Paul Cook turns down short term contract with Sheffield Wednesday

4 minutes ago, Prince said:

You back your own ability don't you? If he was confident then he would take the job for 4 month's and make it impossible not to be offered an extension by winning games and keeping us up. Not bothered either way about Cook but surely unless he has something else lined up employment wise then you take the 4 month's?

Maybe he is backing himself and feels he is worth more than a 4 month contract and someone else will give it to him.

• Like 5

It's either :

A) multi-billion investment in the summer who won't want to pay off Cook's £250/week contract.

B) manager who is currently not performing as well as last year and going to be out of a job in the summer, basically Klopp.

C) Chansiri hasn't a clue about anything.

I'm going for A.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

It's either :

A) multi-billion investment in the summer who won't want to pay off Cook's £250/week contract.

B) manager who is currently not performing as well as last year and going to be out of a job in the summer, basically Klopp.

I'm going for A.

Definitely C 

• Like 1

It's no surprise he's turned it down if we only offered a 4 month contract.

Cook's got a decent CV with a track record of promotions under his belt. If he's going to take over a club in our current state and with Chansiri calling the shots as he does, then he's risking his reputation for very little return should Chansiri decides to part ways in 16 weeks' time.

He'd basically be a caretaker manager in all but name, and the players would know it, too. We've seen in the past how they have it in them to down tools when the mood takes them. If Cook had to make some difficult decisions, he might struggle to assert his authority if the players know he's likely on his way in a matter of weeks anyway.

It's fair enough if parachuting into a crisis club and firefighting isn't what he fancies at this point in his career, especially after what he had to contend with at Wigan. Much better for him to wait for a more long-term project, even if it means starting from a lower division and building the team up, as he has several times before.

As for us, I dread to think who might fancy the job if these are the terms on offer.

• Love 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

It's either :

I'm going for A.

I wish it was A but it’s probably C.

• Like 1

No manager with any pride is going to take a job where he has little control over football matters on a 4 month contract.

As was speculated weeks ago, the only candidates Chansiri will attract are chancers and the desperate.

The irony is that Chansiri is more than likely to get us relegated, in which case we'd be lucky to get Cook, given his credentials in getting teams promoted from L1.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

Can’t see the issue with a 4 month contract , 

a) we don’t know what league we might be I 

b) Cook maybe a total disaster 

c) im sure there would be an option to extend if he kept us up 

tbf I’m glad his rejected it, if he isn’t confident he can’t do the job - personally I don’t want him - thought he wanted to prove himself obviously not 

Don’t you think that the message given by a 4 month contract is worrying if you’re  a prospective manager though ? It says the club has no confidence it has selected the right man & has no medium or long term plan. Also undermines your authority with the players before you start. 

22 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Why is D.C. only offering 4 month contracts

Currently be paying off two other managers (monk/pulis) 

Probley til end of season and then extension if we stay up 

Makes sense to me 

7 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Not sure it's that straightforward.

He's not going to get a PL job, probably wouldn't apply for many L1 jobs, so really only looking at Championship. Not that many opportunities.

there has been opportunities 

- Notts forest 

- Cardiff 

- Derby 

- Watford 

- Bournemouth (start of season) 

They all opted not for Cook - Cardiff who probably is the ideal club for him went for McCarthy 

Like I said if he was that sought after , he would have been snapped up by now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2