Neil Thompson "We had words after the Coventry game"

2 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

The squad we have is very capable.

*puts tin hat on*

I would go as far as to say we are only a striker away from top six.

We just need a manager who can get them to play at 100% for the team every game.

Maybe NT could be that man.

It's a moot point, we haven't got the striker and with so many contracts up at the end of the year we will never know.

We will soon know how Thompson does as a first team coach because that in reality is all he is. He isn't a manager in the traditional sense. That worries me because I don't think we have a good enough recruitment set up to bring in the right players at the right time. Without some control of recruitment NT is going to get fired at some point because of incompetent recruitment which he isn't responsible for. The fact that we didn't bring in the players we needed in the last window proves the point.

The recruitment team doesn't just need to bring players, in they also need to know when to let players go. That obviously hasn't happened in the past. Maybe the recruitment team are capable on all fronts but DC meddles. Whatever the cause we seem to get a lot more wrong than right and NT will carry the can for it. His face fits for now because he isn't rocking the boat. He's also done very well as first team coach.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pieman said:

I wouldn’t say top six, but I think you are right, we have a squad capable of staying up. Our defence is currently our strength. We need a couple of better fullbacks. Midfield needs more legs and we need a couple of strikers who can create chances of their own. The current squad is nowhere near as bad as some would try to make out.

Nearly a full team then  lol

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Our squad isn't a squad that should be getting relegated. Our results over the past six or so games tells you that.

It doesn't, it tells you they have hit a bit of form over the last six games. No more, no less. Consistency over 46 games will tell you if they are a team that should be going down. 

Thompson "words" seem to have done the trick

Probably helps that those words didn't include 'go and train with the U23s' or 'just stay at home until the next manager gets here'.

Also using the young players well. Integrating them in the right way. 

Shame most of them will be able to walk in the summer. 

But that's another matter. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Talk of being a top-six squad is way off in my eyes - we simply don't have the creativity or firepower to compete at the top end of this division. 

To get top six, you generally need to get 1.5-2 goals scored per game.  We have averaged 0.7 goals per game.  

We are a long way off.

I think we need, as a minimum next season:

- a competent GK who can play most games

- a left back and right back

-  midfield beast

- two strikers with pace

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Thompson "words" seem to have done the trick

Probably helps that those words didn't include 'go and train with the U23s' or 'just stay at home until the next manager gets here'.

Also using the young players well. Integrating them in the right way. 

Shame most of them will be able to walk in the summer. 

But that's another matter. 

Now, now. I don't think they will walk in the summer.

27 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

It doesn't, it tells you they have hit a bit of form over the last six games. No more, no less. Consistency over 46 games will tell you if they are a team that should be going down. 

Or Thompson is getting what Pulis couldn't out of them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

For the last 5 seasons we have had a midfield that, on it's day, can out play most teams, when they give them time and space, but when teams close our midfield down and put them under pressure they have backed off, putting the defence under pressure and leaving too much space between them and the attack.

I hope that we are now attending to that problem.

To be honest you can probably count on one hand the amount of times we have outplayed anyone in the last 3 years or so. Possible exception is the little purple patch under Bruce. 
It’s a cliche but it is true that the league table doesn’t lie. The combination of manager and squad has been below average in this league. 
IMO the problem has been more the managers than the players. Jos, Monk and Pulis did not get the best out of the resource at their disposal but the resource isn’t and wasn’t great. 
I don’t think we’ll avoid relegation this season. I hope I’m wrong because I don’t buy into the argument that relegation and administration is worth it to get rid of DC. I want DC to go though. 
Whether we stay up or not, Id prefer if the majority of the out of contracters move on, we get a new manager and he (or she) is allowed to build a balanced squad within our means and within FFP constraints

Recruitment team is pants

NT is a coach out of his depth

The squad is poor

We need a striker

This league is the worst

Well, we just managed to eek 6 points out of two sides that had beaten us before we even kicked a ball

Something is right and fair play, we look much better as a team right now

Whatever you're saying NT, keep saying it