Paul Cook turns down short term contract with Sheffield Wednesday

Just now, Minesapint said:

There appears to be a number on here confident that a change of ownership is in the offing. If that is the case, and I wouldn’t be surprised,  the sensible option is surely to give the job to Thompson.  All this talk of having a manager who has full control is irrelevant with that scenario. If a change is going to happen what is required is a coach until the Summer and ( recognising this could go wrong tonight) Thompson has done well so far

Not a clue why people think he’s leaving. He’s said he wants to pass the club on to his son. He told fans to buy him out if they aren’t happy.

He’s not going anywhere soon.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not a clue why people think he’s leaving. He’s said he wants to pass the club on to his son. He told fans to buy him out if they aren’t happy.

We are in funny times and you tend to reassess when detached from what is happening.  So while I would have agreed with you I would not be surprised by a change of mind. 

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I agree, those who heard the rumour said it's contingent on staying up and the way Chansiri is sabotaging the club, that's looking debatable.

The only hope I have is that there is some shred of truth to the rumours.

Cook has been out of work for 6 months & hasn’t been employed by any of the Championship clubs looking for managers this season.  

I would have thought keeping our basket case of a club in the Championship would have raised his profile irrespective of contract length.

Personally think there’s more to it than just contract length. Ability to work with DC, input into transfers this window are the more likely reasons for him to turn the job down.

2 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Short contract makes sense to me, you still make good money. Keep us up then gets his longer contract. Money rules peoples decisions at the end of the day.

I can’t see the issue, can understand managers want security but an incentive for both parties. Time to move to other targets.. 

14 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Depends if you think we're a bike with a flat tyre. I don't. If the remit is is to keep us up, if Cook doesn't fancy it that's down to a lack of confidence in his own ability..

Can't recruit players he wants, doesn't even have time to work with the players he'd inherit due to fixtures. Would be a hiding to nothing, putting your reputation on the line, not to mention relocating for a short term job, working for someone who seemingly doesn't value you 

Edited by striker

57 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 18.16.26.jpg

Clubs sacking record?

We held on to Jos and Monk for too long.

If the reason he has turned us down is the length of the contract then he has gone down in my estimation. Should back himself to do well and earn a longer contract rather than want the gravy train to turn up first. 

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think we know what he really means

Not the sacking record - just the reputation

I thought you'd be pleased, you never wanted him did you?

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I did yeah

Thought he'd be a positive person to have around

I'm not pleased to not land him at all 

Think offering a new manager a 6 month contract is a total joke

So all those posts about his managerial record and taking Wigan down, what was all that about? 

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

It’s not a vote of confidence is it. “Have it for 4 months if you want it”.

To me it smacks of Chansiri seeing what a pickle he's got us into with his 12 point deductions, not signing players, and managerial horror show appointments and then saying to Cook 'You can have this season to prove you're the man by keeping us up before I commit'

NO chance anyone decent will take that offer

• Like 5

Owlstalk Shop