Neil Thompson "We had words after the Coventry game"

'Should' being the operative word, there.

Let's hope it does, and we avoid a return to the kind of performances we've seen far too often this season which have kept us struggling to escape the bottom three.

To be fair, when Bournemouth equalised, I fully expected us to go on to lose that game. That we not only avoided defeat, but actually won, should be a real confidence boost for the players.

Fingers crossed, eh?

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

The squad we have is very capable.

*puts tin hat on*

I would go as far as to say we are only a striker away from top six.

We just need a manager who can get them to play at 100% for the team every game.

Maybe NT could be that man.

Sorry mate, that tin hat is fusing with your skull, can't defend that at all lol 

However, I'm very much suffering from bizarre mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm convinced we're getting relegated this season, to the point where I annoyingly announce it to my flatmate every single matchday. On the other, I think for the last five games (before each match), I've looked at the starting XI and gone "Ya know what, I'd be surprised and disappointed if that matchday squad ended up getting relegated". I look at the team and I think it looks a lot like lower mid-table obscurity. 

Can't make my mind up at all

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Sorry mate, that tin hat is fusing with your skull, can't defend that at all lol 

However, I'm very much suffering from bizarre mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm convinced we're getting relegated this season, to the point where I annoyingly announce it to my flatmate every single matchday. On the other, I think for the last five games (before each match), I've looked at the starting XI and gone "Ya know what, I'd be surprised and disappointed if that matchday squad ended up getting relegated". I look at the team and I think it looks a lot like lower mid-table obscurity. 

Our squad isn't a squad that should be getting relegated. Our results over the past six or so games tells you that.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

I agree.

The problem is that lower mid-table obscurity can lead to relegation if you knock six points off in the final reckoning. We're struggling to overcome the hurdle Chansiri placed in our path at the moment.

Talk of being a top-six squad is way off in my eyes - we simply don't have the creativity or firepower to compete at the top end of this division. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StudentOwl said:

Not saying we shouldn't add a few more in the close season.

Just saying the squad we have have Massively underperformed. 

• Like 1

The problem with the squad it's not as weak as people seem to think it is, on the otherhand it's not as strong as it seems on paper. 

Westwood, Iorfa, Lees, Bannon, Luongo and Rhodes on first glance seem a good base to build a squad about. 

The issue being we dont seem to have had a plan for over 12 months on how to attack 

• Like 2

For the last 5 seasons we have had a midfield that, on it's day, can out play most teams, when they give them time and space, but when teams close our midfield down and put them under pressure they have backed off, putting the defence under pressure and leaving too much space between them and the attack.

I hope that we are now attending to that problem.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

The squad we have is very capable.

*puts tin hat on*

I would go as far as to say we are only a striker away from top six.

We just need a manager who can get them to play at 100% for the team every game.

Maybe NT could be that man.

We’ve taken 6 points off Bournemouth and Boro, drawn v Swansea and Watford. and pushed Brentford and Norwich close.

So yes we have the squad clearly.

Agree about the striker. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We’ve taken 6 points off Bournemouth and Boro, drawn v Swansea and Watford. and pushed Brentford and Norwich close.

So yes we have the squad clearly.

Agree about the striker. 

We've only played Boro once this season but yes we do seem to do ok against the top teams, if Pelupessy had made it 2-0 with that chance at Norwich we'd have beaten them aswel. Also took a point off Reading having played the whole 2nd half with 10 men.

• Thanks 1

Along with other posters I’m conflicted as to whether we are going down or not.

In one sense Thomson is just showing how much difference decent coaching makes. He has also shown that substitutions do indeed make a difference. Often under Monk I would be baffled by the changes made at the end of a game. Under Thompson I can always see what he’s trying to do and sometimes it even works!

But if it will be enough I don’t know. 
I suppose on points earned we are out of the relegation zone so if we are as good from here on in as we have been to date we should stay up? Maybe? So many games to play and so little time to play them! 

Other teams have strengthened and we have not. My biggest fear is that we run out of gas on the final straight when the end is in sight.

Anyway, I’ve decided to enjoy the ride come what may! Am looking forward to the next few games which in itself is good news!

As for Thomson please don’t make him ‘manager’ leave things like they are. Forever if need be! Never change a successful system!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Good to hear Thompson isn't afraid to stand up to players and be demanding.
Thought one of the problems he could have is players wouldn't have enough respect for a coach who had been with the youth team for a few years before. Think we all know footballers can have precious egos at times.

Agreed. I was worried about the level of authority he would have. But the lads seem to love him. I can’t remember the last time I saw the team as motivated as they are now. I suppose some people gain respect by just being good at their job?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1