it purely based on the fact we recruited for his formation and he had a whole pre season to work with the players. This season we needed stability. Instead we’ve had four different managers and the players look completely confused and bereft of any confidence at this stage.

The chairman has absolutely destroyed us this season with the points deduction, chopping and changing managers and not paying the players on time. A perfect storm for an absolute shambles of a season.

But he would have kept playing Wildsmith or Dawson so I cannot see how we would be better off.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

Appointing him in the first place was his biggest mistake. The warning signs were there last season. 3rd at christmas, finished 16th. Shambolic

How is it that monk gets the criticism for finishing 16th but not the praise for us getting up to 3rd? 

The squad is crap, it was slightly less crap last season but still crap and overly reliant on fletcher. We finished 16th and 8 points clear of the drop.

We won’t even finish within 8 points of 22nd this season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I am convinced had Bruce stayed last year we would have made at least the playoffs 

Yeah playoffs minimum. Probably automatic places I imagine.

The squad is full of quality players all recruited with reason and part of a stable environment to work in.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There I said it. And I was Monk’s biggest critic. 

I’m not saying we would be comfortable but we wouldn’t be this cut adrift I’m sure of it. We backed him in the summer with a number of signings and we let him bring in his own backroom staff. Then as soon as a few bad results happened - we hit the panic button and sacked him.

Reality is this squad is not very good. The chairman has put us in two situations during the past two transfer windows. An embargo which meant we were scrapping around for free transfers under Bruce. And a points deduction which means nobody of any quality wanted to join the inevitable slog for survival. The result? An absolute mess of a squad which is simply not up to it. 

Monk was probably our best chance of surviving it purely based on the fact we recruited for his formation and he had a whole pre season to work with the players. This season we needed stability. Instead we’ve had four different managers and the players look completely confused and bereft of any confidence at this stage.

The chairman has absolutely destroyed us this season with the points deduction, chopping and changing managers and not paying the players on time. A perfect storm for an absolute shambles of a season.

I think Monks signings have led to this tbf...and mixed that with Chansiri and his elephants then you get one outcome 👋👋

Sacking Monk made zero sense when you look at how the season has panned out.

All we’ve done is pay off two managers and their backroom staff and paid Doncaster six figures to take Darren Moore and his backroom staff to end up even worse than we were when we sacked Monk in the first place.

lol

17 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Foolish. KEEPING Monk last summer cost us our Championship status.

It was a mistake to keep Monk on last summer. It was also a mistake to fire him  mid season unless we had a better replacement lined up. Pulis may be very professional but is very old fashioned and defensive and seemed to think he would be able to recruit new players in January..but he wasn't. But another key period is more recent when McCarthy, Pearson and Bowyer were appointed by others while  w e went for a cheaper option with first of all Neil Thompson and now  this nice guy but rookie from Doncaster.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Sacking Monk made zero sense when you look at how the season has panned out.

All we’ve done is pay off two managers and their backroom staff and paid Doncaster six figures to take Darren Moore and his backroom staff to end up even worse than we were when we sacked Monk in the first place.

lol

Monk got sacked for not agreeing we could get promoted this season 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Monk got sacked for not agreeing we could get promoted this season 

Which makes it even funnier.

We sacked Monk. Employed Pulis. Didn’t back him. Sacked Pulis. Gave it Thompson for a couple of months. Paid six figures for Moore. And sit 9 points clear from safety. In a worse position than when we sacked Monk in the first place. 

You couldn’t write it. 

16 minutes ago, 83owl said:

How is it that monk gets the criticism for finishing 16th but not the praise for us getting up to 3rd? 

The squad is crap, it was slightly less crap last season but still crap and overly reliant on fletcher. We finished 16th and 8 points clear of the drop.

We won’t even finish within 8 points of 22nd this season.

We were third but only something bizarre like 3 points off 12th. The whole ‘3rd at xmas’ headline was overcooked

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'll never forget the look on old Monks dial when Channers said top 2 was the aim

image.png.e62f6f1e619dac803e17f50184cb146e.png

He’s wondering if the sh!t will be visible when he stands up......”please god don’t let it have soaked through......”

Edited by Morepork
  • Haha 1