The CM battle + Team for Wycombe

Surprise, Surprise. Get beat and its Pelupessy bashing time. 

Started the last 12 games in a row I think it is, must be doing something right. 

Maybe we should be pointing the finger at a left winger being played in Central midfield or the fact that Luongo is made of rich tea biscuits. Not the fact that a squad player has actually been one of our better players over the last two months.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

Any Championship Manager, whether it be full or caretaker, that loses to Wycombe, should resign on the spot.

Joking aside Hutch needs to be rested and Shaw needs to start, throw the kitchen sink at them, we might even go the full hog and start with the only ‘real’ striker we really have.

Lose this and while it’s not curtains, the fat lady really is limbering up for her appearance. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Animis said:

That sums SWFC up really - we needed to fetch in a central midfielder in the transfer window to cover Luongo and Shaw, and went for the cheap option; a player that hasn't played for yonks and needs a rest after 3 games.

'But at least he knows the club and can drop into the back 2/3' - another cheap option for our awful CH injury record.

It wasn’t addressed at all, Hutch is limited to CB role which he can do well but with the amount of games, will struggle.

Westwood

Lees.     Dunkley.    Urhogide

Harris.            Pelupessy.             Reach

Shaw.                    Bannan

Paterson.      Kachunga. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

You’d imagine Hutchinson will sit out Tuesday. Can’t be wise to play him so soon.

Shaw needs to come into CM.

Cant imagine Luongo anywhere near fit to start.

Why would you want Windass in? He’s very very average at best, and in shocking form.

I hope we see this:-

Westwood

Lees Dunkley Borner

Harris Shaw Bannan Joey Reach

Rhodes Paterson

I’d go with this but play Palmer in midfield ahead of Pelupessy.

Would start Hutchinson in the middle of defence over Dunkley but probably needs a rest after four games on the spin.

• Like 2

Pelupessy has to start if Luongo isn’t fit. He’s the only one that will do the dirty work in midfield. I’ve seen nothing to suggest Shaw should play instead of him. Shaws best performances have come at CB. 

Dont really understand the OP examples because I don’t think Millwall won the game because there midfield 3 were more physical. 

Shaw needs to play with Bannan drop Pelupessy, if Luongo isn't fit( massive miss) then we need to create chances Reach is not the answer, so we have to give Brown ago. We seem more concerned about the opposition than ourselves, we cant play the same as Saturday because Wycombe will just steam roll us. We cant carry on with this tactic of always been on the edge and slightly riding our luck, we need to find a way of sustaining attacks and not feed of scraps because that tactic is doom to failure in the long term. Any team that has a defence who are consistently under pressure and a attack who are isolated cant expect to be successful 

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Surprise, Surprise. Get beat and its Pelupessy bashing time. 

Started the last 12 games in a row I think it is, must be doing something right. 

Maybe we should be pointing the finger at a left winger being played in Central midfield or the fact that Luongo is made of rich tea biscuits. Not the fact that a squad player has actually been one of our better players over the last two months.

So people aren't allowed to think that he's a very poor footballer and say so?

But they are allowed to criticise Reach and/or Luongo?

Is that reyt or have I missed summat?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Animis said:

That sums SWFC up really - we needed to fetch in a central midfielder in the transfer window to cover Luongo and Shaw, and went for the cheap option; a player that hasn't played for yonks and needs a rest after 3 games.

'But at least he knows the club and can drop into the back 2/3' - another cheap option for our awful CH injury record.

We also went for the cheap option in the summer by giving Pelupessy a new 1 year contract, when there are loads of better midfielders in league 1 we could have gone for.

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

We also went for the cheap option in the summer by giving Pelupessy a new 1 year contract, when there are loads of better midfielders in league 1 we could have gone for.

Shirtfillers mate..we did well to get Hector and look how that turned out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al98 said:

There's no surprise that our last 4 games have come down to the midfield battle. 

We lose to a Coventry team fielding their first choice midfield. Which is quality to say the least with Hamer, Sheaf and Matty James.

We then beat a Preston team who had 1 of their CMs in Alan Brown at RB. Sold Bean Pearson to Bournemouth the day before and had to bench Daniel Johnson. So an entire substitute midfield 3 of Ledson, Whiteman and Molumby. All of which are fairly weak in terms of physicality. 

We then play a Bournemouth team who have 3 defensive midfielders sat on the bench in Billing, Lerma and Pearson. And for some reason they start with a very attacking midfield 3 of Stanislas a winger, Cook a CAM and a box to box in Wilshere. Once again nothing physicality wise what so ever. 

We then come up against Millwall, known for physicality, who fielded a very strong midfield 3 of Kieftenbald, Leonard and Ryan Woods. 

Coincidence? No. The Midfield battle seems to determine our games every week and its vital that we win this battle against Wycombe. 

Based on that, this is how I would line up on Tuesday night:

GK - Westwood

CB - Urhoghide 

CB - Lees

CB - Dunkley

RWB - Harris

CM - Hutchinson 

CM - Pelupessy 

CM - Bannan

LWB - Reach 

ST - Windass 

ST - Patterson 

Two defensive midfielders at home against Wycombe

Get out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S72 Owl said:

Pelupessy has to start if Luongo isn’t fit. He’s the only one that will do the dirty work in midfield. I’ve seen nothing to suggest Shaw should play instead of him. Shaws best performances have come at CB. 

Dont really understand the OP examples because I don’t think Millwall won the game because there midfield 3 were more physical. 

No they haven’t - he was awful against Derby and should have cost us the game time after time 

He’s far better in midfield 

Westwood

Palmer Lees Hutchinson Dunkley Reach

Bannan Shaw Dele-Bashiru

Paterson Kachunga

Can’t have Reach and Bannan in the same midfield, too lightweight and not strong enough. Fairly inexperienced but both Shaw and Dele-Bashiru offer more of a presence. We need players up to the physical battle against these type of teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bleeder said:

So people aren't allowed to think that he's a very poor footballer and say so?

But they are allowed to criticise Reach and/or Luongo?

Is that reyt or have I missed summat?

No course they can, but maybe mix it up a bit. 

The reason every time we lose isn't because Pelupessy played.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

You’d imagine Hutchinson will sit out Tuesday. Can’t be wise to play him so soon.

Shaw needs to come into CM.

Cant imagine Luongo anywhere near fit to start.

Why would you want Windass in? He’s very very average at best, and in shocking form.

I hope we see this:-

Westwood

Lees Dunkley Borner

Harris Shaw Bannan Joey Reach

Rhodes Paterson

2 hours ago, NewquayOwl said:

Westwood

Lees.     Dunkley.    Urhogide

Harris.            Pelupessy.             Reach

Shaw.                    Bannan

Paterson.      Kachunga. 

Either one of these work for me.  Both line-ups have Harris and Reach starting in their correct positions, which should help us get crosses into the box.  With that in mind I would probably favour Rhodes alongside Paterson, although don’t think Kachunga has done too badly and offers more energy.

Once Luongo is fit he replaces Pelupessy, but I would avoid the temptation to play Hutchinson in midfield.  I think he offers more as part of a back 3 but can’t start every game there.

• Like 1