Players you thought would make it, but never did

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Used to watch a lot of the Wednesday reserve and youth games, and there have been hundreds who have appeared, and looked good, but never went on to do anything, either with us, or anyone else. One such player, who I was convinced would go on to good things, was midfielder Alex Higgins. He seemed to have everything as a young player, but really only managed a non league career Think he played one game for QPR

Agree about Alex Higgins , had a touch of Liam Brady about him as a young un................think he finished up playing League 2 at Boston ?

Tom Staniforth was a VERY promising centre half.

A couple of midfielders from a little while ago i remember were James Cottingham and Jack Bennett ?...........................both looked talented , but after a year in our academy under McCauley they both looked broken and playing out of position.

Andy Kiwomya..............................not sure we are allowed to talk about that one to this day.

2 hours ago, The Night-Owl said:

Wasn't there a youngster several years back with a Serbian type name that seemed decent but then vanished? Can't remember his name now though, probably wasn't even Serbian too or even several years ago... lol🙈

Rocky (and Leon) Lekaj? Norwegian but with Kosovan heritage, I think...

15 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Andy Kiwomya..............................not sure we are allowed to talk about that one to this day.

I'm going to regret asking but what happened there? (apart from signing the wrong brother!). From Wikipedia, he looks like he was a Wednesday youth player in the late 80s...

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah, carved out a decent career for himself over there, as a left back He’s currently available on the list of free agents

ended up playing alongside Kaka at Orlando I believe 

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

There were another two youngsters who followed him over there, a young left back, who I knew as Wraggy, and second lad whom I don’t recall

Dont know about them but for me it would be an ideal route to take for any young player if they've been released and what an adventure to have, and 18 they could still get in the university system 

Looks like Boden has created a great life for himself and is now coaching at college football (sorry soccer)

I knew James o'conner and Sean McAuley ended up out there and are making a decent name for themselves in the coaching world as well

Guest Hornsby
48 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Sergio Bus. Looked great in his first game, got a goal or two, got his own song, then turned to poo (or more likely got abandoned by our management). 

Not surprised when you read his account of bullying