Players you thought would make it, but never did

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Used to watch a lot of the Wednesday reserve and youth games, and there have been hundreds who have appeared, and looked good, but never went on to do anything, either with us, or anyone else. One such player, who I was convinced would go on to good things, was midfielder Alex Higgins. He seemed to have everything as a young player, but really only managed a non league career Think he played one game for QPR

I was at the ground the day he signed for us (sponsoring Des Walkers shirt).

Chatting to his dad who went to the same school as me. His dad was as pleased as punch.

Saw his dad a few years later, he wouldn't talk about it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Scott Camm was a good prospect who faded.

Craig Shakespear should have gone on to better things.

Gavin Oliver had plenty about him.

David Ford looked England material until that fateful motor accident.

Bart Williams faded badly.

Ante Mirocevic  didn't look after himself.

Brian Woodhall Two goal hero of Elland Road, what went wrong there ? 

Went to school with Scott Camm, he was one of the very first batch at Lilleshall. So was a youngster very highly rated.

Later, occasionally spent some good nights with him as we shared some of the same mates, story was when Roland got injured, Ron asked Scot have you got pace Cammy? (Not sure who we were playing but their winger must have been quick) 

I'm no Greyhound Scott replied.

He didn't play in the upcoming match! 😅

He also tackled and  badly injured Francis when he was Player manager.

Needless to say he was never selected by Francis

(And yes, although he maybe wasn't quite good enough for our very good team back then, I do believe Mr Francis would be narrow minded enough to hold this against him).

Most memorable ones from our top flight days, that I can remember getting excited about was Ryan Jones and Ritchie Humphreys.

We've had plenty in recent years that I thought might break into the first team and do well but then seemingly disappeared. Most have already been mentioned, pretty sure there was many others too.

Wasn't there a youngster several years back with a Serbian type name that seemed decent but then vanished? Can't remember his name now though, probably wasn't even Serbian too or even several years ago... lol🙈

I'll always remember matt Hamshaw, had so much potential. Yes he had a good lower league career, but was never capable of reaching his full potential after his bad injury. 

The other was the lad  Nicholson around a similar time. 

He was it my memory serves my correct the England school boys captain and rated higher than the likes of Haslam, Hamshaw, bromby et,. 

• Like 2

I am sure he has already been mentioned but Steve Haslam.

Was a lot of feeling he was going to have a good career, captained an England youth team with Michael Owen in same side against Brazil.
But had no better thean a journeyman lower league player really. Bury, Hartlepool and Halifax.

Even when he was in his 30s he came across as as 17 year old kid making his way in the game then an established pro.

• Like 2