Sacking Garry Monk cost us our Championship status

2 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Westwood and Hutchinson have been back in the squad for over 3 months now. We’re still crap, in fact we’re worse than we’ve ever been.

And we're even worse when theyre not in the side (certainly in relation to KW anyway). 

Westwood just missed 4 games, we shipped 3, 3, 2 and 3!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There I said it. And I was Monk’s biggest critic. 

I’m not saying we would be comfortable but we wouldn’t be this cut adrift I’m sure of it. We backed him in the summer with a number of signings and we let him bring in his own backroom staff. Then as soon as a few bad results happened - we hit the panic button and sacked him.

Reality is this squad is not very good. The chairman has put us in two situations during the past two transfer windows. An embargo which meant we were scrapping around for free transfers under Bruce. And a points deduction which means nobody of any quality wanted to join the inevitable slog for survival. The result? An absolute mess of a squad which is simply not up to it. 

Monk was probably our best chance of surviving it purely based on the fact we recruited for his formation and he had a whole pre season to work with the players. This season we needed stability. Instead we’ve had four different managers and the players look completely confused and bereft of any confidence at this stage.

The chairman has absolutely destroyed us this season with the points deduction, chopping and changing managers and not paying the players on time. A perfect storm for an absolute shambles of a season.

You've got a lot of criticism for this and I think Monk was a complete charlatan.

But....

I know what you mean.

Would we have bumbled along and made it to about 18th? Maybe maybe not.

36 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

And we're even worse when theyre not in the side (certainly in relation to KW anyway). 

Westwood just missed 4 games, we shipped 3, 3, 2 and 3!

Yes that’s why we need a new number 1. Westwood was dropped last season, both Dawson and Wildsmith have had game time but not taken their chances and are still making the same mistakes. Westwood is too injury prone and his wages are far too high for a championship keeper never mind one in L1.

4 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Yes that’s why we need a new number 1. Westwood was dropped last season, both Dawson and Wildsmith have had game time but not taken their chances and are still making the same mistakes. Westwood is too injury prone and his wages are far too high for a championship keeper never mind one in L1.

On the face of it I agree. If Dawson or Wildsmith were good enough to be number 1 going forward, they would have taken the chances when Westwood was bombed out and they didn't. 

Regarding wages, I personally have no idea what Westwood would be looking for with his next deal with any club, what I can assume though is it wont be anywhere near what he's currently on, both due to age and injury record. 

1 hour ago, Nero said:

You've got a lot of criticism for this and I think Monk was a complete charlatan.

But....

I know what you mean.

Would we have bumbled along and made it to about 18th? Maybe maybe not.

I highly doubt we’d be 9 points from safety and 2nd from bottom if Monk was still in charge.

We’d be in a relegation fight for sure. But this far cut adrift? Just can’t see it.

The fact of the matter is we are now worse off under Moore than we ever were under Monk. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, vulva said:

Appointing Monk cost us our Championship status. The squad he put together was ridiculously unbalanced.  

Except he didn't put said squad together,it comprised signings from CC,Bully,Jos,SB, as well as those signed whilst GM was here...(not necessarily' his'' players)  have a look at those given squad numbers this season,whilst your at it,wheres the 'bounce' from having WW and 'Hutch' back in the first team?....

Edited by parajack
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Monk had a good squad for the second half of last season, and only Hull collected fewer points.

His recruitment was absolutely shocking so how on earth you think he would have done better  with a weaker squad coupled with a points deduction is beyond reason. Shocking manager.

GM recruitment was shocking??  ....pretty sure others allegedly do the recruiting...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pinky said:

This. 1 million percent.

Really,what a pity GM didnt put the squad together eh? have a look at those given a shirt number this Year,than come back and repost if you still think GM put the squad together....

2 hours ago, modboy said:

brentford away last season should have been the final straw for Monk.

That day was horrendous

I agree, and even if DC didn't want to get rid then he surely should have done in the summer instead of backing him with players and coaches. Waste of money and now we're truly paying the price for this and other poor decisions made by DC.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, markowl said:

lol

Let's change the manager again shall we?

Not the point I’m making is it.

What I’m saying is rather than going to the hassle of sacking one manager and his team, hiring a new manager and his team, sacking new manager and his team, hiring new manager and his team - not to mention the costs associated. ALL in one season. Perhaps we should have just stuck with the first manager in the first place?

Got nothing to show from the sacking of Monk at all.

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

And I don't believe for a moment he had no input.

Sure he did,told them what type of player he wanted,if you think he had an input,do you seriously think he said'dont bother with a striker'? (or 3) 

18 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There I said it. And I was Monk’s biggest critic. 

I’m not saying we would be comfortable but we wouldn’t be this cut adrift I’m sure of it. We backed him in the summer with a number of signings and we let him bring in his own backroom staff. Then as soon as a few bad results happened - we hit the panic button and sacked him.

Reality is this squad is not very good. The chairman has put us in two situations during the past two transfer windows. An embargo which meant we were scrapping around for free transfers under Bruce. And a points deduction which means nobody of any quality wanted to join the inevitable slog for survival. The result? An absolute mess of a squad which is simply not up to it. 

Monk was probably our best chance of surviving it purely based on the fact we recruited for his formation and he had a whole pre season to work with the players. This season we needed stability. Instead we’ve had four different managers and the players look completely confused and bereft of any confidence at this stage.

The chairman has absolutely destroyed us this season with the points deduction, chopping and changing managers and not paying the players on time. A perfect storm for an absolute shambles of a season.

No Monk led to our demise he was a yes man who replace quality with rubbish

We got rid of Fletcher, Nuihu,  Fessi and Murphy (on loan) and replace them with midfielders who didn't score goals, Patinson is a lump that occasionally gets on the end of a goal, Windass is so inconsistent. Kachunga is stealing a wage for how bad he is. The rest of his signing are either not playing or crocks.

No Monk will have a lot to answer for when we finally review this season but not signing any proven striker in the summer will ultimately be the reason we are relegated the lack of goals. 

As has been seen in the last few games when you play Rhodes you have a lot more of a goal threat in his last 2 games he has scored on and set up one that more than some of our midfielders have achieve in the last 10 games.

10 minutes ago, room0035 said:

No Monk led to our demise he was a yes man who replace quality with rubbish

We got rid of Fletcher, Nuihu,  Fessi and Murphy (on loan) and replace them with midfielders who didn't score goals, Patinson is a lump that occasionally gets on the end of a goal, Windass is so inconsistent. Kachunga is stealing a wage for how bad he is. The rest of his signing are either not playing or crocks.

No Monk will have a lot to answer for when we finally review this season but not signing any proven striker in the summer will ultimately be the reason we are relegated the lack of goals. 

As has been seen in the last few games when you play Rhodes you have a lot more of a goal threat in his last 2 games he has scored on and set up one that more than some of our midfielders have achieve in the last 10 games.

A lot of issues with this post.

Monk wanted to keep both Fletcher and Fox. Two important players. We offered them deals on reduced wages - that is outside of Monk’s remit so he shouldn’t be blamed for that.

At the time I think everyone agreed it was time for FF to move on. Don’t think he was putting the work in anymore. 

Nuhiu I don’t think wanted to stay. He was keen to move abroad. 

Lee and Winnall I would have 100% offered new deals too for sure. They were mistakes.

As for replacing the above players. Monks hands were tied from the off. He was trying to convince players to join on a -12 point deduction. Not an easy sell. Plus you can only sign within the budget you have! It’s quite clear we have no money to spend so we were trying to do a complete overhaul of the squad on the cheap. Both of these things not Monk’s fault!

Plus Monk identifies positions that he needs and the recruitment team offer suggestions. It’s quite clear our recruitment team are awful and without little money to spend - he was on to a downer straight away.