Owls boss on who will be SWFC goalkeeper moving forward

"The slate is wiped clean for everyone.

I’ve got be consistent with my message... Westy has been injured, but he’s back on the grass and he’s training. He’s going to be competing for that spot, he’s got plenty of experience and will be looking to be competing with Joe. He’s back on the grass and we’ll see how the days go.

The days are becoming shorter where Westwood will be competing for his position.

He has got a wonderful amount of experience.

Joe is in there and doing very well"

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Yeah it looks like Westwoods time is up here, unfortunately. However it’s another considerable chunk off the wage bill for next season.

Despite how bad Dawson was last season, I’d actually be tempted to bring him back because he’s a much better shot stopper than Wildsmith. 

Tricky one though because the relationship between a keeper and the centre backs is crucial, so it could come down to who is more commanding and better at organising, although there doesn’t seem to be much difference. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I still think he looks better than last time he had a spell in goal though to be fair to him

I used to rate both of the keepers Dawson and Wildsmith and thought they would turn into good goalkeepers at this level.

Unfortunately and not through fault of there own i dont think they have been badly managed coached and treated and they have regressed to the point where i think moving them both on would be a good thing.

Whether Westwood stays or goes in the summer we know he cant be relied upon for 50 games a season so another keeper has to be recruited in the summer. Its a priority. To be successful you need a mixture of things but 2 things you cant be successful without are a good keeper and a good striker.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I used to rate both of the keepers Dawson and Wildsmith and thought they would turn into good goalkeepers at this level.

Unfortunately and not through fault of there own i dont think they have been badly managed coached and treated and they have regressed to the point where i think moving them both on would be a good thing.

Whether Westwood stays or goes in the summer we know he cant be relied upon for 50 games a season so another keeper has to be recruited in the summer. Its a priority. To be successful you need a mixture of things but 2 things you cant be successful without are a good keeper and a good striker.

A brand new goalkeeper walking through the front door would be a big lift to our squad

• Like 7

Owlstalk Shop

At his age Westwood’s next contract will almost certainly be his last contract so he’s going to have to take whichever club offers him the most money. That might be us but probably won’t be. His reputation is probably good enough to get a contract in the Championship. Wildsmith and Dawson haven’t been able to push on and eliminate their catastrophic errors from their game so we need a new body between the sticks. I’m guessing we won’t get one though, with so many outfield players needed recruitment is going to be a rough ride. I’m thinking Wildsmith as starting keeper next year. Him and Dawson are both 25 so might, just might mature a bit more in the coming years to not be a liability. 

• Like 2

We've needed a new keeper for 3 years.

We have one injury prone, play when it suits,  snowflake on Premier League wages, and two supposedly young keepers pushing 30 that haven't progressed in the last 5 years.

Time for them all to move on