Owls boss on who will be SWFC goalkeeper moving forward

Guest mrbluesky

As said previously, we need a complete overhaul in this department, I would get rid of all 3, unfortunately that's not going to happen, Wildsmith & Dawson are under way too much pressure because previous managers refused to play Westwood, then only to be brought back, then fans groaning and fault-finding (on repeat) with all 3.

Added to this, Westwood's fitness is getting more and more questionable.    

I would still pick Westwood for the remainder of the season though, the defence always plays better with him in the net. If you don't have confidence in the man between the stocks it affects the way you play, makes players more jittery and aware that a mistake could be really costly. If relegation happens and Westwood does leave it's essential we pick up another solid 'keeper, younger maybe, but possibly one from a premier league team who's not getting a look in, or maybe get scouting around Europe for the next Peter Schmichael (not sure about that spelling...is there another e)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

A brand new goalkeeper walking through the front door would be a big lift to our squad

The Swindon keeper looks handy and full of himself,bit like KW...

Forgot his name...

But if needs must Wildsmith all day long,just be more vocal lad SCREAM at em!!!UTO

5 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

The Swindon keeper looks handy and full of himself,bit like KW...

Forgot his name...

But if needs must Wildsmith all day long,just be more vocal lad SCREAM at em!!!UTO

And sort the hair out, barbers will be open soon.

lol

Interesting. If Westwood goes in the summer I think we will then need 2 keepers.

Jordan Archer is out of contract at the end of the season. He’s a L1/lower end of the Championship keeper, he’s a decent age and his wages would be much lower than Westwood. 

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I used to rate both of the keepers Dawson and Wildsmith and thought they would turn into good goalkeepers at this level.

Unfortunately and not through fault of there own i dont think they have been badly managed coached and treated and they have regressed to the point where i think moving them both on would be a good thing.

Whether Westwood stays or goes in the summer we know he cant be relied upon for 50 games a season so another keeper has to be recruited in the summer. Its a priority. To be successful you need a mixture of things but 2 things you cant be successful without are a good keeper and a good striker.

Think Jos and Monk ruined them. Both brought them in when we were in freefall as a club and they were under pressure immediately. 

• Like 2

I'd try and sell Wildsmith and Dawson over the summer and then use the wages saved to get a new keeper and have Jackson and Render? as backup.

If we couldn't find another keeper sign Westwood up for another season from the wages saved by selling Wildsmith and Dawson. Not sure he would play in League One though.

• Like 2

If Westwood’s leaving as seems likely then I think we need a new keeper for next season.

Neither Wildsmith and Dawson are up to it and are a massive reason why we are staring relegation to league 1 straight in the face.

Neither would improve in League 1. Just get shut of them both. Awful keepers.

Would either keeper benefit / prosper from a new Goalkeeping coach  - how long has Weaver been here with both keepers seemingly regressing ??

Matches should improve (or shatter in our case) their confidence,  but improvement doesn't just come from playing games does it ?.

good as, Westie is, or more accurately, as good as Westie has been for us, and that's great, given his injury record over the last 18 months, he has been, for longer and ,onger periods, like it or not , totally USELESS for mich of the time. If he cannot or will not plat=y,, he needs replacing. We cannot get by without a decent Keeper for 50% of the season.

• Like 1