Sacking Garry Monk cost us our Championship status

2 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Not sure about Monk but Pulis would have bored us to safety by now.

Only if he was backed. I think when it became apparent to Pulis the chairman had no money to spend - he wanted out.

Pulis couldn’t bore us to death without a left back, a midfield shitehouse or a proper centre forward. 

• Like 2

Same outcome but more prolonged IMO.

The disaster was keeping Monk, I feel like he sold DC a vision of surviving on the cheap, somehow without strikers.......and DC being the fool he is, was only too willing to buy into that.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

Sorry can’t agree with that. If you think carefully about it you’ll realise the opposite is true.

Appointing him was the blunder that’s led to the downward spiral that’s leading to the loss of Championship status. He took over a team that was steadily improving under Bruce.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Monk should have either gone attend of last season or been given all this season.

Seemed a bit daft giving him all his backroom staff in the end and then giving him the elbow a few weeks later.

Not sure if we would have stopped up but probably would has a slightly better chance, could have used all pay off money for Monk,Pulis and rest of backroom staff on a couple of loan players in January.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There I said it. And I was Monk’s biggest critic. 

I’m not saying we would be comfortable but we wouldn’t be this cut adrift I’m sure of it. We backed him in the summer with a number of signings and we let him bring in his own backroom staff. Then as soon as a few bad results happened - we hit the panic button and sacked him.

Reality is this squad is not very good. The chairman has put us in two situations during the past two transfer windows. An embargo which meant we were scrapping around for free transfers under Bruce. And a points deduction which means nobody of any quality wanted to join the inevitable slog for survival. The result? An absolute mess of a squad which is simply not up to it. 

Monk was probably our best chance of surviving it purely based on the fact we recruited for his formation and he had a whole pre season to work with the players. This season we needed stability. Instead we’ve had four different managers and the players look completely confused and bereft of any confidence at this stage.

The chairman has absolutely destroyed us this season with the points deduction, chopping and changing managers and not paying the players on time. A perfect storm for an absolute shambles of a season.

Correct .

• Thanks 1

The cost of not backing Pulis will be huge compared to the cost of League 1 football.

Pulis isn’t daft. He took one look, realised he’d been sold a pup, and engineered a way out. You can’t blame him tbf. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

For the record I would have sacked Monk back end of last season.

But to have him in charge for the summer recruitment and to let him bring in his own coaching team THEN to sack him a couple months later was so stupid.

Should have been given longer considering the backing we gave him in the summer. It’s now very very apparent that whoever is in charge at the club has an almighty job on their hand. Still think Monk was best placed to keep us up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Pulis lost heart really early on I think. He gave in before some of the players if you ask me. 

For me Pulis just realised (with his experience) what a useless w*nker Chansiri was, knew he couldn't work with him, and engineered his own escape.

Edited by Owl Be Back
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Short termism has cost us everything.

Having four managers in a single season is what other clubs do, and that we laugh at for the madness and instability of it.

We've become that club.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Sorry can’t agree with that. If you think carefully about it you’ll realise the opposite is true.

Appointing him was the blunder that’s led to the downward spiral that’s leading to the loss of Championship status. He took over a team that was steadily improving under Bruce.

Absolute rubbish

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Blatter said:

I am convinced had Bruce stayed last year we would have made at least the playoffs 

• Haha 4

Guest Therealrealist
13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There I said it. And I was Monk’s biggest critic. 

I’m not saying we would be comfortable but we wouldn’t be this cut adrift I’m sure of it. We backed him in the summer with a number of signings and we let him bring in his own backroom staff. Then as soon as a few bad results happened - we hit the panic button and sacked him.

Reality is this squad is not very good. The chairman has put us in two situations during the past two transfer windows. An embargo which meant we were scrapping around for free transfers under Bruce. And a points deduction which means nobody of any quality wanted to join the inevitable slog for survival. The result? An absolute mess of a squad which is simply not up to it. 

Monk was probably our best chance of surviving it purely based on the fact we recruited for his formation and he had a whole pre season to work with the players. This season we needed stability. Instead we’ve had four different managers and the players look completely confused and bereft of any confidence at this stage.

The chairman has absolutely destroyed us this season with the points deduction, chopping and changing managers and not paying the players on time. A perfect storm for an absolute shambles of a season.

I said it ages ago