Paul Cook turns down short term contract with Sheffield Wednesday

Just now, Markowski77 said:

there has been opportunities 

- Notts forest 

- Cardiff 

- Derby 

- Watford 

- Bournemouth (start of season) 

They all opted not for Cook - Cardiff who probably is the ideal club for him went for McCarthy 

Like I said if he was that sought after , he would have been snapped up by now

Cook was first choice for Cardiff. But like us they offered him a short term deal.

Fair play to Cook. Would be an awful career move to accept a short term deal with the majority of his management career ahead of him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Markowski77 said:

there has been opportunities 

- Notts forest 

- Cardiff 

- Derby 

- Watford 

- Bournemouth (start of season) 

They all opted not for Cook - Cardiff who probably is the ideal club for him went for McCarthy 

Like I said if he was that sought after , he would have been snapped up by now

Reports Cardiff offered it him, but for 4 months! Same as us. 

I agree with you, there’s been plenty of jobs and he hasn’t had one.

• Like 1

Since he bought the club he has had to pay the contracts of every manager he’s fired.

He is probably still paying Garry Monk and Pullis at least until their contracts expire or until they get new jobs when maybe any payment owing might cease.

If he employs another manager on say a 2 year contract and they fall short of his expectation then that’s another high cost he would have to pay - his bank account must look a bit sad right now.

By trying to get a new manager to accept a short term contract he could get shut quite cheaply  if we end up in League 1.

The question is ‘what decent manager or coach would come on those terms.’

It’s now looking increasing like Thompson will get the job until the end of the season.

But let’s face it with Chansiri you just never know until it happens.

• Like 1

No idea what chansiri is thinking offering a short term contract if This is is intention them to evaluate at the end of the season he already has his man in charge currently 

nobody of worth will accept a deal there will be many managerial casualties coming up with the run the EFL clubs are about to go on. They will just hang tight another month or two maybe that’s chansiri as thought process he will have more to chose from over the next couple of months 

if that’s the case give it Thompson until the end of the season so we have short term stability 

3 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

Short term contracts make sense for a club in our position. 

We can't afford to keep paying managers off.

I think for once its good business sense

Or don't make the severance for the whole contract, but for set periods, so not paying the whole amount, but some potential security.

Guest mrbluesky

At least the chairman is consistent.

Please go and do your best to sell the club DC, Give Mike Ashley a bell, see if he can put you in touch with a buyer!

1 minute ago, OwlOnWheels said:

Or don't make the severance for the whole contract, but for set periods, so not paying the whole amount, but some potential security.

I have no idea how it all works behind the scene's to be fair.

However I can't imagine many managers signing a contract under those terms

I wouldn't have minded him, but had doubts he'd come anyway. 

He'd just left one basket case of a club that was a complete disaster off the pitch with a chairman not easy to deal with. Why would you want to take another job on knowing it was in a similar situation. Well unless your a glutton for punishment, youd be looking for a far more cushdy and less drama filled  place to spend most of your day at work or I would anyway. 

6 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

Short term contracts make sense for a club in our position. 

We can't afford to keep paying managers off.

I think for once its good business sense

But we're not in a position to dictate terms.

If you're a parachute club in a healthy position in the league you can pick and choose.

We can't.

• Like 2

To just offer short term contract basically 4 months with no guarantee of offer of longer contract if you keep club up you will not get any body worth their salt to take the job. DC's behaviour will also have put a premium on job, if you take job get sacked and Chairman goes on internet and spots off about you for an hour a manager with a few years ahead of him will not commit to a few months in such a scenario.

Managers need security as much as anybody else and job that needs doing at Wednesday will take years not months. 

With Cook refusing short term job offer at Cardiff we do the same interesting policy. This is just to try and take heat off when they put a donkey in place.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Take the job, keep us up, play good football, get a longer contract. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Not as simple as that. We've wasted the transfer window, not that Chansiri would relinquish control and fixture wise have no time to work with the players on the training ground  to make any sort of material impact.

It's like being offered a parcel courier job on a trial, to be extended if you hit your targets, but then being provided with a bike, with a flat tyre. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Chansiri needs to understand that he can't have everything on his own terms. Cook will want the stability of a reasonable length of contract, as will other reasonable candidates.

Are we to limit our search only to those so desperate they'll take the job on a short term deal?

Only those so desperate they'll take the job on a short term deal that also have a particular agent...

• Like 3