Sacking Garry Monk cost us our Championship status

10 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There I said it. And I was Monk’s biggest critic. 

I’m not saying we would be comfortable but we wouldn’t be this cut adrift I’m sure of it. We backed him in the summer with a number of signings and we let him bring in his own backroom staff. Then as soon as a few bad results happened - we hit the panic button and sacked him.

Reality is this squad is not very good. The chairman has put us in two situations during the past two transfer windows. An embargo which meant we were scrapping around for free transfers under Bruce. And a points deduction which means nobody of any quality wanted to join the inevitable slog for survival. The result? An absolute mess of a squad which is simply not up to it. 

Monk was probably our best chance of surviving it purely based on the fact we recruited for his formation and he had a whole pre season to work with the players. This season we needed stability. Instead we’ve had four different managers and the players look completely confused and bereft of any confidence at this stage.

The chairman has absolutely destroyed us this season with the points deduction, chopping and changing managers and not paying the players on time. A perfect storm for an absolute shambles of a season.

*hiring Monk

11 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

I’m far from convinced that Monk would have kept us up, but changing managers as regularly as we have done this season is just a recipe for disaster - as it is now proving 

9 managers in 6 years, 8 since Carvahal  left, hasn't helped, all with differing ideas, formulas and 'styles'.

The players brains must be like Porridge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Sacking Monk made zero sense when you look at how the season has panned out.

All we’ve done is pay off two managers and their backroom staff and paid Doncaster six figures to take Darren Moore and his backroom staff to end up even worse than we were when we sacked Monk in the first place.

lol

Everybody has 20:20 hindsight don't they...

If we'd kept Monk, we wouldn't be any better off, grinding out a 1-0 win in his last home match, only his second home win in almost a year, didn't change the fact that his tactics, performances and most importantly results were absolutely abysmal.

He should have gone after Brentford last year, when the fans really turned on him for the first time. Lockdown saved him. Every chance that if we'd made the change then and results had improved, we'd have had the 12 point deduction applied last season when it meant nothing, we'd have started this season without a deduction meaning it was easier to attract better players and we wouldn't have had the pressure of being adrift in the relegation zone all season. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

If we'd kept Monk, we wouldn't be any better off, grinding out a 1-0 win in his last home match, only his second home win in almost a year, didn't change the fact that his tactics, performances and most importantly results were absolutely abysmal.

He should have gone after Brentford last year, when the fans really turned on him for the first time. Lockdown saved him. Every chance that if we'd made the change then and results had improved, we'd have had the 12 point deduction applied last season when it meant nothing, we'd have started this season without a deduction meaning it was easier to attract better players and we wouldn't have had the pressure of being adrift in the relegation zone all season. 

EFL reduces the deduction to 6. Had they applied that to last season we would still have been safe from relegation and been free to start this season without one. 

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

It's all if's and but's.

With this group of players, we know they are capable, but 9 different coaches/managers could not mould them in to an efficient TEAM.

Just now, 83owl said:

EFL reduces the deduction to 6. Had they applied that to last season we would still have been safe from relegation and been free to start this season without one. 

Took months though to get those 6 back. If we'd actually started the season on -6 instead of -12 it may still have made a big difference mentally.

But my point was that if we'd have even an average record towards the end of last season instead of carrying on with Monk and extending his godawful run, we'd have had enough points on the board to take the 12 point hit without it relegating us and started this season with a clean slate. 

11 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

There I said it. And I was Monk’s biggest critic. 

I’m not saying we would be comfortable but we wouldn’t be this cut adrift I’m sure of it. We backed him in the summer with a number of signings and we let him bring in his own backroom staff. Then as soon as a few bad results happened - we hit the panic button and sacked him.

Reality is this squad is not very good. The chairman has put us in two situations during the past two transfer windows. An embargo which meant we were scrapping around for free transfers under Bruce. And a points deduction which means nobody of any quality wanted to join the inevitable slog for survival. The result? An absolute mess of a squad which is simply not up to it. 

Monk was probably our best chance of surviving it purely based on the fact we recruited for his formation and he had a whole pre season to work with the players. This season we needed stability. Instead we’ve had four different managers and the players look completely confused and bereft of any confidence at this stage.

The chairman has absolutely destroyed us this season with the points deduction, chopping and changing managers and not paying the players on time. A perfect storm for an absolute shambles of a season.

Here he is - Captain Hindsight.

How can anyone take you seriously when, by your own admission, you were Monk's biggest critic, but now you're saying he shouldn't have been sacked?

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

Our form under any recent manager is only a symptom of the disease we have.

This team has needed investment and player turnover for years. It hasn’t had it. All we’ve done is replace potent strikers with budget alternatives and traded a few squad-fillers.

Was never gonna be enough.

10 minutes ago, markowl said:

How can anyone take you seriously when, by your own admission, you were Monk's biggest critic, but now you're saying he shouldn't have been sacked?

I'm not going to lie, this thought did cross my mind lol

Suppose our views on football change over time.

Despite some bang average managers, it’s player recruitment, or failure to recruit, that is sending us down. Not having a left back, or more importantly, a centre forward, has meant that every side we put out doesn’t look right. To a certain extent, we could possibly have gotten away with the left back issue, but a target man was integral to the way all four managers wanted to play. It was criminal that we didn’t recruit one in the summer, especially as, not only had we cleared out Fletcher and Nuhiu, we had also discarded our development strikers. Nevertheless, with the points penalty reduction, we had a chance to redeem ourselves during the January window, when we were still in touch, with plenty of games yet to play. We did nothing though, that’s when Chansiri finally blew it, and that’s why it’s hard to feel sorry for him. Whichever manager was in charge, all would have struggled with the lack of balance in the side. Some coaches might have overcome that, Pep regularly does, Wilder did, and Carlos probably would have, but more old school managers, like the ones we employ, are dependent on a target man

• Like 2

It makes for a fun discussion but these threads don’t really give much insight. God knows where we would have been if Monk has stayed, or indeed if he had gone earlier. At the end of the day our players are utter crap and not competitive in this league. That’s the big problem. Everything else is a sideshow. 

At the time I wanted us to persevere with Monk. Events since have not changed my mind.

The club structure, culture and recruitment has been, and is, shambolic.

I now want to see Moore given a fair crack at rebuilding after significant dismantling of the current squad in the summer.

Oh and get rid of that apology of a recruitment team.

We don't need to go over same ground as to why we are heading to League 1.

However... keeping Monk for so long has been one of the main issues. The form from Boxing Day 2019 to his sacking was an absolute disgrace, only just scraping survival and unable to take a points deduction hit. The squad Monk then built to challenge this season, he was confident he will deliver a "team to be proud of" at Hillsborough if he is given the time to implement his philosophy. Monk had plenty of time and ended up building a team we can all be ashamed of truthfully.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. 

1 hour ago, markowl said:

What you on about? 

The post was made in hindsight. I thought Monk was doing a bad job but as the season has gone on it’s been made very clear that whoever is in charge had a huge task in keeping this side up.

I’m admitting I was calling it wrong on Monk. Are we not allowed to reflect and change over opinions now?

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

I'm not going to lie, this thought did cross my mind lol

Suppose our views on football change over time.

Of course they do. I’m not claiming to be right all the time.

Looking back I called Monk’s sacking wrong. I don’t think he was great and it would have been a struggle but I think in hindsight he was our best chance of stopping up. 

Such a weird response from both you and @markowl

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

What you on about? 

The post was made in hindsight. I thought Monk was doing a bad job but as the season has gone on it’s been made very clear that whoever is in charge had a huge task in keeping this side up.

I’m admitting I was calling it wrong on Monk. Are we not allowed to reflect and change over opinions now?

Maybe don't moan constantly on here if you're going to do an about turn a few months later.

It's as plain as day what the issues are at this club, and it sure as hell isn't any of the managers we've had this season.

The sooner the old guard are shipped out the better.

Just now, markowl said:

Maybe don't moan constantly on here if you're going to do an about turn a few months later.

It's as plain as day what the issues are at this club, and it sure as hell isn't any of the managers we've had this season.

The sooner the old guard are shipped out the better.

Bizarre. It’s almost as if football fans aren’t fickle and emotional in their views.

I thought Monk was doing a bad job. On reflection it was a really hard job and we’ve got worse since his sacking.

But I shouldn’t post this because @markowl doesn’t like it and can’t take me seriously. 

lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Of course they do. I’m not claiming to be right all the time.

Looking back I called Monk’s sacking wrong. I don’t think he was great and it would have been a struggle but I think in hindsight he was our best chance of stopping up. 

Such a weird response from both you and @markowl

So basically you're saying you're going to change your mind constantly to suit your argument.

Reyt.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Bizarre. It’s almost as if football fans aren’t fickle and emotional in their views.

I thought Monk was doing a bad job. On reflection it was a really hard job and we’ve got worse since his sacking.

But I shouldn’t post this because @markowl doesn’t like it and can’t take me seriously. 

lol

You're right.

I don't take you seriously.