Neil Thompson on if we'll get any new signings this transfer window

24 minutes ago, blueandwhitematt said:

With every passing day of this window (and not getting into all his own faults whilst he was here), its becoming increasingly evident why Pulis was given the boot.  He wanted players in, and he wanted it doing early - and for whatever reason, we aren't in a position to do it.  It's what a lot of us speculated at the time, but now we've gone from wanting to get 4/5 in, to hearing word that we might see 1 or 2 if we're lucky (and they may be the usual deadline day bargain bin deals).

Its a huge gamble from Chansiri.  I just hope he isn't letting the recent purple patch cloud his judgment that everything is OK playing squad wise now he's changed the manager, and that we can get through to the end of the season.  As we've seen with this bunch on numerous occasions, when its going OK they are fine, but as soon as they hit a bad run of form, it tends to go on for a long time and they don't drag themselves out of it sharpish.  One more of those from now until the season end will probably see us relegated.  I'm not saying January is a good time to recruit, but we've got ourselves into a right mess that needs remedying ASAP with some additions.

However, if we're skint then we're skint.  But then I think they would be better off resetting everyone's expectations - this is what we have to work with to stay up, and try to create a bit of a siege mentality around the place.

I think you have hit the nail on the head here.

Pulis (although i was not a fan) knew what the crack was and knew we needed 7/8 players of quality this window. This would have been a large outlay and to be honest Pulis was not pulling up any trees with what he was doing. Chansiri wasnt willing to do the necessary money wise and realised his mistake in appointing him and pulled the plug.

It is a massive gamble all this has you have said. If we stay up i can really see Chansiri going for it again pulling in a new squad like he did under CC but if we are relegated were doomed.

That being said i do think he will bring in a couple this window, one maybe Hutch. But they wont come in until the end to save on the cost.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

"It’s not something I can be concerned about. The players have done great with what we’ve got, we’ve got results and we do have the whole of January That’s something we’ll deal with accordingly.

"It’s like it is with anything in terms of signing players, it takes time.

"I have been head down in the football at this moment in time. I’ve had brief discussions, but that’s been about it."

"I'm sure the chairman and the recruitment department will look at that," he said. "And I’m sure if I’m still doing this job I may look at that, I may not.

"We’ll wait and see.

"We maybe need one or two bodies in to strengthen the squad. I think that’s been publicised."

" if we are going to bring people in, we’ll bring people in."

Sounds like a man with a plan :duntmatter:

Got nothing against the guy and he’s doing the best he can with what’s at his disposal but it just emphasises how quickly someone needs to be brought in. There’s no point the ‘recruitment team’ looking at players if they don’t suit what the new manager wants in terms of style. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueandwhitematt said:

With every passing day of this window (and not getting into all his own faults whilst he was here), its becoming increasingly evident why Pulis was given the boot.  He wanted players in, and he wanted it doing early - and for whatever reason, we aren't in a position to do it.  It's what a lot of us speculated at the time, but now we've gone from wanting to get 4/5 in, to hearing word that we might see 1 or 2 if we're lucky (and they may be the usual deadline day bargain bin deals).

Its a huge gamble from Chansiri.  I just hope he isn't letting the recent purple patch cloud his judgment that everything is OK playing squad wise now he's changed the manager, and that we can get through to the end of the season.  As we've seen with this bunch on numerous occasions, when its going OK they are fine, but as soon as they hit a bad run of form, it tends to go on for a long time and they don't drag themselves out of it sharpish.  One more of those from now until the season end will probably see us relegated.  I'm not saying January is a good time to recruit, but we've got ourselves into a right mess that needs remedying ASAP with some additions.

However, if we're skint then we're skint.  But then I think they would be better off resetting everyone's expectations - this is what we have to work with to stay up, and try to create a bit of a siege mentality around the place.

I fear this post is right on the money 

or lack of it 

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think if we don't bring in a couple of decent players in a couple of positions then we will probably go down and that would cost a lot more.
Also no decent manager will come in if he thinks we are likely to go down.
I know we have won 4 out of last 5 games but I don't expect the good run to continue for much longer.

That's if we are still in existence, course we need players but without a club to support its pointless. All football is fans need to pray this vaccine is going to work.

7 hours ago, blueandwhitematt said:

Yep totally agree although we needed the points it’s made dc think we ok? ( bit like the bit were he said to pulis maybe push play off? 😆) the man lives in Dream world and also looks more increasingly likely the pot nearly dry? Although that probably to do with covid19 aswell? Not filled with confidence we got lucky last cup league games, the team set up and players more or less and tactics like watching pulis , we’ll not fluke our way to safely that’s for sure 

8 hours ago, Daryl Catpiss said:

i know you'd never get the answer to this, but i'd love to see where NT thinks we need strengthening, versus what pulis wanted, what Chansiri's  advisors would advise him we need,.......plus maybe where monk would have attempted to strengthen, all side by side.  

It would be interesting.

Pots to pi55 in = zero

20 hours ago, Yorksowl said:

If he hasn't got a clue which is a tad unfair, he's in good company. From the chairmen to at least the last two managers. Except he is probably on a tenth of what they were earning. Is DC in a rush to replace him, doubt it. This will drag on until at least after the transfer window. Bookies are rubbing their hands on bets being placed on managers for the job when there might not be one. Hilarious. Most are coaches and not managers these days, and, I think he is getting on with, as the results show.

With haven't got a clue, meant re the finances and signings. No him as a coach. Think DC and advisors have the say. Although they might say do you want player a or b.

On 13/01/2021 at 12:23, Dutch McLovin said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head here.

Pulis (although i was not a fan) knew what the crack was and knew we needed 7/8 players of quality this window. This would have been a large outlay and to be honest Pulis was not pulling up any trees with what he was doing. Chansiri wasnt willing to do the necessary money wise and realised his mistake in appointing him and pulled the plug.

It is a massive gamble all this has you have said. If we stay up i can really see Chansiri going for it again pulling in a new squad like he did under CC but if we are relegated were doomed.

That being said i do think he will bring in a couple this window, one maybe Hutch. But they wont come in until the end to save on the cost.

Pulis wasn't ever going to get 7/8 players in this window and I'm sure he knew that

We are all forgetting one thing. It doesn't matter a jot how much money Chansiri has, its how much he's allowed to spend! FFP or its successors are the ones that now hold the purse strings. One reason why 'managers are not allowed to manage' is that they are not the ones who's money is being used, and the ones whom the FA will charge if any spending rules are broken.

I would love to manage SW .I'd immediately sign some of  the world's best young players, along with a super coach, a super physio team etc then let the Owner face the music.