An Opinion from Inside Football

58 minutes ago, heppers said:

I spoke to someone recently who works in football. We were talking about the game in general and we got on to Wednesday. 

In general he talked about top club ex CEO’s just creaming the game for what they can. The view is the bubble has to burst so they are milking it in the short term. Outside of what we see on the pitch sounds obscene and dangerous. Bordering on organised crime.

Some Wednesday snippets.

We have had 2 managers with direct links to agents and only sign their players. One recent manager even has shares in his managing agency and effectively earns money signing players through them. The game is wise to this now and he may struggle to find work.

Pulis was brought in as an honest man. He would sign who he saw fit rather than who he earned from. Things soured quickly.

A strong influence at the club is Bannan. He talks direct to DC. Apparently we approached a high profile ex player for the managers job on the back of Bannan’s recommendation. 

DC is astonishingly well intentioned. He is an excellent businessman in his own environment. However, the world of western football lacks trust and morals and he has been a victim of this. 

I wish I had asked more but I didn’t want to push. Nothing we don’t already know but I thought it was interesting to hear.

36 minutes ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

Or Loovens maybe?

Loovens would be my guess, you would think it has to be someone BB has played with at the club, and i am pretty sure it is not Marco Matias

to the OP very interesting post, although sad about the level of greed

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

I like Glenn,  but what would qualify him to be a “high profile” ex player compared to ex players who are not so high profile?  

Yes a high profile ex player would usually refer to the likes of Keane, Terry,  Vieira etc. Not so much a Wednesday player with their massive reputation in the world....  Depends if the OP meant an ex (owl) player or just an ex (football) player.  Needs some clarification 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I hate football because of all the greed within the sport with agents etc 

And I didn’t think it was possible for chansiri to go even further down in my expectations but if this is true about him trusting people in business then I’m flabbergasted 

The mans completely beyond hope 

1 hour ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Very interesting, there’s plenty there that I didn’t know about. If true that’s appalling that we’ve had a manager who has had a financial interest in an agent business that we’ve then bought players through. 

Also reassuring that DC is an honest man. He’s obviously made plenty of mistakes, but I’d love to see it come good for him at our club.

Wasn't Monk accused of this at Middlesbrough, wasn't there an investigation and it came to nothing or is it still ongoing?

Is this is the person they are talking about or is it Mr Sage?

Edited by daleblue
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, horny owl said:

I hate football because of all the greed within the sport with agents etc 

And I didn’t think it was possible for chansiri to go even further down in my expectations but if this is true about him trusting people in business then I’m flabbergasted 

The mans completely beyond hope 

Agreed...Mr Chansiri’s pants have been round his ankles more times than a Union Street brass. I’m afraid honesty, morals and honour are not the watch words of business (especially the football business). And, if he is such a highly ethical owner,  how come he doesn’t stick to the rules governing financial fair play in the EFL. For one so honest and honourable he has dragged the Wednesday name through the mud (allegedly).

• Like 4

The agent thing needs to be looked at.  From the fans point of view they seem just nothing more than a poison.  I agree that players need representatives but they just seem to be blatantly taking the clubs to the cleaners. 

The contracts for the most part will be off the peg ones yet agents charge thousands for commision  for doing little work certainly not enough to justify the prices they charge.

38 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Signings like Emmanuelson reek of that kind of manager agent racket 

Oh yeah.

We were clearly parking the fella as some sort of favour to him and his agent.

Dodgy as fizz.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

I did allude to this in a previous thread. Makes more sense than Bazza still taking corners.

You never know.

I'd imagine most of those senior players exert a lot of influence, even those who found themselves banished on a few occasions.

Big personalities are fine as long as they are exerting their influence for the benefit of the club and not just their own.

Problem with having these cliques is they can be pretty ruthless when they decide someone is not up to it, particularly managers.

Seems like they all like Thommo though so we are good for now. Be interesting to see what happened if he got the gig permanently.

Unfortunately, this sort of culture will usually flow from the top. 

If Chansiri is this honourable man as the op was told, then he's clearly an honourable fool who is very easily taken advantage of.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, heppers said:

DC is astonishingly well intentioned. He is an excellent businessman in his own environment. However, the world of western football lacks trust and morals and he has been a victim of this. 

Well intentioned to me, isn't bloated claims of £350m spent, it isn't accusing the fans (customers) at every turn. either, it is owning mistakes through action, which means removal of those still leaching the clubs resources.

Excellent businessmen don't file accounts nearly 2 years late, have such a high turnover of senior/board level staff and smash the connection between the club and the fans in the way he has. He makes Gerald Ratner look like the king of PR. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Agreed...Mr Chansiri’s pants have been round his ankles more times than a Union Street brass. I’m afraid honesty, morals and honour are not the watch words of business (especially the football business). And, if he is such a highly ethical owner,  how come he doesn’t stick to the rules governing financial fair play in the EFL. For one so honest and honourable he has dragged the Wednesday name through the mud (allegedly).

What's a Union Street Brass? Is that a reference to a Plymouth Pro? Never heard that term.

2 hours ago, heppers said:

I spoke to someone recently who works in football. We were talking about the game in general and we got on to Wednesday. 

In general he talked about top club ex CEO’s just creaming the game for what they can. The view is the bubble has to burst so they are milking it in the short term. Outside of what we see on the pitch sounds obscene and dangerous. Bordering on organised crime.

Some Wednesday snippets.

We have had 2 managers with direct links to agents and only sign their players. One recent manager even has shares in his managing agency and effectively earns money signing players through them. The game is wise to this now and he may struggle to find work.

Pulis was brought in as an honest man. He would sign who he saw fit rather than who he earned from. Things soured quickly.

A strong influence at the club is Bannan. He talks direct to DC. Apparently we approached a high profile ex player for the managers job on the back of Bannan’s recommendation. 

I wish I had asked more but I didn’t want to push. Nothing we don’t already know but I thought it was interesting to hear.

So Bannan is picking the team, and has recommended Steve Fletcher as player manager?

• Haha 4

I've never doubted DC is well intentioned, I can well believe he is a good businessman in his own country, he's also put a lot of money into the club although I do question the £350m claim.

I supported DC until recently but became disillusioned because he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. He is or appears to be badly advised, if you continually get advice and take it then you need to look at the results it produces. If you do well, you can assume you are well advised, if you do poorly then the opposite assumption should be drawn. DC doesn't seem to have done this.

This failure to learn is inexcusable, ok it's his money to lose but it's also our club, not legally but we have a lot of time and love investred in it and we all care what happens to it.

As far as managers go, it's obvious we need to get through to the end of the season and retain our Championship status. Thompson is doing well,  if that continues he will keep the job until we can have a rethink in summer. If things go pear shaped I suggest DC approach Pearson, cap in hand if need be and ask him to save us until the end of this season. A big bonus for doing so obviously needed and maybe DC going public with a statement saying he's asked Pearson to save us and no blame should attach to Pearson if the task proves impossible. I could suggest the same approach to Megson but I doubt he would take it with DC in charge. Pearson might if it's made clear he is helping us out in our hour of need despite his not really wanting the job.

If we are still a Champiuonship club we need a complete rethink in the summer. DC needs to learn from the past and find a Director of Football, Chief Executive or manager with cast iron integrity and proven ability to replace his current advisors. DC then needs to let him take charge of restructuring the club from top to bottom. We need a mixture of bargain players of ability and experience like when we found Westwood, Loovens and Bannan together with young players with potential and resale value.  It might be a long haul but with the right people in charge and steady improvement I think the fans will get behind the team, the management and DC.

The idea of bringing back an ex Wednesday player will be popular with fans but I have reservations. I think the idea of it being a player who has played with some of our current squad is fraught with danger. It will take a special character  to disregard previous friendships when dealing with players, if he does so his friends might take exception to it. Either way there will always be a chance that players he hasn't worked with previously will feel such favouritism exists. From worker to manager is a difficult transition, trying to do it when doing so withing the existing group is very very difficult. In business it  is rarely successful.

It's easier for a player from years ago to take on the managers job but are there any we really want, Pearson maybe, Megon has his fan club but his football is certainly not attractive, Di Canio, only if you are insane, are there any others who have done well as managers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1