Neil Thompson "We had words after the Coventry game"

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We’ve taken 6 points off Bournemouth and Boro, drawn v Swansea and Watford. and pushed Brentford and Norwich close.

So yes we have the squad clearly.

Agree about the striker. 

We've also lost to Luton, Wycombe, Coventry, Huddersfield, Forest, and lost 3-0 against Rotherham.

It's the games in our mini-league in the bottom half of the table that we really need to be winning, and so far our record reads 4 wins and 6 losses from 12 games.

Unless we start to make life a little harder for our relegation rivals, then we'll most likely be in League One next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It was the way we scored the winning goal that should give those players a boost..

Three quick passes deep in midfield than a sweeping move upfield by Reach and Harris creating the sort of chance Rhodes used to thrive on. We’ve rarely seen attacking moves like that for three seasons now. IF...Thompson and Bullen can squeeze more of that out of these players they deserve to stay in charge.

44 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

The problem with the squad it's not as weak as people seem to think it is, on the otherhand it's not as strong as it seems on paper. 

Westwood, Iorfa, Lees, Bannon, Luongo and Rhodes on first glance seem a good base to build a squad about. 

The issue being we dont seem to have had a plan for over 12 months on how to attack 

i agree, getting up the pitch appears painfully difficult most of the time

27 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We’ve taken 6 points off Bournemouth and Boro, drawn v Swansea and Watford. and pushed Brentford and Norwich close.

So yes we have the squad clearly.

Agree about the striker. 

As always, context is key. Bournmouth are on a terrible run, have massively underperformed, Boro not playing great when we beat them and they had 21 shots to our 5, Swansea we should have lost and Watford were having a terrible time under the now departed manager. Norwich we looked ok, until we conceded then we folded as we could not longer hold on with against their 70% possession. 

For all those 'pushed em close' we've had Coventry twice turn us over, Wycombe make us look league two standard, rovrum smash us, barnsley comfortably brush us aside and luton rock up to hillsborough and do a number on us. 

we're lacking consistency and hopefully we can be consistently decent from now on. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We've also lost to Luton, Wycombe, Coventry, Huddersfield, Forest, and lost 3-0 against Rotherham.

It's the games in our mini-league in the bottom half of the table that we really need to be winning, and so far our record reads 4 wins and 6 losses from 12 games.

Unless we start to make life a little harder for our relegation rivals, then we'll most likely be in League One next season.

Absolutely.

Wycombe!

As shíte as we’ve been this season under two of the worst managers in recent history... it’s worth remembering that we’d be 17th if it weren’t for the points deduction.

We’ve been woeful at times — some games have been as bad as any I can remember over the past 20 years — yet we’ve somehow accrued more points than 7 other teams. If Thompson can keep the players motivated and if our key players can stay fit, I’m hopeful we can just about scrape enough points to stay up.

We’ve got some decent players, we just haven’t had a good team for the majority of the season. Thompson seems to be doing a good job of changing that so far, long may it continue 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Sorry mate, that tin hat is fusing with your skull, can't defend that at all lol 

However, I'm very much suffering from bizarre mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm convinced we're getting relegated this season, to the point where I annoyingly announce it to my flatmate every single matchday. On the other, I think for the last five games (before each match), I've looked at the starting XI and gone "Ya know what, I'd be surprised and disappointed if that matchday squad ended up getting relegated". I look at the team and I think it looks a lot like lower mid-table obscurity. 

Can't make my mind up at all

Im With you on that. All about togetherness and it seems to be coming. The players are as good as most squads top 3-4 apart. The next 3 games will be telling. 

33 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

The Rotherham game was the worst for me. We were a disgrace that night, like a Sunday league team who’d just met in the car park before kick off. I’d even go as far to say it’s the worst Wednesday performance I’ve ever seen, and there’s some strong competition!

I take it you didn't watch the Huddersfield game? That was even worse, at least we had 11 players on the pitch for the whole game instead of just the 45 v Rotherham.

1 hour ago, lanzaroteowl said:

The squad we have is very capable.

*puts tin hat on*

I would go as far as to say we are only a striker away from top six.

We just need a manager who can get them to play at 100% for the team every game.

Maybe NT could be that man.

I actually don't 100% disagree; I said before the season started and throughout that our centre backs and centre midfield, when all fit and on form, is certainly top half. It's out wide and up front we are lacking. Top 6 maybe not but certainly top half

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Typical Wednesday for as long as I can remember. 

We'd beat Manchester United then lose to Wimbledon etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

I take it you didn't watch the Huddersfield game? That was even worse, at least we had 11 players on the pitch for the whole game instead of just the 45 v Rotherham.

I’d suppressed that one from my memory. I think I switched it on after they’d scored and didn’t pay much attention for the rest of the game!

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

As always, context is key. Bournmouth are on a terrible run, have massively underperformed, Boro not playing great when we beat them and they had 21 shots to our 5, Swansea we should have lost and Watford were having a terrible time under the now departed manager. Norwich we looked ok, until we conceded then we folded as we could not longer hold on with against their 70% possession. 

For all those 'pushed em close' we've had Coventry twice turn us over, Wycombe make us look league two standard, rovrum smash us, barnsley comfortably brush us aside and luton rock up to hillsborough and do a number on us. 

we're lacking consistency and hopefully we can be consistently decent from now on. 

We beat Coventry at home 

2 hours ago, lanzaroteowl said:

The squad we have is very capable.

*puts tin hat on*

I would go as far as to say we are only a striker away from top six.

We just need a manager who can get them to play at 100% for the team every game.

Maybe NT could be that man.

I wouldn’t say top six, but I think you are right, we have a squad capable of staying up. Our defence is currently our strength. We need a couple of better fullbacks. Midfield needs more legs and we need a couple of strikers who can create chances of their own. The current squad is nowhere near as bad as some would try to make out.

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

Coventreh are so much better then Wensdeh, that one of the twice they turned you over they managed to do it by losing 0-1.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If we play like we have in our last two games, we will. If we play like we did under Pulis, with 10 men for most of the game, we won’t. We were the better team for long spells against Wycombe and Forest. Even stevens with Cov and outplayed by Luton for long spells. Rotherham.....well, that was as bad as it gets. Even if we tried, I don’t think we could be that bad again.