Paul Cook turns down short term contract with Sheffield Wednesday

Guest Grandad
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Given our current position, I fully understand why we are probably looking at an initial 6 month contract. 

I don't

I would hope we are looking at someone who can

a. give us the best chance of staying up

b. give us the best chance of getting promotion from League 1 if we don't stay up

c. give us the best chance of building a squad that can re-establish us in the Championship

d. knows the Championship and League 1 and can pick from players in both divisions to build that squad.

Rather than another short-term appointment that is just a sticking plaster

It’s still not dead with Cook, I said previously the longer it goes on the worse it’s going to get. However, we are in a position where DC’s hands are tied, Cook is the best person in our current situation and I have a feeling that an 18 month offer maybe put in front of Cook. 

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I don't

I would hope we are looking at someone who can

a. give us the best chance of staying up

b. give us the best chance of getting promotion from League 1 if we don't stay up

c. give us the best chance of building a squad that can re-establish us in the Championship

d. knows the Championship and League 1 and can pick from players in both divisions to build that squad.

Rather than another short-term appointment that is just a sticking plaster

The problem with that is, we may need a different type of manager to get us back up, if we were relegated. It can be done, Wilder did it for them lot, but what’s needed in league one, is totally different to what we should be doing in the championship Our attack, that struggles painfully at championship level, would actually be well suited to league one. 
I would imagine DC sees the way forward, if we stay up, the appointment of an overseas coach, who could work with, and improve the players. The recruitment team, would continue to bring in the players, perhaps now overseen by a technical director. Not sure that would be the best approach, were we to be relegated. There are not many of overseas coaches working in the lower leagues. 
Of the managers we’ve been linked with, I believe Cook would be the most likely to get us back up if we go down. Would he be the best candidate to take the club forward in the championship? Maybe not.