An Opinion from Inside Football

1 minute ago, sternlad said:

‘Brass’ was a term used by Londoners particularly the Met when referring to ‘ladies of the night’. I just put the two together to avoid filtration.

I googled it & found the cockney rhyming slang link. Tail is a term they use for a pro, brassnail rhythms with tail, there brass becomes a term.

As an ex matelot, it's always good to hear  a  Navy reference. I'm gonna use it if my daughter goes out with too much slap on. 'You look like a Union Street Brass'. I won't use the underwear round ankles reference, though.

• Haha 1

Exceelnt post by Prowl in my view:

24 minutes ago, prowl said:

I've never doubted DC is well intentioned, I can well believe he is a good businessman in his own country, he's also put a lot of money into the club although I do question the £350m claim.

I supported DC until recently but became disillusioned because he keeps making the same mistakes over and over again. He is or appears to be badly advised, if you continually get advice and take it then you need to look at the results it produces. If you do well, you can assume you are well advised, if you do poorly then the opposite assumption should be drawn. DC doesn't seem to have done this.

This failure to learn is inexcusable, ok it's his money to lose but it's also our club, not legally but we have a lot of time and love investred in it and we all care what happens to it.

As far as managers go, it's obvious we need to get through to the end of the season and retain our Championship status. Thompson is doing well,  if that continues he will keep the job until we can have a rethink in summer. If things go pear shaped I suggest DC approach Pearson, cap in hand if need be and ask him to save us until the end of this season. A big bonus for doing so obviously needed and maybe DC going public with a statement saying he's asked Pearson to save us and no blame should attach to Pearson if the task proves impossible. I could suggest the same approach to Megson but I doubt he would take it with DC in charge. Pearson might if it's made clear he is helping us out in our hour of need despite his not really wanting the job.

If we are still a Champiuonship club we need a complete rethink in the summer. DC needs to learn from the past and find a Director of Football, Chief Executive or manager with cast iron integrity and proven ability to replace his current advisors. DC then needs to let him take charge of restructuring the club from top to bottom. We need a mixture of bargain players of ability and experience like when we found Westwood, Loovens and Bannan together with young players with potential and resale value.  It might be a long haul but with the right people in charge and steady improvement I think the fans will get behind the team, the management and DC.

The idea of bringing back an ex Wednesday player will be popular with fans but I have reservations. I think the idea of it being a player who has played with some of our current squad is fraught with danger. It will take a special character  to disregard previous friendships when dealing with players, if he does so his friends might take exception to it. Either way there will always be a chance that players he hasn't worked with previously will feel such favouritism exists. From worker to manager is a difficult transition, trying to do it when doing so withing the existing group is very very difficult. In business it  is rarely successful.

It's easier for a player from years ago to take on the managers job but are there any we really want, Pearson maybe, Megon has his fan club but his football is certainly not attractive, Di Canio, only if you are insane, are there any others who have done well as managers?

• Like 3

We lose too much money, at face value incompetently, for it to be just bad luck or unfortunate. I laughed at the notion that DC is a good businessman in his own right - where is the evidence of this?

Money seemed to flow through SWFC very easily, with no results; just increased debt which is now being shoveled away left right and center. Patterns seem to be forming.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Somebody said:

I googled it & found the cockney rhyming slang link. Tail is a term they use for a pro, brassnail rhythms with tail, there brass becomes a term.

As an ex matelot, it's always good to hear  a  Navy reference. I'm gonna use it if my daughter goes out with too much slap on. 'You look like a Union Street Brass'. I won't use the underwear round ankles reference, though.

Ha, that’s a bit harsh on your daughter! I didn’t know how it derived from the rhyming slang, I’d just heard people use it in London when I lived there, particularly Sgt Dave Boyd who worked at Holborn nick in the 80’s.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

So now we have Barry Bannan as king of the Mafia threatening other players lives with an Uzi if anyone tries to take a corner?

lol

Let’s face it, it’s been documented that Barry likes to go tittle tattling to DC. 
Again it’s like the managers son in an under 8s team who gets to take every free kick , corner and penalty.

Maybe others aren’t allowed to take corners. It makes more sense than Bazza competing with Darren Potter to be the worst corner taker in our history.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yes a high profile ex player would usually refer to the likes of Keane, Terry,  Vieira etc. Not so much a Wednesday player with their massive reputation in the world....  Depends if the OP meant an ex (owl) player or just an ex (football) player.  Needs some clarification 

Sorry, he said high profile ex player. I understood him to mean NOT a Wednesday player. I didn’t ask and he didn’t say but I assumed someone like Roy Keane.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, heppers said:

Sorry, he said high profile ex player. I understood him to mean NOT a Wednesday player. I didn’t ask and he didn’t say but I assumed someone like Roy Keane.

No worries I thought that sounded more likely than Loovens who hasn’t been heard or seen of since his time with us and that includes a stint at Sunderland 😄

Keane or Terry would be more understandable.  Guessing they weren’t interested in our advances 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, heppers said:

I agree. He did say that is why he lost his job “at the blues” whoever they might be.

It was just a general chat. Mostly about work but got on to football.

I’ve tried to be accurate in what he said.

To be fair to him he operates at a level above us mostly.

Anyway, I’ve got a trial for Man City on the back of it. I won’t celebrate if I score against Wednesday.

😂 you best get the old Adidas 2000 ‘S out lad. 

5 hours ago, heppers said:

I spoke to someone recently who works in football. We were talking about the game in general and we got on to Wednesday. 

In general he talked about top club ex CEO’s just creaming the game for what they can. The view is the bubble has to burst so they are milking it in the short term. Outside of what we see on the pitch sounds obscene and dangerous. Bordering on organised crime.

Some Wednesday snippets.

We have had 2 managers with direct links to agents and only sign their players. One recent manager even has shares in his managing agency and effectively earns money signing players through them. The game is wise to this now and he may struggle to find work.O

Pulis was brought in as an honest man. He would sign who he saw fit rather than who he earned from. Things soured quickly.

A strong influence at the club is Bannan. He talks direct to DC. Apparently we approached a high profile ex player for the managers job on the back of Bannan’s recommendation. 

DC is astonishingly well intentioned. He is an excellent businessman in his own environment. However, the world of western football lacks trust and morals and he has been a victim of this. 

I wish I had asked more but I didn’t want to push. Nothing we don’t already know but I thought it was interesting to hear.

A certain Portugese?, only speculating, as he is the only recent manager allowed to bring in any players.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

When was the last time we really bought players though?

Free transfers still cost the club.

we will still be paying agents fee’s on a free transfer and that can on most occasions be 2 agents. One for the player and one for the club.

now anyone who knows anything inside football with regards to transfers will tell you that you can have dual representation. That means that an agent can find a player for the club and then that player will be forced to use the same agent who is supposedly getting him the best deal. That means that the agent can charge twice.

Understand what I’m alluding to?

Simple really isn’t it. Said agent (friend of????) gets paid twice and friend gets a cut.

it’s rife in football sadly.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1