The CM battle + Team for Wycombe

4 hours ago, Joe Jockstrap said:

Any Championship Manager, whether it be full or caretaker, that loses to Wycombe, should resign on the spot.

Joking aside Hutch needs to be rested and Shaw needs to start, throw the kitchen sink at them, we might even go the full hog and start with the only ‘real’ striker we really have.

Lose this and while it’s not curtains, the fat lady really is limbering up for her appearance. 

Yup.

Don't normally go with the must win game cliche. 

But this has to be one of them.

Midfield has been our problem for a while. Excellent analysis in the OP. I presume Luongo will be injured on Tuesday, so I’m going with:

..........................Westwood

..............Lees.......Hutch........Urgy

....Harris....Shaw...Joey....Bannan...Penney

....................Patto........Kowerbunga

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jamie_W said:

Of course we went for the cheap option, we had no choice.

He's also been mostly excellent since he came back and justified his return. Not sure he's the one to really be targetting as a problem.

You're also basing your mini rant off the suggestion he needs a rest after three games from 'SwellOwl', has anyone at the club said he needs a rest? Or are you just running with the idea because SwellOwl said so? This is how stupid rumours start.

With respect I have no idea about our financial situation, and neither have you. What I do know, is we failed to strengthen a position we are desperately in need of, and went for Hutch, a player we released to the beach in Malta in the Summer. Should we go down as a direct result of this, I feel DC et al will regret their decision.

In terms of Hutch's fitness, I was clearly responding to swell owl in my 'rant'. However, it isn't a surprise that he may well need a rest - he hasn't played for months. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OwlerIT said:

If you watch Pelup closely he often just chases the ball out wide and doesn’t follow his runners leaving gaping holes in central mid and our CBS exposed.

Also when we are under the cosh he hardly ever pushes out quick enough and stands in the back three again leaving large gaping holes in central mid.

this can be coached into him but it’s not as though he is 21 and learning his trade.

He just doesn’t read the game very well

good spot and i cant believe that jos ,bruce, monk, puilis and now thompson havnt the nous to agree with you .....

9 hours ago, Al98 said:

There's no surprise that our last 4 games have come down to the midfield battle. 

We lose to a Coventry team fielding their first choice midfield. Which is quality to say the least with Hamer, Sheaf and Matty James.

We then beat a Preston team who had 1 of their CMs in Alan Brown at RB. Sold Bean Pearson to Bournemouth the day before and had to bench Daniel Johnson. So an entire substitute midfield 3 of Ledson, Whiteman and Molumby. All of which are fairly weak in terms of physicality. 

We then play a Bournemouth team who have 3 defensive midfielders sat on the bench in Billing, Lerma and Pearson. And for some reason they start with a very attacking midfield 3 of Stanislas a winger, Cook a CAM and a box to box in Wilshere. Once again nothing physicality wise what so ever. 

We then come up against Millwall, known for physicality, who fielded a very strong midfield 3 of Kieftenbald, Leonard and Ryan Woods. 

Coincidence? No. The Midfield battle seems to determine our games every week and its vital that we win this battle against Wycombe. 

Based on that, this is how I would line up on Tuesday night:

GK - Westwood

CB - Urhoghide 

CB - Lees

CB - Dunkley

RWB - Harris

CM - Hutchinson 

CM - Pelupessy 

CM - Bannan

LWB - Reach 

ST - Windass 

ST - Patterson 

Shaw for Pelupessy otherwise I agree.

2 hours ago, Jamie_W said:

Of course we went for the cheap option, we had no choice.

He's also been mostly excellent since he came back and justified his return. Not sure he's the one to really be targetting as a problem.

You're also basing your mini rant off the suggestion he needs a rest after three games from 'SwellOwl', has anyone at the club said he needs a rest? Or are you just running with the idea because SwellOwl said so? This is how stupid rumours start.

‘SwellOwl’ says believe that Hutchinson needs a rest, poor lad. 

If the game is a battle, Reach is the last person if want playing.

Pelupessy just gets beat by players too often.

I'd go Hutchinson, Bannan and Shaw in the middle.

I'd also change the back 3 around.

Dunkley Lees Borner

Lees cant pass the ball and all he does is play aimless channel balls so play him in the center!

Wycombe played 4-3-3 in getting hammered at home at the weekend against Forest's 4-2-3-1

I know NT will stick with three at the back but I'd go

Westwood

palmer urgohide dunkley galvin

Shaw      Bannan

Kachunga   Patterson  Green

Rhodes 

"Millwall were allowed to play".

"We were below the level required".

How many times have we heard that over the last 6 years?.

Do not think that tommorrow's game v Wycombe is a gimme with our midfield, they will be fightinmg for every ball and are a big srong side.

Just the type of team we struggle against, so if our players go out with the "Billy Biggun's" attitude expect us to lose.

My pick in midfield would be:

Palmer-Luongo- Bannan- Shaw-Penny., if all are fit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bleeder said:

So people aren't allowed to think that he's a very poor footballer and say so?

But they are allowed to criticise Reach and/or Luongo?

Is that reyt or have I missed summat?

How was Pellupessy at fault for the last 3 goals at Millwall?.

Football is a team game, and it just seem's to me that the players have had their usual 'Bounce' with a new face in charge and have reverted to their usual attitude.

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
23 hours ago, Al98 said:

There's no surprise that our last 4 games have come down to the midfield battle. 

We lose to a Coventry team fielding their first choice midfield. Which is quality to say the least with Hamer, Sheaf and Matty James.

We then beat a Preston team who had 1 of their CMs in Alan Brown at RB. Sold Bean Pearson to Bournemouth the day before and had to bench Daniel Johnson. So an entire substitute midfield 3 of Ledson, Whiteman and Molumby. All of which are fairly weak in terms of physicality. 

We then play a Bournemouth team who have 3 defensive midfielders sat on the bench in Billing, Lerma and Pearson. And for some reason they start with a very attacking midfield 3 of Stanislas a winger, Cook a CAM and a box to box in Wilshere. Once again nothing physicality wise what so ever. 

We then come up against Millwall, known for physicality, who fielded a very strong midfield 3 of Kieftenbald, Leonard and Ryan Woods. 

Coincidence? No. The Midfield battle seems to determine our games every week and its vital that we win this battle against Wycombe. 

Based on that, this is how I would line up on Tuesday night:

GK - Westwood

CB - Urhoghide 

CB - Lees

CB - Dunkley

RWB - Harris

CM - Hutchinson 

CM - Pelupessy 

CM - Bannan

LWB - Reach 

ST - Windass 

ST - Patterson 

Close but Pelupessy should never start for us again! Also I’d be tempted to give Green a go instead of Windass