An Opinion from Inside Football

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thing is if he has no advisor he'll just get...... another advisor

True. So are you of the assumption that all advisors are bad?

Personally I think we need a CEO and a director of football.

The Spurs board meet and discuss the business. They don’t discuss the team or games at all at board meetings. That makes sense to me.

The business needs a CEO and the football side needs someone to do the best within a given budget.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, heppers said:

True. So are you of the assumption that all advisors are bad? 

No not at all

I'm sure ones that are absolute experts, who know the clubs needs inside out, who dont' have any self interest and who can demonstrate growth and improvement month on month year on year are totally brilliant to have around and worth every penny

I do know that if I had an advisor who's advice I took and where my business eroded away, failed, sank and declined month on month year on year - then I'd struggle to justify them still being my advisor

UNLESS of course I had an advisor but didn't listen to a blind word he said and I just made my own decisions anyway against his advice - in which case I'd struggle to justify them being my advisor

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, heppers said:

Yes. That is true. The fact he is open to advice and loyal are perhaps good traits.

However, he needs the common sense and business sense to know it’s not working.

He needs to make that change.

Problem is he won’t make that change. He’s 6 years in now and hasn’t made that change. 

He employed a CEO but I can’t list one thing she did at the club. She wasn’t given much control it seems. Hardly faced the media or gave statements. She left just over a year in.

This is what you get with DC and he won’t change it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ANDY said:

Wasn’t katriene’s roll as a CEO??

id love to know the reasoning behind her leaving. 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Problem is he won’t make that change. He’s 6 years in now and hasn’t made that change. 

He employed a CEO but I can’t list one thing she did at the club. She wasn’t given much control it seems. Hardly faced the media or gave statements. She left just over a year in.

This is what you get with DC and he won’t change it. 

seems we were both thinking along the same lines 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I do have sympathy with the fact he’s been badly advised, and wouldn’t be adverse to continuing with that model.

But I don’t have confidence in our ability to find that person 

The adviser model is pretty good for short term aims when you have a bit of money to spend in my opinion. Lean on agents who are well connected to get you quality players. Sure they probably get some kind of cut but if they can help bring quality in great. As you saw with us - it so nearly worked. And as you saw with Wolves.

However when you’ve not got a pot to pee in and are skint, I don’t see the point of sticking with the consultancy model. Put a proper football structure in place with people working for Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield Wednesday only. Improve the scouting system, invest in our youth and make sure they’re tied down as assets, sell players when they have value - run it like a business, look to the lower leagues for potential. Get an experienced CEO on board and a DOF to help run the day to day. Employees of the club who’s first thought when they make a decision is whether it’s going to benefit the club. Put the foundations in place for the club to be successful.

To me it seems DC is hanging on to a dream of promotion and thinks he can still achieve it short term. Problem is it’s been almost 6 years since Wembley. He’s chasing a dream that is further away than it’s ever been. We simply don’t have the money, resources or personnel to make this possible. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Very interesting, there’s plenty there that I didn’t know about. If true that’s appalling that we’ve had a manager who has had a financial interest in an agent business that we’ve then bought players through. 

Also reassuring that DC is an honest man. He’s obviously made plenty of mistakes, but I’d love to see it come good for him at our club.

Could understand DC being upset about a manager who earns money signing players he has an interest in. Can't blame him for being reluctant to spend in his eyes probably wonders how much has been skimmed off him.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

No not at all

I'm sure ones that are absolute experts, who know the clubs needs inside out, who dont' have any self interest and who can demonstrate growth and improvement month on month year on year are totally brilliant to have around and worth every penny

I do know that if I had an advisor who's advice I took and where my business eroded away, failed, sank and declined month on month year on year - then I'd struggle to justify them still being my advisor

UNLESS of course I had an advisor but didn't listen to a blind word he said and I just made my own decisions anyway against his advice - in which case I'd struggle to justify them being my advisor

Or there was another reason why the adviser was still in situ even despite the failings he has advised on. Maybe the interests of 3rd parties are involved.....who knows??

40 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

One of his first actions was to bring him in out of the cold

Then he realised how bad he was

The prolonged period of inactivity blunted his effectiveness, a bit like the scrubbers strikers,recall watching scotland one night and McBurnie missed two sitters and was truly awfull in and around the box

10 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

I’m guessing one of the managers you are referring to is Monk & his crony featherstone 

Word has it at Birmingham - he tried to force the hand of Jude Bellingham to sign with his agent or he wouldn’t play , as a result the lads dad exposed him 

Yep I agree was told by someone in the game , and also an agent when he arrived at Brum, keeper was called in on day one and told Switch agent to my man or your finished he refused and was dropped and had to train with the kids. 

3 hours ago, gbear05 said:

I don’t think we really question his intent. The problem is what happens as a result of his intent. 

forget his intent and look at his delivery/results 

- got the club a points deduction 

- charged the fans more than any other owner 

- got us a playing squad scrapping to stay in the division 

- sold out biggest asset and somehow made us worse in the process 

- repeatedly makes stupid mistakes and refuses to acknowledge his blame in them

- wasted money on players that never play or are useless 

- changed our badge

- gave us some of the worst kits I’ve ever seen, and then made them hard to buy anyway 

- created crackpot schemes to make money at the cost of doing things that actually work

i don’t care if the man has a heart of gold and his intent is for the club to big bigger than Barcelona...the point is he is completely incompetent and refuses to accept things need to change  

I would agree with all that.

However, what if he has just trusted the wrong person?

3 hours ago, McRightSide said:

One of his first actions was to bring him in out of the cold

Then he realised how bad he was

Winnall had 11 goals in the first half of the season in a poor side.

We bought him for £500k which seemed a bargain and rarely played him.

Bad apple syndrome.

• Like 1

Interesting thread, an ex manager who I know well has told me lots of stuff that has gone off in the game...he's said the English game is worse then Italy, people talk about this bubble going pop but when? It just seems to continue, new rules new ways to combat them , it's just full of greed this game now, money has ruined it not helped it but, but it also makes the football world go round too, what do you do? its a complete mess . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drewswfc said:

I've used brass as a reference to prostitutes for years, not sure where I picked it up from. Never lived outside sheffield . Always refered to saunas as "the brass house" never heard  the brass nail  cockney slang reference though

Where there’s muck there’s brass! 😂😂