Neil Thompson on if we'll get any new signings this transfer window

Just now, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Which manager publicly says we're trying to sign X, Y and Z?

I'm sure we will be in negotiations with players and clubs just got to make sure the deals are right for us.

Which manager's favoured formation, tactics, and style of football are we recruiting to, though?

It's all well and good sending the remnants of the recruitment team off to scout players, but without a clear remit from a manager as to what they should be looking for, we're only likely to end up with an even more incoherent squad than we already have.

Imagine signing for us, only to find out a week later that the new manager who's joined after you doesn't plan on using you.

• Like 2

Guest Therealrealist

We are brassick..we can hardly afford to pay the players we allready have...which superstars are you all expecting to come in and save our season?🤔😫

Football fans need to get real there is NO revenue coming but yet we all expect owners to be splashing out. Any movement this window will be minimal for the vast majority of clubs. That's the current reality, so get used to it. We must hope that clubs survive this current crisis.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

Football fans need to get real there is NO revenue coming but yet we all expect owners to be splashing out. Any movement this window will be minimal for the vast majority of clubs. That's the current reality, so get used to it. We must hope that clubs survive this current crisis.

Think if we don't bring in a couple of decent players in a couple of positions then we will probably go down and that would cost a lot more.
Also no decent manager will come in if he thinks we are likely to go down.
I know we have won 4 out of last 5 games but I don't expect the good run to continue for much longer.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think if we don't bring in a couple of decent players in a couple of positions then we will probably go down and that would cost a lot more.
Also no decent manager will come in if he thinks we are likely to go down.
I know we have won 4 out of last 5 games but I don't expect the good run to continue for much longer.

I think the cost of relegation is the major issue here, if we were to go down it would not only cost us more than a couple of loans, but set us back years being in league one

Appreciate that it is difficult for the owner, but it is a vital decision to make

I wonder if everything hangs on some outgoings, hence we are on 13th of January and nothing has happened yet?

Nice to see we’re operating in a way Chansiri has said on countless occasions that we don’t operate in. 

If we’re a club that sources the players and presents them to a manager for his opinion, and in some cases sign them regardless of that opinion. Then that’s fair enough, we won’t be the first or the last. But at least admit it in public, we all know that’s what’s been happening.

• Like 1

With every passing day of this window (and not getting into all his own faults whilst he was here), its becoming increasingly evident why Pulis was given the boot.  He wanted players in, and he wanted it doing early - and for whatever reason, we aren't in a position to do it.  It's what a lot of us speculated at the time, but now we've gone from wanting to get 4/5 in, to hearing word that we might see 1 or 2 if we're lucky (and they may be the usual deadline day bargain bin deals).

Its a huge gamble from Chansiri.  I just hope he isn't letting the recent purple patch cloud his judgment that everything is OK playing squad wise now he's changed the manager, and that we can get through to the end of the season.  As we've seen with this bunch on numerous occasions, when its going OK they are fine, but as soon as they hit a bad run of form, it tends to go on for a long time and they don't drag themselves out of it sharpish.  One more of those from now until the season end will probably see us relegated.  I'm not saying January is a good time to recruit, but we've got ourselves into a right mess that needs remedying ASAP with some additions.

However, if we're skint then we're skint.  But then I think they would be better off resetting everyone's expectations - this is what we have to work with to stay up, and try to create a bit of a siege mentality around the place.

• Like 2